PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Erik Frenz: Patriots sign Olympic track star & Florida UDFA RB/WR/KR Jeff Demps

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Erik Frenz: Patriots sign Olympic track star & Florida UDFA RB/WR/KR Jeff Demps

Yeesh this board... Do we need to wait the mandatory 5 years post career to induct him into Canton, or can we do it now?

He's got great straight line speed, but right now he's probably too light to play in the NFL on a consistent basis. He's in phenomenal physical shape, of course, but not really football shape (needs to bulk up a bit, I'm sure, those Olympic sprinters are streamlined for straight line speed, and nothing else). At best he gets eased into the kick return role. He's missed all of OTAs/minicamp and now most of training camp. The Patriots have installed nearly all of their offense, and are now heading into the 3 games in 10 days part of their preseason, in which BB himself has said it's very hard to install anything new or, I imagine, go back to square one to help Demps get up to speed (no pun intended).

I'm excited to see him too, as our kick return game sucked, and he should be able to help us out there pretty soon. As for helping on offense, I'd be pretty surprised if he took many snaps away from anyone for quite a while.

I'll hope for the best, but let's lower our expectations a bit so the guy doesn't disappoint if he doesn't come out of the gates setting the world on fire.

If he can get up to speed, he fixes a weakness (return game) and offers potential help in both the running and passing game. Why on Earth would people not be happy to get him?

re: Erik Frenz: Patriots sign Olympic track star & Florida UDFA RB/WR/KR Jeff Demps

That's fair - he might not be active; but it seems like he's done what he can do earn himself a roster spot this camp.

I think Bolden makes it, at the very least as a gameday inactive who can be activated if Ridley gets hurt. The alternative is that Vereen takes over, because Woodhead certainly can't, and I'd have to think that it would be preferable to have a different option that would allow Vereen to keep whatever separate role he carves out for himself rather than becoming a workhorse until Ridley recovers.

To me, Woodhead is sort of like Faulk was, in that he exists in his own, limited role outside of the standard running back committee. That may also be partially true for Vereen, although that remains to be seen, and I'd be a lot more comfortable with him running between the tackles on first/second down than I would be with Woodhead or Demps. I don't see Demps affecting Ridley/Vereen/Bolden at all - Woodhead is the only one who should be worried about losing touches to him, IMO.

Last edited:

"Its popular to hate on the Jets. We're like Canadians, and the Patriots are true Americans."

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

By far the best. It really did make the true lol list.

Am I in the twilight zone? These Woodhead comments :bricks:

I brought up Woodhead because he has value and may become redundant if Vereen is going to get many of his 3rd down touches and Demps is the return man. I like Woodhead and I'm more than him sticking around but he is a player with trade value and they may well have his roles covered, so raising the question seems obvious to me.

If he can get up to speed, he fixes a weakness (return game) and offers potential help in both the running and passing game. Why on Earth would people not be happy to get him?

Be happy, but temper expectations is all I'm saying.

I kind of doubt we'll see him much, if at all, in the running game this year. Between the need to understand the plays and block, I find it hard to believe they will feel confident in him doing that this year.

We have 3 primary running backs. Two are youngsters still in learning mode. BTW, I am absolutely fine with these three (Ridley, Vereen and Woodhead).

We need to choose how to use ONE or TWO additional roster spots. My suggestion is that we are unlikely to use the spots for two rookies. I would also note that 5 RB's requires an adjustment for most of our rosters.

We may very well keep Bolden. As folks will surely point out, this strategy worked out very well with Green-Ellis. But I don't think it is realistic to see him active in 2012 unless there is an injury or two.

We need a BOTTOM LINE in here, mg. :cool:

Even if he never touches the ball on offense, he could still be a major asset to this team strictly on special teams and because just putting him on the field forces teams to respect his speed and the potential for misdirection plays. If he's getting under 10 touches per game (most/all on ST), then I don't hate his chances to survive an NFL season anyway.

Last edited:

I don't see Demps affecting Ridley/Vereen/Bolden at all - Woodhead is the only one who should be worried about losing touches to him, IMO.

Yeah I'd agree with that - but again I think there's room for both and Woodhead brings something to the table. He was so good in 2010. Demps may leapfrog him as a KR quickly, but he has a lot of work to do to jump him as 3rd down back.

Either way, I think we can justify space for all of them if we can get ST contributions out of at least a couple of them, with Demps being one.

I'll just leave this here:

Run, Jeff. RUN!

Even if he never touches the ball on offense, he could still be a major asset to this team strictly on special teams and because just putting him on the field forces teams to respect his speed and the potential for misdirection plays. If he's getting under 10 touches per game (most/all on ST), then I don't hate his chances to survive an NFL season anyway.

All he needs is a ray of light on misdirection plays. One ray of light and in a split second he's 30 yards ahead of you and riding out into the end zone.

IMO, Bolden doesn't make this team but is a lock for P.S., and likely one of those "pay him a lot so he chooses to stay on our P.S., as opposed to going somewhere else." I don't know if it'd be wise of him to do so, give the relative youth we have at the RB spot, but that's my expectation come cut-down time.

5'7 175, not bad since he had to be a twig for the Olympics. He'll probably weigh 185 by next week after eating :D

I'd assign vet Wilfork as his eating mentor

IMO, Bolden doesn't make this team but is a lock for P.S., and likely one of those "pay him a lot so he chooses to stay on our P.S., as opposed to going somewhere else." I don't know if it'd be wise of him to do so, give the relative youth we have at the RB spot, but that's my expectation come cut-down time.

I think Bolden's done enough that he won't get onto the practice squad at all. Teams knew he could play, they were just worried about all the other stuff, and none of that has affected him at all that we've heard of.

I'm speechless at how good this team's Front office is........The Jesters boards are in meltdown:)

Love it!

Couple of good blocks on a screen and he's away, a little crease in the return game and he's away.

This team is dangerous on offense and now special teams, you have to respect the kids speed...not to mention the reports on the defense....I'm excited :D

I feel like this depends in part on how they see Vereen. Ridley is capable of taking the load if need be. But do we have anyone else that can? If Ridley gets hurt, how comfortable are we with the other guys on the roster? Do we have a "between-the-tackles" type of RB? I feel like Bolden could be servicable in that role. He's got Ridley's weight. I was hoping that Addai might provide a level of stability to the backfield (or some other 2nd tier RB), but at least Bolden has surpassed expectations.

It's a tough call.

I'm speechless at how good this team's Front office is........
It's good to hear this acknowledgement because it has been a banner year. I think that the overall optimism of this camp started months ago and is reality based (not reality show based.) I have to wonder if Caserio is not a lock for Exec of the Year. Pioli bueno; Caserio mucho bueno.

Love it!

Couple of good blocks on a screen and he's away, a little crease in the return game and he's away.

This team is dangerous on offense and now special teams, you have to respect the kids speed...not to mention the reports on the defense....I'm excited :D

We have a lot of weapons, but we'll go as far as the health of the O-Line takes us.

Yeah I'd agree with that - but again I think there's room for both and Woodhead brings something to the table. He was so good in 2010. Demps may leapfrog him as a KR quickly, but he has a lot of work to do to jump him as 3rd down back.

Either way, I think we can justify space for all of them if we can get ST contributions out of at least a couple of them, with Demps being one.

Agreed- the only issue is, if Demps is handling return duties, where does Woodhead contribute on special teams? I suppose he could be a gunner, maybe? Isn't that the role he was playing when he got knocked unconscious last preseason? Assuming that Vereen and Ridley aren't contributing on ST, and Bolden is a gameday inactive.

Danny woodhead gets rocked - YouTube

Side note: if a hit like that didn't get flagged during this preseason, everyone would be calling for the replacement refs' heads.

Last edited:

Agreed- the only issue is, if Demps is handling return duties, where does Woodhead contribute on special teams? I suppose he could be a gunner, maybe? Isn't that the role he was playing when he got knocked unconscious last preseason? Assuming that Vereen and Ridley aren't contributing on ST, and Bolden is a gameday inactive.

Danny woodhead gets rocked - YouTube

Side note: if a hit like that didn't get flagged during this preseason, everyone would be calling for the replacement refs' heads.

I had forgotten all about that. What a filthy hit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back