PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dynasties? Hmmm.

Closest dynasty we will see is the Patriots three titles in five years. 2014-2018. Add in another SB trip.

Way too much parity.

I'm not even sure the two teams playing today are locks to win their division next year.

Sigh. The dynasty word again. 3 out of 4 is not a dynasty. 4 years is not a dynasty, it can be a great 4 year stretch but it's not a dynasty. A dynasty is a minimum of a decade, several championships, even more conference title game wins/appearances. A dynasty requires the element of time, which isn't achieved in 3 frickin' years.

Easily done 3 outta 4? Highly doubt that. The coach made no difference last year that much is certain.
Yes, easily. That KC team only needs a coach who doesn't choke. If Mahomes knew to throw 5 yard checkdowns, they would annihilate people.

As it was they lost a coin toss in OT against the Patriots and somehow lost to Cincy this year.

i would think back to 2 byes per conference

Wouldn't work with 8 teams. 2 byes only works with 6 playoff teams.

8 playoff teams would mean no byes, which to me is better than 7 teams with 1 bye. Rather go back to 6 teams and 2 byes though.

It’s going to be tough for any team unless you have a QB that is obsessed like Tom Brady, having a Coach like Bill along with hitting on the draft and FA.

Chiefs had a shot, but imploded. Mahomes is stubborn and has a wife and brother who are major distractions. Coach still makes bizarre decisions that are costly. Team hasn’t drafted well lately.

We’re going to see a lot of parity.

Wouldn't work with 8 teams. 2 byes only works with 6 playoff teams.

8 playoff teams would mean no byes, which to me is better than 7 teams with 1 bye. Rather go back to 6 teams and 2 byes though.
huh ... obviously i did not do the math... what is the next greater number that could sustain two byes? 14? looks right...

so they will expand the playoffs to 14/28 teams ... but, in thinking on it... that might be more palatable after they expand the league to 36 then 40 teams...

Ryan is just an old fart who worships the Aurbach and Russell era Celtics and doesn’t like giving credit to other Boston teams.

Actually when the Celtics won in 2008 Ryan wrote a piece that it was the greatest Celtic team in history.

I emailed him "how can you say they're better than the 86 Celtics or about a half dozen of the Russell teams."

He responded calling me an old fart.

Weigh in: When will we see another dynasty in the NFL, with 3 out of 4 being the buy-in for "Dynasty"?
No because there won't be another Brady and there are too many young quarterbacks in the league right now who will likely pick each other off for the next 10-15 years or so. Brady (and Belichick) were able to overcome the other greats of his era more often than not; I don't see another quarterback (and HC) being capable of that. And I do think an elite quarterback is essential in today's NFL for any team to be a viable dynasty contender. Unless you're Joe Walsh reinventing an offensive system and plugging HOFers into it, a head coach is not carrying a franchise on his back like an all-time elite quarterback. Belichick was not winning multiple Super Bowls with Drew Bledsoe.

Also, more impressive than 3 of 4 Super Bowls is appearing in 5 and winning 4 in 7 seasons with two different teams. Brady has more Super Bowl titles than any franchise… that's IMPRESSIVE.

Going repeat in the AFC is going to be really hard. Our conference has Mahomes, Allen, Herbert and Burrow. It’s going to be a bloodbath for the next decade +
Makes what the Pats did all the more spectacular! AFC had Big Ben, Manning, Luck, Rivers consistently there every year and the ratbirds defense.

Ehh. When our dynasty started the AFC had Brady, Manning, Ben, and Rivers. Also later on guys like Flacco, Luck, etc came in
Just types the same thing.

Yes, easily. That KC team only needs a coach who doesn't choke. If Mahomes knew to throw 5 yard checkdowns, they would annihilate people.

As it was they lost a coin toss in OT against the Patriots and somehow lost to Cincy this year.

Thats a pretty big assumption, especially considering the way tampa dominated them in the trenches last year on both sides and their collapse against cincy was probably 90% on mahomes. Were also discounting the fact that kc barely escaped against buffalo if not for a total collapse by their d, and in their lone title win them needing 3 double digit comebacks. Nothing is coming ‘easy’ for that team.

And even if we did believe this about the non choking coach being the only issue there, its still making my original point. Reid , with all his weaknesses, is still widely considered an elite hc right now. To improve from him is going to a bb level coach to pair with mahomes. And that’s essentially the extreme rare circumstance/ combo i was talking about which is unlikely to occur, which is why 3 of 4 probably doesn’t happen in the current setup.

Is there a Google translate for sentences like this?
I don’t think so, you just have to understand English.

SCqhqO.gif

I love me some dynasties...

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST