PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fill 5 Needs With First 5 Draft Picks - No Trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Round 1, Pick 31 (31st overall) - He could've gotten THAT guy in the sixth round!
  • Round 2, Pick 11 (43rd overall) - Who the hell is THAT?
  • Round 2, Pick 31 (63rd overall) - A special-teamer? WHY?
  • Round 3, Pick 31 (95th overall) - Rutgers? AGAIN?
  • Round 4, Pick 36 (136th overall) - I give up.

Is that your @captain stone impersonation?

So, because BB gets his kicks from effing with everybody, here's how it will probably go ...

#31 - TE
#43 - safety (3rd time's the charm ... right, captain?)
#63 - QB
#95 - DE
#136 - OT
#210 - QB
#219 - RB
UDFA - LB, CB/PR, RB/PR, WR/PR

Psst.. Richards was the 3rd time.. Don't tell Captain, though..

I did not want to step on the draft forum toes.

More a how much do you value positional selection and need to build the roster.

Belichick kind of does it ... we see it with the weird picks sometimes.

From what I know, mostly from War Room, positional needs definitely play a significant role in the picks they make, as Belichick requires his scouts to make the case for who the prospect will replace, both short and long term, and that goes into how they rate them. But they don’t stack the board by need, e.g...1st round OL, 2nd round TE etc etc.

I also believe, from everything I have heard over the years, that the Patriots actual draft board is much smaller than most, a few years ago I heard they had fewer than 40 players total on their draft board. I have no idea whether that is actually true or not, but if it is then I think they also keep track of players who are dropping on draft day who they may have thought they had no chance at. Wilfork being the best example of that, but also Malcolm Brown a few years ago.

In short, I don’t think they will take an OT in the first round if they don’t have a first round grade on them, and if their board is devoid of players with first round grades when their pick is coming up then that’s when you see them trade back. However, on rare occasions, if they see a prospect they really like and need they will move up to get them before another team can get to them, with Hightower and Chandler Jones good examples of this.

• Round 1, Pick 31 (31st overall) - He could've gotten THAT guy in the sixth round!

Followed by the discussion as to whether senility has set in?? Or has the game passed him by??....

Then all the prognostications of we are doomed and the end is near..

From what I know, mostly from War Room, positional needs definitely play a significant role in the picks they make, as Belichick requires his scouts to make the case for who the prospect will replace, both short and long term, and that goes into how they rate them. But they don’t stack the board by need, e.g...1st round OL, 2nd round TE etc etc.

I also believe, from everything I have heard over the years, that the Patriots actual draft board is much smaller than most, a few years ago I heard they had fewer than 40 players total on their draft board. I have no idea whether that is actually true or not, but if it is then I think they also keep track of players who are dropping on draft day who they may have thought they had no chance at. Wilfork being the best example of that, but also Malcolm Brown a few years ago.

In short, I don’t think they will take an OT in the first round if they don’t have a first round grade on them, and if their board is devoid of players with first round grades when their pick is coming up then that’s when you see them trade back. However, on rare occasions, if they see a prospect they really like and need they will move up to get them before another team can get to them, with Hightower and Chandler Jones good examples of this.

Agree, but I don't think that the Pats grade prospects by "round-worthiness".

I think they grade prospects by a point system and then rank them according to point-grade, regardless of position. So, if they have an OT graded 8.1, and a bunch of other players at other positions graded 7.7 - 7.9, if the OT falls within reach of a reasonable trade up from #31, and they're aware that one or more of the teams picking just ahead of them also has the guy graded high, they may pull the trigger - especially if their next highest-graded OT is fairly far down their board.

OTOH, if that OT doesn't fall (say, he gets pick at around #20), and they have that bunch of prospects at variety of positions who are ranked 7.7 - 7.9, and they believe that only one or two teams between the #20 and the #43 are likely to have significant interest in any of them, they might accept a trade down from the #31 for another 2nd-rounder (plus), to increase their opportunities to snag more than one of them.

Agree, but I don't think that the Pats grade prospects by "round-worthiness".

