PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drew Bledsoe: "Give Cam Newton a Full Year"

I don't really understand that argument. "They need to start Cam, because the players around Cam are better now." Won't that also be true for Mac, if he seems to be the better overall player at the position?
No. Mac is a rookie. He needs to sit for at least a few weeks and see the game at NFL speeds.

Mac has the potential to be a great QB, but don't conflate potential or promise with reality. He's not there yet. He should not be thrown to the wolves prematurely just because, emotionally, we can't trust Cam.

Mac looks like he's a couple flicked switches from being an elite passing QB, but we cann't assume those switches will flip on our schedule. even if the plan changes in the event, and Mac shows us what he can really do, we can't count on that until iit's actually happening, and have to plan as if Mac will do exactly jack-all this year other than playing a bit of garbage time.

Also I might feel differently if I thought we were first line contenders this year. as constituted though we're not Superbowl contenders, we're playoff contenders, that's all. Not good enough to risk destroying a rookie for short term gains.

"Drew Bledsoe... said that he'd like to see Newton play a full year in New England's offense after a challenging 2020 campaign for both the player and the team.

"I think they've got to let Cam go a little bit. And I would really like to see Cam get a full year," Bledsoe said. "Last year, the cupboard was kind of empty up there, and I think everybody recognizes that now. There wasn't a lot in terms of weapons for him. They went out and got some weapons, and I think it'd be great to see Cam get back out there and show why he was an NFL MVP."

I'd like to see that because I'd like to see Jones get redshirted for a year. Now, if the team becomes too painful to watch with Cam in there like it became last year, maybe that's another story.

Why baby Mac? I don't see the benefit. Bill ought to start him if he thinks he's ready.

Why baby Mac? I don't see the benefit. Bill ought to start him if he thinks he's ready.
Sitting a rookie QB for a year, 1/2 year, isn't babying him.

From the guy who thought he should play over Brady.

you dyam moron...only a total football MORON would want to red shirt Mac Jones...log off and read up on the game before you puke up any more inanities...idiot
hqdefault.jpg

Nice family pic, OranguTommy..."red shirt"...jeezus krist what a moron

I know it’s not how it will happen…I want Mac to watch one game from the sidelines. I think that 1st game makes a big difference with jitters and takes that weight off his shoulders.

Cam is not the answer…but I do want Mac to watch the 1st game.

Last edited:
Figures…no quarterback got more excuses made for him than Bledsoe. “Just give him a little more time to adjust…” “Just give him some better blocking...” “Just get him better receivers…” “Just let him play to earn his job back…”

I saw the same cam from last season on Thursday.

That's the right color shirt Mac:

https---musketfire.com-wp-content-uploads-getty-images-2021-06-1233489414-850x560.jpeg

Just a little longer in red Mac. You can hang on.

5519e411-40ff-4981-abc7-9267c4f939c5-jones1002.jpg

No. Mac is a rookie. He needs to sit for at least a few weeks and see the game at NFL speeds.

Mac has the potential to be a great QB, but don't conflate potential or promise with reality. He's not there yet. He should not be thrown to the wolves prematurely just because, emotionally, we can't trust Cam.

Mac looks like he's a couple flicked switches from being an elite passing QB, but we cann't assume those switches will flip on our schedule. even if the plan changes in the event, and Mac shows us what he can really do, we can't count on that until iit's actually happening, and have to plan as if Mac will do exactly jack-all this year other than playing a bit of garbage time.

Also I might feel differently if I thought we were first line contenders this year. as constituted though we're not Superbowl contenders, we're playoff contenders, that's all. Not good enough to risk destroying a rookie for short term gains

What does he gain by sitting?

What is a Redshirt?​

We hear the term redshirt all the time. Watching college football on Saturdays, you often hear the broadcasters talk about redshirt players. But what does redshirt mean? Does it matter beyond football?

To redshirt means to sit out of competition a year. During the redshirt year, you are able to practice, but not compete. If you enter a competition for even one second, your redshirt disappears.

Drew (who himself started as a rookie) is being magnanimous and deferential to the veteran. When you think about it, he pretty much had to respond that way even if he does think Cam's washed up and Mac is capable.

Here is why the only way Newton plays is if Jones just isn’t mentally ready.

From 2011 to 2018 the Patriots went 99-29 in the regular season, 18-5 in the postseason, went to at least the AFCCG and won the AFCE all 8 years, went to 5 SBs and won 3. Scored 29.5 ppg.

In their last 24 games they are 11-13 including 0-1 in the playoffs and hand scored 20.4 ppg.

There is no time to wait.

Drew (who himself started as a rookie) is being magnanimous and deferential to the veteran. When you think about it, he pretty much had to respond that way even if he does think Cam's washed up and Mac is capable.
No he didn’t. He could respond honestly (if you are right) or intelligently (if you are wrong) or kept his mouth shut.
Saying Cam Newton should be the starter all year makes him look like a buffoon.

I’ve read many posts about sitting a guy in year one.

There’s no universal truth on this one.

Times are different now…college QBs grow up and go to pro style QB camps and play football year around with film study, specialized mechanics guys, etc. A lot of blue chip QBs choose their school based on the pro readiness of the offense and likelihood that NFL teams will draft them high.

Sure…I agree that you can ruin a QB’s confidence. It’s just that quarterbacks now are more likely to come in prepared with the tools they‘ll need. Waiting a year - out of principle - could also be pointless. It all depends on the quarterback.

Drew is still hurting from having a young guy come in, replace him, and outperform him. Yeah, Drew, you would have learned a lot in your rookie season by sitting behind Scott Zolak.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back