PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drew Bledsoe: "Give Cam Newton a Full Year"

To be fair to Drewpy...he was NEVER much of a deep thinker. The fact that he could never process how to throw a 5 yard dumpoff his entire NFL career left him at the mercy of intelligent young QB's as his career careened of the cliff...

To be fair to Drewpy...he was NEVER much of a deep thinker. The fact that he could never process how to throw a 5 yard dumpoff his entire NFL career left him at the mercy of intelligent young QB's as his career careened of the cliff...

More to the argument that “you are what you are” and most QBs are never able to correct those major deficiencies because mental talent is an innate skill just like physical talent.

I still think the logic is flawed. Drew's reasons for Cam deserving the start are all external to Cam. "Cam should be the guy because the guys around Cam in 2021 are better than 2020." But if you start Mac, he'll also play with those same guys so it really doesn't help your case at all.

You could argue for the benefits of sitting a rookie for his development, or if you think Mac is just not as good as Cam at this point in time, but saying the tools Cam has this year are better doesn't really mean anything when Mac would also get to use those same tools. That's like saying "I'm gonna go ahead and hire Jim as my accountant again this year because last year the child tax credit was $2000 but this year it's $3000 so I'll get a bigger refund."

If Bill believes by the end of pre-season that Cam still has what it takes to help the t-e-a-m win games, then he'll start Cam no matter how well Mac has progressed... But make no mistake: there will be a leash on him this season...and it will be a short one...

Of course. Patrick Mahomes sat out for a year, Andrew Luck didn't. Both are/were outstanding QBs.
And maybe the chiefs wouldn’t have lost in the wild card round if they hadn’t sat mahomes.

If Bill believes by the end of pre-season that Cam still has what it takes to help the t-e-a-m win games, then he'll start Cam no matter how well Mac has progressed... But make no mistake: there will be a leash on him this season...and it will be a short one...
It’s the other way around. Newton only plays if Jones isn’t ready. There is no way the decision is “yeah I think cam is a good qb”

I’ve read many posts about sitting a guy in year one.

There’s no universal truth on this one.

Times are different now…college QBs grow up and go to pro style QB camps and play football year around with film study, specialized mechanics guys, etc. A lot of blue chip QBs choose their school based on the pro readiness of the offense and likelihood that NFL teams will draft them high.

Sure…I agree that you can ruin a QB’s confidence. It’s just that quarterbacks now are more likely to come in prepared with the tools they‘ll need. Waiting a year - out of principle - could also be pointless. It all depends on the quarterback.
All the rules favor the passing game. And it's not like Jones is in a Carr type situation with a bad team and an even worse OLine.

There is no valid argument for sitting him if BB thinks he is ready and/or gives them the best chance of winning. And it clearly looks like he does at this point. Can't wait for the joint practices.

Let's hope there's a choke collar at the end of the leash.

Drew is entitled to his opinion just like the rest of us are.

It's BB's call at the end of the day and he is choosing the turnover-free guy that moves the chains the best. Either way, we're in for a treat, IMO.

I think the biggest factor and divide is thinking last year is what Cam is, vs thinking he's better than that.

Drew:

"I think they've got to let Cam go a little bit. And I would really like to see Cam get a full year," Bledsoe said. "Last year, the cupboard was kind of empty up there, and I think everybody recognizes that now. There wasn't a lot in terms of weapons for him. They went out and got some weapons, and I think it'd be great to see Cam get back out there and show why he was an NFL MVP."
All of that was in the OP, which was you, 23 minutes before you posted this. Come on man.

And maybe the chiefs wouldn’t have lost in the wild card round if they hadn’t sat mahomes.

And maybe playing Mahomes too early causes him to develop bad habits and happy feet.

Maybe if I had tried harder I could have finger banged Katy Taft in 8th grade.

I have a lot of respect for Drew ,the 2nd best qb we ever had , but i tend to disagree with him
I have the impression that he will be the exact same playier we saw last year
But if he will be the starter i hope to be wrong

In the meantime, all that shiny new expensive weaponry will be devoting precious practice time learning Cam specific plays...
QB sneak left
QB sneak center
QB sneak right

Who isn't pumped and jacked for another season of Cam's ground game magic

No player gets a year to see how they do.
Exactly. Drew's comment makes zero sense in the real world. The NFL is all about production not let's see if this works better for you.

"Bledsoe makes some interesting and fair points. The Patriots definitely have much better weapons on offense this year compared to last season. The offseason free agent spending spree to acquire wide receivers Kendrick Bourne and Nelson Agholor, as well as tight ends Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith has significantly bolstered the talent level and depth of the team's offense. Newton has a lot more to work with in 2021, that's for sure."

Newton’s problem isn’t the talent around him, it’s him. If Jones beats him out he should get the job.

No. Mac is a rookie. He needs to sit for at least a few weeks and see the game at NFL speeds.

Mac has the potential to be a great QB, but don't conflate potential or promise with reality. He's not there yet. He should not be thrown to the wolves prematurely just because, emotionally, we can't trust Cam.

Mac looks like he's a couple flicked switches from being an elite passing QB, but we cann't assume those switches will flip on our schedule. even if the plan changes in the event, and Mac shows us what he can really do, we can't count on that until iit's actually happening, and have to plan as if Mac will do exactly jack-all this year other than playing a bit of garbage time.

Also I might feel differently if I thought we were first line contenders this year. as constituted though we're not Superbowl contenders, we're playoff contenders, that's all. Not good enough to risk destroying a rookie for short term gains.

While I get what you are saying you only keep him on the bench if Newton is winning games for them. If the young QB is mentally tough, and confident in their abilities, then they will fight through the tough times early in their career and learn and benefit from them. Manning went 1-15 and Elway’s rookie season was terrible, both went on to become all time great QB’s. If Belichick decides to go with Newton despite Jones outplaying him in the preseason then I won’t ***** about it, but if Newton is sucking and the Patriots are losing in September then it’s time for Jones to see real action. Either way I would rather see Jones get real playing time this season, and not just sit in the hope that will somehow make him better.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back