PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Onside Kicks

A safety allows for that.
When a team is down by 10 and driving with 2:00 to go, I’m not sure it’s a good strategy to hope to score a safety.

I'm not sure if the league has ever actually said they like that 4th down idea, I think it's just something that has caught on with certain sects of football nerds online.
It caught on because it is a good idea.

I don’t think the league has said anything at all on the matter of a replacement for kickoffs but, while my preference is to leave the kickoff intact, I think this would be a good substitute. I am always willing to listen to other ideas but I haven’t heard any that make sense like this.

It caught on because it is a good idea.

I don’t think the league has said anything at all on the matter of a replacement for kickoffs but, while my preference is to leave the kickoff intact, I think this would be a good substitute. I am always willing to listen to other ideas but I haven’t heard any that make sense like this.

I like the idea a lot, you misunderstood me.

Now that the kicking team can't get a running start the onside kick has disappeared. ......What exactly did the NYFL hope to accomplish with this move?

they want to reduce the amount of concussions and injuries that occur on kickoffs. this was just one of a few changes to kickoffs in an effort to reduce injuries.

When a team is down by 10 and driving with 2:00 to go, I’m not sure it’s a good strategy to hope to score a safety.
Not what I was referring to, only pointing out that a safety allowed a team to score and get the ball back, as was mentioned.

Not intending to get into a keyboard argument. There's plenty of it already.

Not what I was referring to, only pointing out that a safety allowed a team to score and get the ball back, as was mentioned.

It was ridiculously clear from the context of my post that I was referring to late game situations where a team is trailing by more than 8 points where they are desperately trying to score and get the ball back right away. Your "got'cha" comment about safeties being an example of scoring and getting the ball back had nothing to do with the subject at hand, so it was a very curious thing to post for someone who claims not to want to get into keyboard arguments.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think a 9% success rate is a good rate to be at. It's a desperation play that should give the team 'a chance' but not a good one. I think it's serving its purpose.

I'm sure there are plenty that disagree with my statement, but I see the onside kick as synonymous with the Hail Mary play. The Hail Mary is a low percentage, desperation play that in my opinion should remain a low percentage play.

I know it's fun for fans to see Hail Mary's and onside kicks work, but overall I think a better success rate on each would actually be bad for the game.

Not sure what you expected the responses to be when you made an intentionally pedantic comment that didn't even make sense in context.

I wonder if there has been a real, objective analysis done. Say a chart, by year, showing # of kickoffs, # of injuries (total), # of injuries (non-contact), # injuries (hit already against the rules), # injuries (cheap shot / away from the play). Take the total, subtract the rest, and you have the actual number of injuries that need to be addressed.

they want to reduce the amount of concussions and injuries that occur on kickoffs. this was just one of a few changes to kickoffs in an effort to reduce injuries.

I don't think starting from a standstill slows the players down enough. By the time the players reach each other they're at top speed anyway.

Can they run in motion?

Now that the kicking team can't get a running start the onside kick has disappeared. Too bad. It used to be an exciting part of the end of games.

What exactly did the NYFL hope to accomplish with this move? It doesn't look like it added anything to the kickoffs. This seems like another case where the tinkering with rules hasn't worked and may have backfired.
The league office reasoned that the Jete won't be in any games close enough at the end for it to be of use, so they did away with it.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back