Feel Good Article on Cam Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.

CISGS

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Witness touched by Cam Newton's kindness to homeless person in Baltimore

Excerpts for those who won't click

Candace Gregory and her husband Danmon were taking an after-dinner stroll around the Inner Harbor of Baltimore on Wednesday night when they saw an unexpected gesture of generosity.

More unexpected was the person making the gesture.

It was Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton, in town for the preseason opener against the Ravens the following night.

Newton and a group of teammates were leaving dinner at Sullivan’s. The NFL MVP was carrying two bags of food that Candace later realized contained a full meal, not leftovers.

As they rounded the corner, Candace and Danmon -- in town for business -- watched as Newton gave one of the bags to a man sitting beside a bus stop with a sign that said, “Homeless Please help hungry -- food."

Backup quarterback Joe Webb, among those at dinner with Newton, said such acts of kindness from the first pick of the 2011 draft happen all the time. He said Newton often will order a to-go meal if he knows somebody near the restaurant is in need.

He said Newton sometimes will plan outings simply to deliver food to homeless.

I am sure that somehow, some way, some moron will downvote this and say "But wait, he dabs". Either way, it made me feel good to know that he does things like this when cameras are not anticipated.

"But wait, he dabs"
Please translate this Gen Y lingo so those of us with a little added maturity can know what you're referring to.

Please translate this Gen Y lingo so those of us with a little added maturity can know what you're referring to.
giphy.gif

So, being a display-behavior poser means he "dabs"? That's weak.

It's a dance move. It mimics taking too big of a hit and coughing into your elbow.

It's a dance move. It mimics taking too big of a hit and coughing into your elbow.
Thanks for the explanation. What a childish punk-ass maneuver. My opinion of him just took a nosedive.

Cam Newton is a front-running, attention-whore azzhole, period.

"Hey look at me and all the wonderful things I do!"

Feck him, now and forever.

It seems like there's always a few players across all sports that I like a lot but get a lot of hate for reasons I don't really understand. Right now, IMO it's Brady (I do believe I'd be in his corner even if I wasn't a Pats fan), Russell Westbrook (though I think people are coming around on him since Durant's heel turn), Newton and Cristiano Ronaldo. All three of them are guys who represent everything we claim to value about sports and athletes, yet the public at large has chosen essentially arbitrary reasons to pretty much just reject and dislike them anyway.

It seems like there's always a few players across all sports that I like a lot but get a lot of hate for reasons I don't really understand. Right now, IMO it's Brady (I do believe I'd be in his corner even if I wasn't a Pats fan), Russell Westbrook (though I think people are coming around on him since Durant's heel turn), Newton and Cristiano Ronaldo. All three of them are guys who represent everything we claim to value about sports and athletes, yet the public at large has chosen essentially arbitrary reasons to pretty much just reject and dislike them anyway.
Pretending to cough from a big toke on the field of play is something you value about sports and athletes? :confused:

Pretending to cough from a big toke on the field of play is something you value about sports and athletes? :confused:

No, I don't buy into hysterical moral panic or pearl clutching in general, so I don't really care about that at all. It's a non-issue to everyone except those who are really, really desperate to make it one, on par with people complaining that Brady's a prima donna because he called for a flag that one time.

What I do care about is the fact that he plays his sport's most important position at an MVP level, he does a lot for his community, he's by all accounts a good guy and a hard worker, he seems to be a pretty conscientious person who speaks with insight when he chooses to speak up at all, he clearly enjoys playing the game, and he's a unique talent. Good guy, excellent player, incredible athlete. What's not to like?

No, I don't buy into hysterical moral panic or pearl clutching in general, so I don't really care about that at all. It's a non-issue to everyone except those who are really, really desperate to make it one, on par with people complaining that Brady's a prima donna because he called for a flag that one time.

What I do care about is the fact that he plays his sport's most important position at an MVP level, he does a lot for his community, he's by all accounts a good guy and a hard worker, he seems to be a pretty conscientious person who speaks with insight when he chooses to speak up at all, he clearly enjoys playing the game, and he's a unique talent. Good guy, excellent player, incredible athlete. What's not to like?
Well, I guess if you interpret reasonable objections to unsportsmanlike behavior as "hysterical moral panic or pearl clutching," we have little chance of finding common ground. ;)

While I've got no issues with Newton, it's not all just pearl clutching. Some people who despise thieves would disagree with your claim that Newton is a good guy, and they'd at least have a reasonable basis for their take.

Well, I guess if you interpret reasonable objections to unsportsmanlike behavior as "hysterical moral panic or pearl clutching," we have little chance of finding common ground. ;)

There's nothing reasonable about calling someone a childish punk-ass and basing your entire opinion of them on the fact that they occasionally have the nerve to celebrate when they make a good play. Doubly so when it's based on something that you don't have any knowledge of, and you're relying on some guy on the internet's one-sentence summary that's widely disputed and probably isn't even correct.

The origins of the move are questionable and pretty irrelevant. I think its safe to say Cam did it because he likes to dance and he liked that move as his celebration, not because he was trying to show that he's a proud stoner. I still understand why the more ummm, traditionalist crowd dislikes his antics on the field, but I'm a fan

While I've got no issues with Newton, it's not all just pearl clutching. Some people who despise thieves would disagree with your claim that Newton is a good guy, and they'd at least have a reasonable basis for their take.

True, that's definitely the one legitimate issue on his record, and if people judge him for that then I may not agree but I think the reasoning behind it is at least reasonably defensible.

That's also not what I was referring to, though. My 'pearl clutching' comment was responding directly to the claim that he's a childish punk-ass who isn't worth valuing as an athlete because he sometimes does a celebratory dance move that someone once suggested might be modeled after taking a bong rip.

True, that's definitely the one legitimate issue on his record, and if people judge him for that then I may not agree but I think the reasoning behind it is at least reasonably defensible.

That's also not what I was referring to, though. My 'pearl clutching' comment was responding directly to the claim that he's a childish punk-ass who isn't worth valuing as an athlete because he sometimes does a celebratory dance move that someone once suggested might be modeled after taking a bong rip.

I have a good idea why people don't like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye