PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

End of a Great Rivalry

Status
Not open for further replies.

homergreg

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I just wanted to post this as a thank you to the Patriots nation for their part in making being a Colts fan so much fun for so long.

See, up to this week, I thought there was a tiny chance that there would be some kind of a rekindling of the Pats-Colts rivalry in the future. I knew it wasn't much of a chance, and now that the owner tossing many more Colts after letting Manning go, there's nothing to rival about. Who knows how far the fire sale will go.

I haven't posted here in years, I would just read and enjoy our team getting under your skin every once in a while. I would follow what you all have to say about your team too. I've always respected your team and how they built up from the AFC East cellar, as did the Colts.

See I always saw the Colts and Patriots as 2 teams that after years of being down, figured out how to build teams their own way, while so many other teams were chasing what other teams were trying to do. Yes, the teams were so different, but it worked for both for a really long time, each in their own way.

It was a fun over decade long ride with the that version of the Colts, and for most of it, the Patriots rivalry was one of the most enjoyable parts. I hope the Patriots organization keeps on doing what it's been doing for as long as it can. Cause it really sucks when the ride ends. I guess our owner and new GM have decided to stop doing what the Colts have done and move in a new direction, I just fear the new direction is to follow what everyone else is doing to succeed. And when your team does that, your team is just like everyone else.

I was thinking about this too, and it's great that the Patriots/Brady vs. Colts/Manning rivalry ended not only with a Patriots win, but Manning last pass was a game ending INT.

We can rekindle that rivalry, if whatever QB replaces Brady works out for NE. Rivalries this heated rarely just die.

It seems that there was never a Colts/Pats rivalry but a Brady/Manning rivalry, which is still alive and hopefully they will match up next season wherever Manning goes.

I just wanted to post this as a thank you to the Patriots nation for their part in making being a Colts fan so much fun for so long.

See, up to this week, I thought there was a tiny chance that there would be some kind of a rekindling of the Pats-Colts rivalry in the future. I knew it wasn't much of a chance, and now that the owner tossing many more Colts after letting Manning go, there's nothing to rival about. Who knows how far the fire sale will go.

I haven't posted here in years, I would just read and enjoy our team getting under your skin every once in a while. I would follow what you all have to say about your team too. I've always respected your team and how they built up from the AFC East cellar, as did the Colts.

See I always saw the Colts and Patriots as 2 teams that after years of being down, figured out how to build teams their own way, while so many other teams were chasing what other teams were trying to do. Yes, the teams were so different, but it worked for both for a really long time, each in their own way.

It was a fun over decade long ride with the that version of the Colts, and for most of it, the Patriots rivalry was one of the most enjoyable parts. I hope the Patriots organization keeps on doing what it's been doing for as long as it can. Cause it really sucks when the ride ends. I guess our owner and new GM have decided to stop doing what the Colts have done and move in a new direction, I just fear the new direction is to follow what everyone else is doing to succeed. And when your team does that, your team is just like everyone else.

I always viewed Manning himself, and the IND Colts in general as a very classy kind of team.

That aspect alone made it a bit harder for me to view them as 'hated' as much as the Steelers and Jets.

Good luck w/ the rebuilding process, and nice post altogether. I am sure that your team will be back in the hunt before too long, and hopefully Luck works out for you.

I always viewed Manning himself, and the IND Colts in general as a very classy kind of team.

That aspect alone made it a bit harder for me to view them as 'hated' as much as the Steelers and Jets.

Good luck w/ the rebuilding process, and nice post altogether. I am sure that your team will be back in the hunt before too long, and hopefully Luck works out for you.

The players were cool.

That owner is a child, though. THAT is not a good omen for the future of the franchise.

I never really hated the Colts because, as much as I disliked Polian and Dungy, Peyton and Saturday are by all accounts really good guys. Anyhow, for the Indy fanbase's sake, I hope that Luck is the real deal, and that you guys will be back in contention sooner rather than later. Him not panning out after all of this would be a gut punch that nobody deserves.

The players were cool.

That owner is a child, though. THAT is not a good omen for the future of the franchise.

Yeah, no doubt about that.

Irsay is a complete nutcase. He may very well harbor some type of mental illness.

As others have noted, generally speaking I haven't had an issue with the Colts players; I'm far more hesitant to say the same about certain other AFC teams which shall remain unnamed.

Yeah, there were a lot of things I didn't like about Polian, which again I'm not going to list here. I begrudgingly admit he built a good team - until apparently he let nepotism trump quality football minds, or so it seems.

Anyways, I'll leave you with these thoughts to consider. Fifteen months ago several Packer fans visited this forum, and after the Pats had defeated them they were despondent because collectively they felt their season was over; there was no way the Pack could make the playoffs after the Patriots beat Green Bay that week. Two months later they were Super Bowl champions. The future may understandably look extremely dark right now, but in the NFL things can turn around extremely quickly. Remember **** Vermeil's tears when Trent Green was lost just before the start of the 1999 season?

Assume the worst and hope for the best.

Thanks much for stopping by with your comment.

Good luck to you and your team, and remember that we can all take comfort in knowing the Jets suck.

Games against Manning were always different than the others because it was never a win until the clock completely ran out. This was one guy that could come back from behind, anytime and anywhere. Scary sometimes, but made for great suspense, and of course, great games!

Some of the greatest games of the decade, both through the good and the ugly.

The goal line stand in '03
The 4 INTs in the playoffs
Pats blowing the 21-3 halftime lead in '06
The back and forth game in '07 the Pats pulled out
The 4th and 2 play
James Sanders INT

Thus ends the current rivalry, the Brady-Manning rivalry.

The rivalry with the colts goes back to when we were competing for the 1st pick in the draft.

It does feel like a chapter in NFL history is closing, doesn't it.

My best of luck to you as fan (no pun intended). Brady says he wants to play until 40. I hope so, but at this point even 4 more years will fly by very quickly.

Thank you for posting, OP, and you're right- the rivalry did make things very fun for the decade!

Sic Transit Gloria Equus et Manning

Enjoyed the rivalry every year. Respect for Manning grew.

FWIW, not much, but I think the Colts are right to jettison their older players who won't be around once the rebuilding produces results in say 3 seasons. Use the cap $ to sign younger FAs, draft well and who knows? Just be sure to sign good OL FAs to protect the kid.

You guys will be rebuilding for a little bit, but not much longer than you have to if the fire sale keeps going and the Colts keep acquiring draft picks. Hell, you have the best quarterback prospect since, well, Manning sitting in your lap. You have a defensive minded head coach that wants to build the Colts into an aggressive 3-4 (ala the Ravens and 49ers) and you also got rid of Polian, whose mediocre to bad drafts weren't helping you.

As for us, hopefully Mallet works out when he steps in. I really liked what I saw of his command of the offense at Arkansas and in the pre-season with us. He'll sit behind the greatest in the game a little bit more and soak up some knowledge, then will hopefully have the impact of an Aaron Rodgers type. He also has a cannon for an arm.

In short, I can see this rivalry heating up again a few years from now.

From '03-'07 it was about as good as it gets in the NFL rivalry-wise, and it was between two teams who weren't even in the same division. Even now, no one in the media circles a "Game of the Year" as they did during that period.

We can rekindle that rivalry, if whatever QB replaces Brady works out for NE. Rivalries this heated rarely just die.

Going 2-14 and losing all of your Pro Bowlers along with the face of your franchise can be like a cold shower.

Having said that, if Luck emerges as top level QB and Brady's replacement is an above average QB, then this may rekindle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back