PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Duke traded to Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only on this forum could it be argued that Cyrus Jones and Duke Dawson weren't bad picks for the New England Patriots.
Again who cares?

This is a rare occasion I don’t care a 2nd pick didn’t make it due to the secondary being as stacked as it is. I’m quite surprised people are freaking out over it. However, it would’ve been understandable if it was during 2008-2013.

Even if that is the case why re-sign McCourty if you have the budding superstar that is Duke Dawson waiting in the wings? I was responding to a post that claimed that DD was traded because we are so deep at DB not because DD sucked. The reason we ended up so much deeper this year is because Dawson sucked and Bill did more to shore up the position (ie. re-signing McCourty and drafting a corner).
Why hedge your bet on one player. It's like @BradyFTW! was saying. Competition and let the cream rise to the top!

And what does any of that have to do with my post you quoted?
You said:
So every single bust should be let off the hook because they got injured? He had a hamstring injury. He was available for the second half of the year and did nothing. He did less than nothing he didn't even suit up. He took up space on the sideline. I love the knots you can tie yourself into to make sure someone isn't labeled a bust or a wasted pick.
I said:
Remember special teams matter. I speculated last season the reason Crossen was on the active 46 over Dawson was because of this. Watching preseason it turned out to be correct. Crossen is a beast on ST's.
JC Jackson beats out Duke Dawson for the last spot at corner on defense. Doesn't mean Duke Dawson sucks, we don't know that. It just means JC Jackson was better. We'll find out if Duke Dawson sucks or not in the next few seasons.

I care about the team and it’s success. I couldnt care less about Monday morning quarterbacking to label something.
What difference does it make.
You're right Andy. Nothing we do affects the team one way or the other. Whats the point of it all?!?

Honestly wouldn’t care if they set every 2nd round draft card on fire on the draft stage from now on if the apparent level of talent on the team in general and the secondary in particular remains as it is. If 2nd round DB “busts” are the tithe Bill has to pay to maintain his deal with the Devil, so be it.
C'mon now...

Dawson- Miss
Jones- Miss
Richards- Miss
Jimmy- Hit
Jamie- Hit
Dobson- Miss
Tavon- 94 NFL games. 8 INTs- Miss but Hit somewhere else
Dowling- Miss
Vereen- Hit
Gronk- Hit
Cunningham- Miss
Spikes- Hit 78 games/49 starts
Chung- Hit
Brace- Miss
Butler-Miss but Hit somewhere else
Vollmer-Hit
Wheatley-Miss
Jackson- Miss
Hill- Miss
Wilson- Hit
Johnson- Miss
Branch- Hit
Light- Hit
Klemm- Miss

Total Picks: 24
Hits: 10
Misses: 14

Success Rate: 42%

NFL Average (based on players starting) 2nd Round - OL (70%) LB (55%) TE (50%) WR (49%) DB (46%) QB (27%) DL (26%) RB (25%)

You said:

I said:

JC Jackson beats out Duke Dawson for the last spot at corner on defense. Doesn't mean Duke Dawson sucks, we don't know that. It just means JC Jackson was better. We'll find out if Duke Dawson sucks or not in the next few seasons.

Well the only team I care about Duke Dawson sucking or not sucking for is the Patriots. If he was good he would be on the roster. Plain and simple.

Well the only team I care about Duke Dawson sucking or not sucking for is the Patriots. If he was good he would be on the roster. Plain and simple.
BB is going to do a number on you(If he hasn't already have) with the way he drafts and runs this team. Good luck to you!;)

You're right Andy. Nothing we do affects the team one way or the other. Whats the point of it all?!?
Are you saying you think it does affect the team?

We are in the midst of the greatest dynasty ever. We are defending Sb champs looking to and a favorite to make it 4 in 6 years.
There is a lot of good to talk about why would you want to waste your time crying about a guy who didn’t make the team at a position we may be the best in the NFL?
And then you get all triggered about it.

Chung was a miss. He was terrible during his first stint there as BB has admitted blame to that playing him out of position.

Chung was not a miss. Goodness.

In your view...

2009 and 2010-Hit
2011-2012- Miss
2014- Present- Hit

Seeing how he was a hit in 80% of the games here, thats a hit to me.

Chung was a miss. He was terrible during his first stint there as BB has admitted blame to that playing him out of position.

If the coach was playing him in the wrong position, how does that make the player a bad pick?

Chung was not a miss. Goodness.

In your view...

2009 and 2010-Hit
2011-2012- Miss
2014- Present- Hit

Seeing how he was a hit in 80% of the games here, thats a hit to me.
Where do you come up with him being a “hit” in 2009 and 2010? He wasn’t good during his first stint there and finally dumped to the Eagles.

I’m not counting his 2nd stint here and nor should you.

If the coach was playing him in the wrong position, how does that make the player a bad pick?
Because it wasn’t a guarantee he would be successful playing strong safety.

@TommyD4207 are you psychic?

Last edited:
Where do you come up with him being a “hit” in 2009 and 2010? He wasn’t good during his first stint there and finally dumped to the Eagles.

He was good in 09 and 2010 and I am counting his 2nd stint here as should you because w/o his first stint he would not have been successful during the 2nd one.

Why not?

"The Hazard of Duke."

A documentary on Bill Belichick's 2nd round drafting prowess.

Regards,
Chris

Chung didn't go away and then became an All-Pro, only to return to the Patriots. He flamed out in 2 locations, and only became successful when he returned to the tutelage of one of the greatest coaches of all time, and his role was more limited.

For crying out loud, stop with the nonsense already.

He was good in 09 and 2010 and I am counting his 2nd stint here as should you because w/o his first stint he would not have been successful during the 2nd one.
No point of going any further because I disagree. But I do want to correct myself as I thought he was traded to the Eagles. Pats let him walk in FA.

I will end it with this, if was any good, the Pats wouldn’t have let him walk to the Eagles for a measly $10M for 3 years as their secondary was trash from 2009-2012. It’s not like they had a stud waiting at SS. That should tell you all you need to know about how they felt about Chung at that time.

As @Deus Irae mentioned, he played an entirely different role when he returned which plays more to his strengths.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference