PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extend Rex !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me wrong LongD, Burk has looked great since his return. Run, catch, STs the guy is hitting it. But decision making after a couple of good games is knee jerk. Let's see a longer sample of keeping it up and staying healthy. If he can do that through the next 6 games I'm on board!

If we wait until he proves it more, his price tag will go up. If we can get him now for a midrange cost extension I think I would do it.

It's not exageration to say that the RBs this year have been gold. Then, factor in their very reasonable price tags and you appreciate them even more.

Even with G lagging a bit behind, I am very very impressed with the group.

Lets not put him in canton just yet. He hasn’t even played 100 snaps here.

He's played 94 on offense and 42 on ST.

So a total of 136 snaps.

You're wrong. :D

Now can we sign him?
I meant offense.
And sure sign him because regardless of what else you do at RB he had some kind of role.

A player with that skillset could probably go in the top ten of the draft--my guess would be around 8th overall.

I am a bit slow to the punch line. I just realized the McCaffrey reference while watching MNF. LMAO me. I added both players draft profiles

CM.jpg

via www.nfldraftscout.com

rb.jpg
A few of questions for folks:

1. So it appears CM is a bit quicker on everything besides 20 yard shuttle. How does that quickness measure vary from 3-cone? Does it measure a different aspect of agility?

2. How similar did they look in college? Were they used in different roles? It is interesting that they list Rex as more of a FB than a WR. Perhaps he has improved in route running, because it looks pretty good for us.

3. I claimed that Rex could block, but I realized I can't remember any particular plays where he was pass blocking. Can anyone else comment on his blocking skill? CM had a pretty nice block on a QB draw in this MNF game, but I have seen him underperform as a pass-blocker.

4. Rex is listed as having more bench reps. Is this reflected in his game?

Last edited:
Sorry, didn't finish the post, now edited: he did this every time he got the chance. It's not his fault CIN went with more traditional RBs. Maybe they were scared of his style. When they finally played him he unleashed the wiggler. It was too late for them - he wanted out. He is obviously very smart and self-confident: not a small matter to sign a rich 1y deal w BB (esp. for NE RB by committee). And lets not forget @NO; also the fact that he continued to play through rib injury on ST!

Just hope his share of injuries for this season is behind him. His all-round threat is a game changer, not unlike Gronk..

BTW - Can't remember him losing a yd yet (unlike D-Lew;))

ps
If he does this for another 6 weeks he might price himself out of here..;)

Fair question LongD, when does Burk's price go up? IMHO, if he stays healthy and the last couple of games will be his 2017 norm, length, guaranteed and probably a bit per year average bump. He's making (???) somewhere in the ballpark of 3.5 million this year with the Patriots on a one year deal. So unless he is a feature back, 3.5 avg isn't far off from what I'd expect the per year average offers to be.
Rex is in the driver seat if he keeps playing like this. He either says "I like it here" and he negotiates an extension/signs when possible, gets the 6(?) million signing bonus and becomes a longer term Patriot. Or he says "I want to make as much money in 2018 as possible" and hits FA to maximize offers. He is likely to get a better offer than the Patriots and maybe that's what he wants. He did sign that 1 year deal which suggests that was his plan all along.

Again if the last 2 games is the Rex for rest of 2017 then he's got good choices coming up. I just am dubious when it's only a couple games sample especially when one game is against a Denver team that appears to have the inability to play pass D against non WRs. But then again I am eternally skeptical of everything :)

His value is as a Swiss Army knife of a player (as discussed earlier this season), at decent cost. He's probably going to price himself out of New England, as well as wanting a bigger role as a more traditional running back.

If, however, he's relatively content with things as is, and just wants a reasonable pay increase, they absolutely should keep him in town, and I've little doubt that they'll discuss this with him, if they haven't already been doing just that.

How high do you go for him? 5M?