I think they grade prospects by a point system and then rank them according to point-grade, regardless of position. So, if they have an OT graded 8.1, and a bunch of other players at other positions graded 7.7 - 7.9, if the OT falls within reach of a reasonable trade up from #31, and they're aware that one or more of the teams picking just ahead of them also has the guy graded high, they may pull the trigger - especially if their next highest-graded OT is fairly far down their board.

OTOH, if that OT doesn't fall (say, he gets pick at around #20), and they have that bunch of prospects at variety of positions who are ranked 7.7 - 7.9, and they believe that only one or two teams between the #20 and the #43 are likely to have significant interest in any of them, they might accept a trade down from the #31 for another 2nd-rounder (plus), to increase their opportunities to snag more than one of them.

That’s probably closer to how they go about the draft.

The QB's all stink-
31: R1P31-EDGE MARCUS DAVENPORT
TEXAS-SAN ANTONIO
43: R2P11-LB LORENZO CARTER
GEORGIA
63: R2P31-TE HAYDEN HURST
SOUTH CAROLINA
95: R3P31-CB TARVARUS MCFADDEN
FLORIDA ST.
136: R4P36-OT WILL RICHARDSON
NORTH CAROLINA ST.
I’d be pretty happy if the draft shook out that way.

With the 95th overall pick, the New England Patriots select Janarion Grant, WR, Rutgers.

Although he's probably there at 136.

• Round 1, Pick 31 (31st overall) - LB
  • Round 2, Pick 11 (43rd overall) - LB
  • Round 2, Pick 31 (63rd overall) - TE
  • Round 3, Pick 31 (95th overall) - OT
  • Round 4, Pick 36 (136th overall) - WR

I think we have to look at OT, LB, DE and either cb or qb.

Our biggest need is OT and I don't think it's even close. Then I think it's a pass rusher followed by an athletic LB who can cover rb's.

It doesn’t seem to matter what a thread is about, the same people are to go into it and ***** and cry.

It doesn’t seem to matter what a thread is about, the same people are to go into it and ***** and cry.
agreed. There's only so many posters in the off season, it seems.

OT is by far the biggest need so I’ll be surprised if that’s not one of the first two picks unless a) they feel good about Garcia or b) Waddle or Fleming are coming back. My guess

31 - OT
43- LB/Edge (or reverse these two)
63 - QB
95 - DB (safety or CB)
136 - TE.

OT is by far the biggest need so I’ll be surprised if that’s not one of the first two picks unless a) they feel good about Garcia or b) Waddle or Fleming are coming back. My guess

31 - OT
63 - QB
95 - DB (safety or CB)
136 - TE.

Don't OTA start some time in April before the Draft? If so, then I think that will be when the Pats make a decision on Garcia and how much the "need" of an OT is..

31 - OT
63 - QB
95 - DB (safety or CB)
136 - TE.

I actually think you can work with a weakness at LT more easily than working with the fact that you don't have a single LB that can cover.......sure the offense may be a little less efficient, but there's nothing you can do with an ozone hole in the middle of your defense....makes it damned near impossible to cover anyone

even though he ran around and did his own thing, at least Collins could cover when he felt like it.......we don't have that ability now

I actually think you can work with a weakness at LT more easily than working with the fact that you don't have a single LB that can cover.......sure the offense may be a little less efficient, but there's nothing you can do with an ozone hole in the middle of your defense....makes it damned near impossible to cover anyone

When was the last time the Pats had a starting linebacker that could cover? Jamie Collins was the closest but even that’s debatable. B.B. values size over coverage ability. That may change but past history makes me doubt it.

Definitely bugs me and i really do not understand it.
I look at it as we are competing with 31 other teams and there is a salary cap.
But some seem to think we have some exclusive paths to beating the other teams in the off season.
The volume of work since 1999 speaks for itself.

When was the last time the Pats had a starting linebacker that could cover? Jamie Collins was the closest but even that’s debatable. B.B. values size over coverage ability. That may change but past history makes me doubt it.
I think it was more important when we did not plat so much big nickle and bigger dime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back