PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any way you look at it, they aren’t going to have “tons of cap space,” and guys like DMac, Van Noy, Gordon, Thuney, etc will be missed. I see rookie pacts replacing some of those guys, but there are also some that will leave a big hole. They’ll have to hit on some key picks both this year and next.
C'mon, just stop. Gordon ain't even playing this year. Throwing the babies out with the bathwater(KVN, Thuney) as well. You're right about the cap space but stop wringing your hands on the players. Things get done if BB wants them done.

I would agree that they will try to keep all 3 but the maths will probably not add up. Of the 3 in would think Jones will be the one most likely to be traded based purely on the qty of potential back ups already on the team, where the others positions do not ?

Also would the offensive line be built/retained on the basis of if Brady stays playing ? I mean he needs better protection to stay in the pocket compared to a different mobile qb who would utilise a more mobile offensive line. Regardless of who it is we could be looking some good players for sure

I just don't see Williams going anywhere but the Texans if push comes to shove. They have a ****ton of space and an even bigger need there. They would outbid most other teams easily.

I don’t disagree that Houston is more likely, I was going more in what I would like to see happen, not what’s more likely.

C'mon, just stop. Gordon ain't even playing this year.
Most of us are assuming that he’ll see the field at some point, and he was a dangerous weapon for the passing offense. The point is that there is Brady + 35 other free agents (some of them major), with approx. 40m dollars in space to work with. How would that be considered a good position to be in?

And what’s wrong with including some of the major guys who are free agents like KVN, Jones, or Thuney when someone claims that we’ll simply plug in another player on a rookie deal?

Most of us are assuming that he’ll see the field at some point, and he was a dangerous weapon for the passing offense. The point is that there is Brady + 35 other free agents (some of them major), with approx. 40m dollars in space to work with.
My point is let's play this year and see what BB's plan is for next year....cause there is one in pencil.

My point is let's play this year and see what BB's plan is for next year....cause there is one in pencil.
Sure, but my response was to a poster who had claimed that those free agents will just be replaced by guys on rookie pacts, and I’m not sure that it’s quite that simple.

It’s not as much hand wringing as it is pointing out that people aren’t taking the 36 free agents (including #12) into account when throwing around that 40m dollar figure, and some here have been doing it for about a year, now.

Any way you look at it, they aren’t going to have “tons of cap space,” and guys like DMac, Van Noy, Gordon, Thuney, etc will be missed. I see rookie pacts replacing some of those guys, but there are also some that will leave a big hole. They’ll have to hit on some key picks both this year and next.

Yes. And, that turnover doesn't seem any more significant than most years. The current year is actually pretty good in this regard, another reason why they'll have a shot at repeating.

Sure, but my response was to a poster who had claimed that those free agents will just be replaced by guys on rookie pacts, and I’m not sure that it’s quite that simple.

It’s not as much hand wringing as it is pointing out that people aren’t taking the 36 free agents (including #12) into account when throwing around that 40m dollar figure, and some here have been doing it for about a year, now.

There will always be lots of changes but next year could indeed be brutal.

There will always be lots of changes but next year could indeed be brutal.
I’m not as much suggesting that it could be brutal as much as I’m pointing out that the cap space is terribly misleading, and that there are a good amount of important free agents that aren’t factored into the 40m dollar number.

Perhaps I just don’t remember, but do we usually have close to 40 free agents due each year? I don’t believe the number is anywhere near that high. My post isn’t aimed at creating worry, but pointing out that the available cap space doesn’t look nearly as appealing now, once you factor in the unsigned players.

Wow. Some of you fine people are counting on Josh Gordon playing... (?) :confused:

Please note that I am not throwing stones at him. Apparently he has a mental illness :(

Last edited:
I don't think we re-sign any of them, and none are essential. Van Noy and Thuney will likely get $12m+ in free agency, and Jones could hit $8-10m a year. Given our depth at CB and LB, that all seems a bit rich.

We could be thin at LB and CB in 2020.
I don't think we re-sign any of them, and none are essential. Van Noy and Thuney will likely get $12m+ in free agency, and Jones could hit $8-10m a year. Given our depth at CB and LB, that all seems a bit rich.

Anxiety or depression.
Certainly not a laughing matter. :(
I'm not going to populate this thread with links.
Needless to say Josh has been through a lot.

Belichick will do what he can to sign extensions. And, yes, contracts need to be structured to recognize that we have relatively little cap room in 2020. My suggestion is that whenever we quote 2020 cap "room", we should use a number reduced by $25M for Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back