Fair question LongD, when does Burk's price go up? IMHO, if he stays healthy and the last couple of games will be his 2017 norm, length, guaranteed and probably a bit per year average bump. He's making (???) somewhere in the ballpark of 3.5 million this year with the Patriots on a one year deal. So unless he is a feature back, 3.5 avg isn't far off from what I'd expect the per year average offers to be.
Rex is in the driver seat if he keeps playing like this. He either says "I like it here" and he negotiates an extension/signs when possible, gets the 6(?) million signing bonus and becomes a longer term Patriot. Or he says "I want to make as much money in 2018 as possible" and hits FA to maximize offers. He is likely to get a better offer than the Patriots and maybe that's what he wants. He did sign that 1 year deal which suggests that was his plan all along.

Again if the last 2 games is the Rex for rest of 2017 then he's got good choices coming up. I just am dubious when it's only a couple games sample especially when one game is against a Denver team that appears to have the inability to play pass D against non WRs. But then again I am eternally skeptical of everything :)

His value is as a Swiss Army knife of a player (as discussed earlier this season), at decent cost. He's probably going to price himself out of New England, as well as wanting a bigger role as a more traditional running back.

If, however, he's relatively content with things as is, and just wants a reasonable pay increase, they absolutely should keep him in town, and I've little doubt that they'll discuss this with him, if they haven't already been doing just that.

agreed.

it will be very interesting situation. id say Pats really like him (judging by how they played him immediately after inj.) and he likes it as well probably feeling this might be his best fit in the league. probably knew that before and chose Pats for his showcase season.

he'll be 28 next season which means this might be his only big contract he will ever sign. that could suggest Pats would have to compete and they rarely do. he's a perfect Pat player but they already have White on extension and while Rex offers more versatility and certainly much more legitimate “dual threat“ (not to mention ST including possible returning job) could be hard to keep two relatively similar players on two relatively high contracts (White 3y/12-15M; Rex probably higher) esp. for the position within Pats structure. Another wrinkle to this situation is Lewis, also a FA. And they will still need another power back (Gillislee on 2.4M or somebody else)

Bell reportedly declined 12M APY contract claiming that he is not only top RB but among top WRs as well so he deserves top WR money. While Burkhead is not top RB this line of thinking (getting paid for legitimate RB + legitimate WR) could translate in his market value and negotiations as well.

id guess they might offer around market value at the time like they usually do (so better sooner than later). even if assessing his market value can be tricky at the moment considering complex circumstances they are usually pretty good at that. betting on himself before the season could suggest he would pass and go on the market.

this could be a case where both like what they have but market and cap dictate different. Hicks was a painful loss and this one unfortunately might go similar way (although w Hicks there were reportedly also some playing time/usage issues).

all i know is i like the hell out of him..

Last edited:
At this point, I'd be all for extending both Burkhead and Lewis (and I was a Lewis doubter at the start of the season). However,the reality is that the Pats have less than $3.6m in cap space left. It might be difficult to provide either with a meaningful extension, even at RB salary levels.

This is the kind of deal they almost always get done. They should be able to get 3/12/ 6 up front done with him.

This is the kind of deal they almost always get done. They should be able to get 3/12/ 6 up front done with him.

If the Rex of the last 2 games is the Rex we'll see for 3 years, I think 3/12/6 is bueno (6 as an upfront SB may be a bit high). But I think the follow up question is (for discussion let's say Rex signs this deal next week), what's the acceptable overall expenditures for the RB position over those 3 years?

Rex at 4 mil a year. I believe White just got a similar 3 year deal (and we need to keep White). I also hope we extend Lewis and for discussion let's say he'll cost similar money. That's 3 RBs X 4 million per year. Yet that leaves us without a power runner except Gill. I think Gill is also making 4 million average but his deal makes him an easy cut at the end of this season (I assume he makes 4 million next year too if he stays).

So actual cap hit calculations aside (which may make keeping all 4 for a year or two more palatable), is 4 RBs x approx 4 million per year for 3 years acceptable for the BB cap expenditure portioning by position?
If that is too much then Burk's signing means either Lewis isn't resigned or we cut Gill and maybe draft a power back (someone who will be half the cost of Gill's 4 million per year).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes