PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Duke D activated; Grigsby, Barner cut; EDIT: LB-ST Humber added

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thought it would be Crossen for Dawson, but Grigsby works about the same.

Barner is a surprise, though, unless they're promoting Anderson to cover for Allen. OTOH, they wouldn't really need to do that until the end of wk-12. Curious.

Barner is a surprise, though, unless they're promoting Anderson to cover for Allen. OTOH, they wouldn't really need to do that until the end of wk-12. Curious.

Not really. The Yawn was clearly not working. If they indeed bring Anderson for Allen (different types of TEs but he plays ST like Allen) then id expect bringing Farrow back to PS for scout purposes. But they will probably go some other way around like they normally do..;)

Given that Patterson seems to have passed Barner on the RB depth chart and that Barner has been unable to carve out a spot for himself in the return game, I'm not surprised to see him gone. He was a RB that we were unwilling to rely on in any meaningful capacity even when every other RB on the roster was hurt, and now Michel is back and Burkhead appears to be coming back soon. Only way to make it as an RB4 who brings so little to the table as a RB is with ST value, like Bolden did. But in addition to being a worse RB than Bolden, Barner didn't really move the needle on ST either.

Given that Patterson seems to have passed Barner on the RB depth chart and that Barner has been unable to carve out a spot for himself in the return game, I'm not surprised to see him gone. He was a RB that we were unwilling to rely on in any meaningful capacity even when every other RB on the roster was hurt, and now Michel is back and Burkhead appears to be coming back soon. Only way to make it as an RB4 who brings so little to the table as a RB is with ST value, like Bolden did. But in addition to being a worse RB than Bolden, Barner didn't really move the needle on ST either.

I don't read this as Patterson having "passed" Barner on the depth chart or that Barner was, therefore, deemed useless. I think there was more going on there with Patterson's usage that was completely unrelated to Barner, but apparently I'm completely alone in that view.

So, be it.

Regardless, Barner's exit seems highly likely to indicate that the Pats are already certain that Burkhead will be re-activated at the earliest possible date (Monday, 11/26, IIRC).

If Patterson weren't considered able to play RB better than Barner, then Barner would likely have been kept until Burkhead returns.

Burkhead could get hurt in practice in the next 2 weeks. It doesn't seem reasonable to be so certain of Bulkhead that the backup doesn't stay until he is ready to play.

I don't read this as Patterson having "passed" Barner on the depth chart or that Barner was, therefore, deemed useless. I think there was more going on there with Patterson's usage that was completely unrelated to Barner, but apparently I'm completely alone in that view.

So, be it.

Regardless, Barner's exit seems highly likely to indicate that the Pats are already certain that Burkhead will be re-activated at the earliest possible date (Monday, 11/26, IIRC).

If Patterson weren't considered able to play RB better than Barner, then Barner would likely have been kept until Burkhead returns.

Burkhead could get hurt in practice in the next 2 weeks. It doesn't seem reasonable to be so certain of Bulkhead that the backup doesn't stay until he is ready to play.

I don't know that the Pats actually consider Patterson to be "better". He's performed well in limited action, certainly, but Barner hasn't been awful in his limited action. Patterson would be kept over Barner anyway - for his receiving skill and experience (which Barner doesn't have). It's not simply about their presumed relative merits running the ball out of the backfield.

Well, Burkhead has been around the facility for the past six weeks (as reported on by Reiss) and has practiced a couple days already. There's only so much the Pats can do to insure against possible future injury at one positions when confronted with an existing injury at another position (Allen). The Pats have one more game to get through (@Jets) before Burkhead can be activated.

Guy goes down like a bowling pin.

Hmm... not that I saw.

I thought he followed his blocking very well, especially compared to Gillislee, and actually didn't crumple on 1st contact, but fought for yards. I was even concerned a couple of times that, by fighting forward, he was opening the potential for the ball to be stripped.

Really wanted to see some Duke this year + better sets his future.
Grigsby replaced by McClellan 1-1.
B-Rex coming in week 13.

Nice late season boost . quite welcomed..

Really hope Duke Dawson shows potential of being very good young CB. Pats need a break the flame outs are too much to list.

Worse case, Dawson gets a couple of months practicing with the team.

Really wanted to see some Duke this year + better sets his future.
Grigsby replaced by McClellan 1-1.
B-Rex coming in week 13.

Nice late season boost . quite welcomed..

Reeling in some youth, swag and enthusiasm. I like it.

Talking about Burkhead might get him hurt quit it already guys.

Solution

bubble-wrap-guy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back