PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

End Result of Randy Moss trade is acquisition of Ryan Mallett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's clarify something. No one has ever questioned Mallett's work ethic or football IQ.

Yea, much better to have a punk than a dummie.

BB sent a message to the young QB with that specific pick. Note that he used the 2nd 3rd round pick to draft Ryan. More importantly, he used THE pick that was a result of shipping a guy out of town that had 'issues' getting with the Patriots way and program. I just hope his Wonderlick score is high enough that Mallett realizes what happened to the big name guy whose pick was used to give him a chance to get with the Patriots' program. There's a major clue here.

For Vikings fans. I was looking forward to sending him some more crap for draft picks in the future :mad:

Don't worry, nothing has changed. They drafted Ponder. I rest my case.

Don't worry, nothing has changed. They drafted Ponder. I rest my case.

Good call.

I'm still in shock about the Jake Locker pick that I haven't moved on to being shocked by the Ponder pick.

Good call.

I'm still in shock about the Jake Locker pick that I haven't moved on to being shocked by the Ponder pick.

And they expect him to start next year? Brett Favre must be laughing right now, expecting a phone call and a 15m salary. Can we trade another player for the 1st overall pick in the 3rd round next year please?

Mallett was maybe the only draft pick that I really didn't question. I'm sure on BB's draft board Mallett had a first round (second at the least) grade. After making four picks and trading two others, he had all the players that he wanted in this draft, and the pats came up again, and Mallett was clearly the highest rated player on the draft board at the time of the pick. PLUS you keep him away from Miami and Buffalo, it is a win-win. At the very least you blew the 74th pick in the draft, at best you have your heir apparent to TFB, or someplace in the middle, they get an excellent back-up QB and/or trade bait.

Now IF the NFL goes to an 18 game schedule, than Mallett is not going anywhere. This pick made the most sense out of all of them, nobody has every questioned Mallet's talent, and football IQ, nor his work ethic. He kinda got screwed with the coaching change at Michigan, and then had to transfer and find a home with another coaching change at Arkansas. He has all the tools to be a great NFL QB, and now he comes into the perfect situation to learn how to be one, Plus, he has the added TFB bonus of that little chip on his shoulder, of getting passed over in the draft. Could you imagine the ESPN E-60 show 15 years from now titled the Mallett-6 with Peter King saying, how does San Fran take Colin Kapernick, over mallett.

Mallett chose Michigan first because it presented the path of least resistance to an NFL career. The opposite reason to Brady making that choice, a shot to compete against and prove he could hang with the best. Tom fought through resistance and adversity at every level and emerged as a HOF NFL QB as a result. At the first sign of adversity in Michigan, Mallett bailed to another path of least resistance. But just for good measure he managed to screw up on arrival at both locations. His rocket arm and competitive coaching being what it is in the NCAA, he lived to play another day. He won't get anywhere near that kind of leeway here. He will be pushed and prodded and berated for his myriad shortcomings mercilessly and unless he's suddenly done a 180 character wise it won't end any differently here. He'll do what to him comes naturally and it won't be enough to make it to the next level. Players who succeed irrespective of talent are the ones who embrace a challenge. I don't see any evidence of Mallett succeeding to date because he improved his game or skillset. So far all I see is a guy who keeps getting chances to perceived to be by virtue of improving his odds...

22 year old QB with upside at CONTROLLED salary for the next 4 years for 34 year old WR who is declining and wanted a fat NEW contract who is about to enter free agency. Character concerns with both. I'd say that's a GOOD trade... for the Pats! ^_^ Vikings would probably want a do over.

Last edited:
Mallett chose Michigan first because it presented the path of least resistance to an NFL career. The opposite reason to Brady making that choice, a shot to compete against and prove he could hang with the best. Tom fought through resistance and adversity at every level and emerged as a HOF NFL QB as a result. At the first sign of adversity in Michigan, Mallett bailed to another path of least resistance. But just for good measure he managed to screw up on arrival at both locations. His rocket arm and competitive coaching being what it is in the NCAA, he lived to play another day. He won't get anywhere near that kind of leeway here. He will be pushed and prodded and berated for his myriad shortcomings mercilessly and unless he's suddenly done a 180 character wise it won't end any differently here. He'll do what to him comes naturally and it won't be enough to make it to the next level. Players who succeed irrespective of talent are the ones who embrace a challenge. I don't see any evidence of Mallett succeeding to date because he improved his game or skillset. So far all I see is a guy who keeps getting chances to perceived to be by virtue of improving his odds...

There are plenty of character questions, and I don't disagree with a lot of what you've written here. In many ways, he's gone the exact opposite path of Tom Brady.

But I don't hold the transfer out of Michigan against him. In all fairness, there's no way a slow pocket passer would have any hope in Rich Rodriguez's offense. He'd have a better chance playing DL as he would QB in that system.

Well, technically not the end result because the Vikings also got a 2012 7th round pick in that trade.

But for all intents and purposes the Pats traded Randy Moss for Ryan Mallett.

Good, bad or meh?

Are you kidding? I would have traded Moss for a lump of coal.

Let me get this right just so I can take in the general feeling. If someone goes to a big school with NFL calibre potential, does that mean they've taken the path of least resistance because there's more chance of having success and reaching your goal than at a smaller institution?

Color me dumb but that sounds rather smart to me.

Last edited:
22 year old QB with upside at CONTROLLED salary for the next 4 years for 34 year old WR who is declining and wanted a fat NEW contract who is about to enter free agency. Character concerns with both. I'd say that's a GOOD trade... for the Pats! ^_^ Vikings would probably want a do over.

So would Brad Childress. . . . :singing:

Yea, a kid from Texas with legendary status as a QB would goto Michigan over A&M, Texas, TT, TCU, Baylor, UH and other Texas football programs as a path to least resistance to reach NFL. Furthermore, after being forced to transfer out under new regime of Rich Rod would select SEC powerhouse(cough !) Arkansas to showcase his talents.

If you want to talk about a guy who used a universities, openly has a corrupt father, for path of least resistance to NFL, then look no farther than Cam Newton. Your JuCo transfer with all of 25 passes from pocket in 1 yr at Auburn, and then this is your #1 pick in NFL to become the pocket passer ? He'll be croaked in NFC South playing against Saints, Falcons, Tampa - 6x a year.

and yes, as full disclosure I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan and follow Michigan football. Mallett stories are so overblown is not even funny. The fact BB and Cesario, and Floyd Reese put their faith in this kid further validates that Pats FO is lighyears ahead of others, and lightyears removed from lunacy of Pat Sullivan and Sam Jankovic era's

At the first sign of adversity in Michigan, Mallett bailed to another path of least resistance.

That was quite the first sign of adversity, though, when the head coach, the offensive coordinator, and the QB coach you came to play for are all FIRED and the new guys tell you that they want you to leave because they want smurfy QBs like Pat White to run an option attack.

And how is going to a middle-of-the-pack school in the best conference in the country and having to sit out a whole year an easy path?

unless he's suddenly done a 180 character wise it won't end any differently here.

His coaches and ex-teammates, even those from Michigan, seem to disagree that he needs a 180 change. They elected him a team captain twice at Arkansas for a reason.

You need to read that lengthy report by the Florida writer written a month ago basically begging the Dolphins to draft Mallett at pick #15 because the reporter's extensive investigation found nothing to warrant the harsh criticism. It's linked in the "Help me to understand the Mallett pick" thread.

Last edited:
We are doing something the other teams can't, that is trying to turn a J. Russell into a real QB

I dont see the comparison at all.. Even if this were true the comparison would be moot based upon where they were drafted..

If A 3rd round draft pick with a ton of upside potential doesnt work out... so beit..

There are plenty of character questions, and I don't disagree with a lot of what you've written here. In many ways, he's gone the exact opposite path of Tom Brady.

But I don't hold the transfer out of Michigan against him. In all fairness, there's no way a slow pocket passer would have any hope in Rich Rodriguez's offense. He'd have a better chance playing DL as he would QB in that system.

Folks- Not everyone is Tom Brady. TB is one of the most determined and driven professional athletes of our generation.

Big deal if Mallett transferred. Does that make him a quitter? No. Troy Aikman transferred from OU to UCLA. He turned out ok.

Several magazine reports state that as a sophomore Tom Brady went to Lloyd Carr's office to discuss his future, with a transfer to Cal being a real possibility.

Carr responded: "Go out there and do everything you can to control what you can control and quit worrying about how many reps you get or the other quarterbacks, the skills they have and you don't. Worry about things that you do well."

Decorated Patriots QB feels he still has something to prove - USATODAY.com

If Carr had instead said "Son, if you think that you might want out then get the H3LL out!" then maybe he would have transferred.

Rich Rod told Mallett to get out because he wanted a QB to run the football ala Pat White.

Transferring or not transferring is not a black mark on anybody, without knowing the situation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes