PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ebner now ahead of T. Wilson on the depth chart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought we were discussing whether picks were booms or busts. From the sounds of it, are we more so discussing whether the pick was a reach or a steal given the point at which they were taken?

If so, I accept your premise on TE's as precedent, although still disagree because of looking at it in a fundamentally different way. To me, I think, if the draft happened again, would he be taken higher or lower than he was initially? As said, I think he would be taken in the early first round, and thus would call him a steal. Your premise seems to preclude recognizing players outperforming their expected draft position. If we're talking strictly about reach picks like TW, obviously I buy into your rationale a whole lot more.

Lol I have to respectfully disagree here as well. I will point out that when I made the comment I was referring to existing records, not records that may or may not be set by another player such as Graham. If we look at the side by side comparison of some key stats, however, we get this:

Player: Gronk Graham
GP 47 56
REC 211 275
TGTS 302 419
YARDS 3006 3494
AVG 14.2 12.7
TD 40 35

As you pointed out, Graham is currently leading on receptions and yards. But he has also played 11 more games. I think it is more useful to look at their averages per game to see what they're on pace for (I will concede this somewhat discredits my statement about Gronk still setting records if injured 30% of the time).

Average yards is already given, with Gronk having a 1.5 yard advantage per reception.

Gronk has a 69.9% complete rate, Graham's is 65.4%.

Gronk averages 64.0 yards per game, Graham 62.4.

Graham averages 4.9 receptions per game, Gronk 4.5.

And of course TD's is in favor of Gronk. So you're right, they're close across all measurables, although if they continued to play at this pace (keep in mind too that Graham is three years older than Gronk), Gronk would eventually pass him on all items except for receptions.
I am not suggesting Graham is a better player than Gronkowski because he is not, but in terms of tight end records other than touchdowns Graham has a better chance of setting them than Gronkowski obviously a large reason is health but it is still the reality.

I guess to me I do not consider Andrew Luck a BOOM pick because it is common to see the top pick become a top tier NFL QB and for this same reason I don’t consider a tight end taken in the second round of the draft to be a BOOM pick if he turns out to be an elite player. If all the best tight ends were generally taken in the first round and Gronkowski was taken in the second round that would be a boom but the reality is players like Graham and Witten were taken a round later than Gronkowski.

Do this enough and it shows on the roster. And not in a good way

These guys weren't glaring reaches. And it is true that value picks sometimes just don't pan out. Still, I wouldn't include guys like Dre Kirkpatrick who have missed more games with injuries than he's played. Anyway, these are all young guys who are basically yet to show what they can do. The same may apply to Wilson. We'll see. At any rate, the fact that some rookies from the same draft class have yet to really shine doesn't make me feel any better about the Wilson pick. Isn't BB supposed to be a superior drafter?

I don’t know that Belichick is a superior drafter I guess the case could be made either way; Belichick is superior at compiling picks so he is able to pad a lot of his drafts and therefore increase the likelihood of coming out of it with a stud or two. Bill is also the best in UDFA in my opinion.

The problem with the value pick assertion that many have made is we aren’t making value picks anymore we’re actually drafting for a need and missing on that need which forces us to invest further resources into the same position. Take the need for a starting CB we started out by investing the 33rd overall pick in 2011 and when that failed we were forced to trade a 4th rounder to Tampa for Talib in 2012 and then spend $5.5 million on Talib in free agency in 2013 to fill that need, had we hit on Dowling we would have had the extra pick and the extra money in free agency.

What an embarrassing draft choice.

By far the biggest reach of that draft....Maybe of the past 3-5 drafts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore