PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Duke D activated; Grigsby, Barner cut; EDIT: LB-ST Humber added

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if we might claim C.J. Anderson...
Wouldn’t be a terrible move, although the circumstances surrounding his time with, and departure in CAR are a bit odd.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t be a terrible move, although the circumstances surrounding his time with, and departure during his time in CAR are a bit odd.

Not sure how they'd make room for him.

Not sure how they'd make room for him.

We can trim some fat somewhere....someone is not doing their job well on our ST coverage units....

I'd be more comfortable with Anderson on the roster ready to roll if Michel is unable to finish the season. We should bring him in after he clears waivers to get him up to speed just in case.

Based on past draft history I have zero expectations for Dawson, my ceiling for him is mid range slot corner with some special teams ability. In other words, best case is he becomes a JAG.

Bah humbug.

Based on past draft history I have zero expectations for Dawson, my ceiling for him is mid range slot corner with some special teams ability. In other words, best case is he becomes a JAG.

Bah humbug.

I know some more knowledgeable posters here see him differently, and their facts obviously overrule my feelings, but Dawson has from day 1 given me the feeling of yet another Terrence Wheatley type.

We can trim some fat somewhere....someone is not doing their job well on our ST coverage units....

Grigsby was waived yesterday. ;)

I'd be more comfortable with Anderson on the roster ready to roll if Michel is unable to finish the season. We should bring him in after he clears waivers to get him up to speed just in case.

I'm not seeing a lot of "fat" that can be cut without losing a still-developing young prospect. And I'm not certain that Anderson is guaranteed to be a sigificant upgrade over Barner.

It was Roberts vs Humber for last LB spot in that final preseason game of 2016 . and Roberts managed to heroically limp his way to not only 53 but regular LB rotation - despite not playing ST - and kept it ever since.

Roberts seemed to be injured again last week and the week before so maybe this time Humber might come in for Roberts.

Humber is core ST of course but he is also quite a run stuffer . playing great in 2017 for BUF before injury sidelined him and Matt Milano who I thought would be a Pat predraft stepped up and never looked back.

While DL run play remains sub par (esp. when Shelton is in rotation) the LB run stuffing was poor lately as well so I wouldn't be surprised if this is attempt to both solidify ST and run D..

btw - they were trying playing some Roberts on ST this season but didn't look too good..

When does Dawson play? Who's snaps does he take? I am not sure we can expect him to be better than anybody already on the field. So, maybe it is special teams and depth. Overall, I am apathetic about him being back.

Prove me wrong.

Roberts seemed to be injured again last week and the week before so maybe this time Humber might come in for Roberts.

Roberts' snap percentage was about half his season average for the GBY game. Back to normal (~50%) against TEN - posted 6 tackles (4 solo) and a sack.

When does Dawson play? Who's snaps does he take? I am not sure we can expect him to be better than anybody already on the field. So, maybe it is special teams and depth. Overall, I am apathetic about him being back.

Prove me wrong.

If he can play ST, hopefully he can relieve DMac and Chung of some of the ST snaps they've had. On defense, I don't see him taking significant snaps away from any one player anytime soon, but maybe getting a few here-and-there at pretty much every position in the secondary.

I think the main objective here is to give him more of a chance to develop. In college, he seemed very quick and aggressive, but smart. Good instincts, good tackler, good ball skills.

I don't think that he's taking a roster spot from anyone who was contributing a whole lot.

So, Humber was waived by BUF on Nov. 10th and cleared on Sunday the 11th. Grigsby and Barner were waived on the 13th (Pats first day back). Dawson was activated on the 13th, then Humber signed on the 14th.

It appears that special teams proficiency, LB depth, and developmental DB depth won out over RB depth.

Problems on the OL? Sign a ST guy!
Problems at RB? Sign a ST guy!
TE issues? Sign a ST guy!
Need help against the run? Sign a ST guy!
Getting a cold? Sign a ST guy!
Forgot to feed the dog? Sign a ST guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes