PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eliminating the kickoff - NFL can't be serious can they?

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Link Focus on making the punt safer could be a precursor to a bigger change

Does he mean that instead of kicking off you could choose to retain possession by a "4th down" play where you must gain 15 yards?

Why on earth would you not go for that option every time? Especially if you have a Jump Ball Joe kind of QB that can draw a flag easily.

Yeah - that won't work. Not to mention that the surprise onside kick is WAY more entertaining....

Kind of surprised a generally reasonable poster like you is so caught up in this hysteria. This would be much better than the half assed set of kickoff rules we have now that effectively eliminate onside kicks anyway (even though one got made on Sunday).

This isn't 2012, it's not an automatic PI every time you go deep. The 4th and 15 would have the same net result as a kickoff regardless of how upset the idea makes you. Teams would absolutely not go for it every time just like they don't go deep every play on offense under the current set of rules.

As for the surprise onside kick, which is so rare it's barely worth discussion...fake punt pass/run. Boom

Kick off returns and onside kicks are some of the most exciting parts of the game.

Special teams is a crucial part of the game. Slater has made a career out of it.

How does this work for the team that scores last but still needs 3 to tie. Where does the 4 - 15 start on the field? The 50? Convert and your in FG range. Your own 20? fail to convert and you have just gift wrapped the game for the opponent.

Let them play and let the game play out.

I've always questioned the NFLs claim that more concussions happen on Kick-offs and on Punt Returns than on any other plays in the game. They've never actually provided any hard evidence for the claim and I've not seen any reporter actually question them on this.

How about this.....let’s return every rule back to how the rules were in 1978. Football is DESIGNED to be a violent sport. The men who make the decision to play the game know this.....along with all the inherent risks. It’s entertainment, but what the game has morphed into is NOT entertaining! Treat every player on the field the same....throwing flags because you breath the wrong way on a QB.....would love a fan push to roll back all these ridiculous “safety” rules!!!

The upside of this is that we would no longer need to devote salary cap space to ST'ers.....and have deeper Offensive/Defensive rosters.

But...let Brady & Slater play their careers out first, please. I am pretty much done with being an OBSESSED football fan once Brady rides off into the sunset.....

Kick off returns and onside kicks are some of the most exciting parts of the game.

Special teams is a crucial part of the game. Slater has made a career out of it.

How does this work for the team that scores last but still needs 3 to tie. Where does the 4 - 15 start on the field? The 50? Convert and your in FG range. Your own 20? fail to convert and you have just gift wrapped the game for the opponent.

Let them play and let the game play out.
Probably on the same spot as where the kickoff would have been if you had chosen to kick off. So normally your own 35.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
How about this.....let’s return every rule back to how the rules were in 1978. Football is DESIGNED to be a violent sport. The men who make the decision to play the game know this.....along with all the inherent risks. It’s entertainment, but what the game has morphed into is NOT entertaining! Treat every player on the field the same....throwing flags because you breath the wrong way on a QB.....would love a fan push to roll back all these ridiculous “safety” rules!!!

while you're at it bring back the 1978 dad bod atheletes that ran a 40 yard dash in 7 seconds.

Not that I disagree with your basic premise but the litigious nature of the society we live in makes that an impossibility. As to the rules protecting the QB they are an extension of the salary cap. It's a business decision, as an owner any player you had 12-20% of your cap allotment tied up in you would damn well want as protected as possible, as a league the QB's are the faces of their franchise and impact marketability.

It's only a sport to us, for everyone else involved it is a business

Last edited:
while you're at it bring back the 1978 dad bod atheletes that ran a 40 yard dash in 7 seconds.
I’m sorry, you seemed to have missed the point.....I’ll use smaller words next time. You can’t tell me you are ok with the roughing the passer calls that are made in today’s game!

That take makes way too much sense of the NFL and the fans they lead by the nose to consider it.

Not that I disagree with your basic premise but the litigious nature of the society we live in makes that an impossibility. As to the rules protecting the QB they are an extension of the salary cap. It's a business decision, as an owner any player you had 12-20% of your cap allotment tied up in you would damn well want as protected as possible, as a league the QB's are the faces of their franchise and impact marketability.

It's only a sport to us, for everyone else involves it is a business
I agree....it’s is a business, but all business need “happy satisfied” customers to be successful! The rules water down the game so much. Somthing has to be done. We are just a few years away from the NFFL...National Flag Football league.

I’m sorry, you seemed to have missed the point.....I’ll use smaller words next time. You can’t tell me you are ok with the roughing the passer calls that are made in today’s game!

Players today are bigger, faster, smarter, stronger then players in 1978.

Take the players of today, and put them with the rules of 1978 and players will die on the field.

I know that's a hard concept for you to understand from the rocking chair on your porch, but trust me, after you finish your prune juice and take a nap, you'll forget all about this conversation.

Link Focus on making the punt safer could be a precursor to a bigger change

Does he mean that instead of kicking off you could choose to retain possession by a "4th down" play where you must gain 15 yards?

Why on earth would you not go for that option every time? Especially if you have a Jump Ball Joe kind of QB that can draw a flag easily.
Barring end of game desperation, when was the last time you ever saw a team with 4th and 15 from their own 35 go for it? Maybe you'll see the occasional fake, but this will no way be a situation where everyone is going for it all the time.

I hate this a lot. If they really cared about safety they'd eliminate Thursday games. This is just PR stunt to pretend they care about safety considering the pressure they're under from concussions which is threatening their business model.

Now That's What I Call A False Equivalency

I agree....it’s is a business, but all business need “happy satisfied” customers to be successful! The rules water down the game so much. Somthing has to be done. We are just a few years away from the NFFL...National Flag Football league.
The answer is simple. The fans must unite and then agree to boycott the league for a period of 2 years. The fans have to come to a consensus on demands and do not negotiate or budge.

Of course this will never happen, but this is the only solution. Currently fans are acting like heroin addicts and the league is their heroine. It may not be as good as before but they still need that high so they'll keep taking it. The 32 drug cartels know this, as does their drug dealers(NYJFL*).

The answer is simple. The fans must unite and then agree to boycott the league for a period of 2 years. The fans have to come to a consensus on demands and do not negotiate or budge.

Of course this will never happen, but this is the only solution. Currently fans are acting like heroin addicts and the league is their heroine. It may not be as good as before but they still need that high so they'll keep taking it. The 32 drug cartels know this, as does their drug dealers(NYJFL*).
People won't boycott. Plain and simple. They want the distraction. Been that way since the Romans built the Colosseum for the Christians vs Lions. Keep the masses entertained.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back