PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eli over Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at the last two postseasons where both teams advanced to the SB, it's hard to argue that Eli wasn't more clutch than Tom. Especially this past postseason, no one in their right mind can pick Tom's performance over Eli's. Tom's critical mistakes almost led the team to a loss against the Ravens and against the Giants was a big part in our loss that's even more magnified in the fact that Eli did not make any critical errors himself.

Tom is still a great QB, but Eli has played better in the postseason the past 5 years. You can even say that the past 5 years, Eli has been the best postseason QB in the NFL.

Eli is not a HOF quarterback at this point and TC is not a HOF coach at this point either. As much as I am willing to concede to Eli skills that seem tailor made for the NFL we have now he has not done enough to get in and neither has his coach.

Look at how difficult it has become for some really great players to get into the Hall. Eli is far from being a shoe in yet.

Tom is still a great QB, but Eli has played better in the postseason the past 5 years. You can even say that the past 5 years, Eli has been the best postseason QB in the NFL.

Didn't the Giants miss the playoff once during that time and didn't they lose in the early rounds the other 2 times?

I was speaking metaphorically, gravedigger (Hamlet).

eli over brady NOW, yes. Brady has not been a great playoff quarterback since 2004.

I don't think so. Manning is playing with more talent around him. I mean, some key Giants players get hurt mid season and they lose 5 of 6 games. Then they get healthy again and they roll. Brandon Jacobs is better than Lawfirm; Manningham, Cruz, and Knicks are better than Welker, Branch, and an injured Gronk (IMO). And then on top of that, Manning is going up against the Patriots defense and Brady is going against the better Giants defense. Patriots defense played beyond expectations, no doubt, but they let the Giants possess the ball for 37 minutes to the Patriots 23.

It's not like Brady wasn't moving the ball on that final drive, despite some crucial drops. I know it's prevent D, but Brady has always delivered when in Manning's situation. I wonder if Manning's fabled 4th quarter comebacks happen if his defense gets him the ball with under a minute left.

Last edited:
Didn't the Giants miss the playoff once during that time and didn't they lose in the early rounds the other 2 times?
Exactly what i have been trying to say, I agree Eli Manning is a gr8 QB but definitely not in the league of Brady,Peyton and Brees.
To be an Elite QB you need to be consistent throughout, One season Eli wins the SB the next he misses the playoffs,
Mind you the same people who are calling him Elite will doubt him when they dont advance in the playoffs(or even miss it ).....He is just not consistent, His WRs are excellent,I would say second only to Saints and his Defense does an excellent job.

eli over brady NOW, yes. Brady has not been a great playoff quarterback since 2004.
Please change your handle to EliManning10.
I guess your TV showed ELI marching the giants down the field in the last minute win or SF in the NFC championship game , while our Tvs had a completely different game .

No one else in the NFL has done what Eli has done in the past 5 years. Who else has been better in the postseason the past 5 years? Brees? Rogers? Ben? Brady? Peyton?

No one else in the NFL has done what Eli has done in the past 5 years. Who else has been better in the postseason the past 5 years? Brees? Rogers? Ben? Brady? Peyton?

Define "better"? If you go by postseason stats, it's not Eli and if you grade those on a curve, Eli sinks even lower due to missing the playoffs completely one year.

Define "better"? If you go by postseason stats, it's not Eli and if you grade those on a curve, Eli sinks even lower due to missing the playoffs completely one year.

Define "better"? How about leading his team to two SBs?

This is one of those debates that will rage for a long time. In the end, I personally believe that Brady will have the stats and the Championship Games and the Super Bowl appearances and the League MVP's and the rings over Eli and that that will be recognized by all but haters.

But, that said, I think we Brady backers should all just cool it today.

The current facts on the ground are that Brady and Eli have met in games that counted four times in the last four years. By my count, Eli is up 3--1 in those contests and has won the last three in a row, two of which happened to be, well, um, Super Bowls.

Let's just let the Eli supporters have the stage for a few days and let's be sportsmanlike enough to give him his due. He's gotten the job done and made the plays that had to be made. Hats off to him.

We can debate the other stuff later.

This is one of those debates that will rage for a long time. In the end, I personally believe that Brady will have the stats and the Championship Games and the Super Bowl appearances and the League MVP's and the rings over Eli and that that will be recognized by all but haters.

But, that said, I think we Brady backers should all just cool it today.

The current facts on the ground are that Brady and Eli have met in games that counted four times in the last four years. By my count, Eli is up 3--1 in those contests and has won the last three in a row, two of which happened to be, well, um, Super Bowls.

Let's just let the Eli supporters have the stage for a few days and let's be sportsmanlike enough to give him his due. He's gotten the job done and made the plays that had to be made. Hats off to him.

We can debate the other stuff later.

One thing we will never know is what if Eli had been 4 years younger and drafted in 2000 like Brady.... Who knows what the story would be if each QB was similar age,I do know the Giants were good enough in 2000 to get to the Super Bowl.

One thing we will never know is what if Eli had been 4 years younger and drafted in 2000 like Brady.... Who knows what the story would be if each QB was similar age,I do know the Giants were good enough in 2000 to get to the Super Bowl.

I am not at all sure Eli would have done better than Tom in the league we had at that time. I think that is likely the point. Eli is not the equal of Tom or Payton and will not likely end up their equal in league MVP's and things of that sort.

However Eli is along with his peers the first quarterback's to have come up completely in the rules changed NFL we have today.

We have always said pro football is a big play game. It used to be a league where we expected the QB to be the consummate game manager with for the most part the spectacular plays coming from the receivers, and more often than not from the defenders trying to stop offenses from succeeding. LT was the first defender of that era, the era of the big play defender.

Rules changes have given us the big play quarterback and Eli appears to be the first example of that. These are guys that are not as good at game management as Tom or Payton as examples. They are not as consistent on balance as the Tom's or Payton's. However Eli's big play potential and his innate ability to avoid mistakes in the biggest moments of the biggest games are magnified. His relevant deficiencies in areas of game management, strong points of Payton's game and Tom's game seem to be de-emphasized IN THE BIG GAME.

As I stated earlier, I do wonder if the rules changes will result in more success for the Eli prototypical quarterback in the big game. Smith is more like Eli than like Tom or Payton. Even Rogers is more like Eli than he is like Tom or Payton although Rogers looks to me like the definition of the dividing line. I think Brees sits on the same dividing line as Rogers.

I do not think this was a consequence foreseen by the rules makers but something worth watching for none the less. The kind of quarterback I am talking about definitely has more physical qualities than Tom or Payton has. That pass that Manningham caught at the end of the game is now and has been this year and last the defining quarterback pass play of this era and that is a very physical play. That is putting the ball in a spot 1' square, 40 yards down the field, and along the sideline. If that ball decelerates, it is intercepted at worse and at best is an incomplete. How many great quarterbacks of the past can make that throw? Can Tom make it? Can Payton make it? I know Rogers can cause I have seen him do it and I know Brees can.

Again I do not think this shift away from quarterback game management skills and consistent performance toward this ability to make big physical pass plays and avoid mistakes from the quarterback position was foreseen by the rules makers but I think it is here none the less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back