PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drew Bledsoe: "Give Cam Newton a Full Year"

Curran when he listens to his own podcasts......
office space GIF

Yeah Curran is becoming a media troll by the clear bias to going with Mac. Hard to see him as a balanced source of info when it comes to QBs. Cam hasn't done anything to lose the job this month. How do you do better than 8 for 9 passing with 1 TD.

Yeah Curran is becoming a media troll by the clear bias to going with Mac. Hard to see him as a balanced source of info when it comes to QBs. Cam hasn't done anything to lose the job this month. How do you do better than 8 for 9 passing with 1 TD.
It is hard to get unbiased analysis from the local beat guys at this point. I like Paul Perillo on PFW. He is generally pretty unbiased and he has Cam and Mac pretty even so far in camp.

It is hard to get unbiased analysis from the local beat guys at this point. I like Paul Perillo on PFW. He is generally pretty unbiased and he has Cam and Mac pretty even so far in camp.

I've been really enjoying Lazar and Barth on their podcast after each practice/game so far. Lazar shades towards being too optimistic in some cases, but when there's a clear deficiency or underperforming player they don't shy away from it (for example, they've been banging the drum on the lack of depth at outside corner all camp). I get the sense they really enjoy the battles that naturally go back and forth in training camp, and are trying to make genuine analysis rather than just spit out hot takes.

I've been really enjoying Lazar and Barth on their podcast after each practice/game so far. Lazar shades towards being too optimistic in some cases, but when there's a clear deficiency or underperforming player they don't shy away from it (for example, they've been banging the drum on the lack of depth at outside corner all camp). I get the sense they really enjoy the battles that naturally go back and forth in training camp, and are trying to make genuine analysis rather than just spit out hot takes.
I like Lazar but I have seen him getting into it a few times with people who bash Cam so I wasn't sure if he was one of the staunch Cam defenders or not. Barth I never really paid much attention to since he is on 98.5 (which I like for entertainment, analysis not so much). I will give him a follow and check out his analysis.

Why do you think an opinion is biased because you don’t like it?

It’s not about what Newton does. It’s Jones job at whatever point Jones is ready. That is for certain. Newton at best is filling in for a while.
It isn’t his job to lose, he has already lost it. It’s just a matter of when Jones is ready.

Make the connection

otherwise you’re nothing more than an idiot who can’t comprehend
If you play the most critical position in the game, if you are good over the course of your career you win.

If you play the most critical position in the game, if you are good over the course of your career you win.
stop deflecting........you blubbered bullsh!t now own it you liar

so you're saying that Dan Fouts, Warren Moon, Ken Anderson, Sonny Jurgensen all sucked......got it

stop deflecting........you blubbered bullsh!t now own it you liar

so you're saying that Dan Fouts, Warren Moon, Ken Anderson, Sonny Jurgensen all sucked......got it
When did I say that?
I never mentioned those guys but since you asked.
Fouts sucked at the beginning of his career, there is no question about that, then he had 6 winning seasons in 8.
Moon was more of a compiler than a great qb but he had 8 winning seasons in a row followed by 3 .500 seasons at age 39-41.
Anderson had 8 winning seasons
Jurgensen isn’t a guy who I ever thought very highly of. Compiled some stats threw a lot of tds and picks but never won much of anything. Of course we both know that the qb position had no where near the impact on winning and losing 50 years ago when jurgensen played as it does now.

To the point Newton has been a starting QB. 10 seasons and lost more than he won 7 times. What is good about that? Or is it everyone else’s fault?

When did I say that?
I never mentioned those guys but since you asked.
Fouts sucked at the beginning of his career, there is no question about that, then he had 6 winning seasons in 8.
Moon was more of a compiler than a great qb but he had 8 winning seasons in a row followed by 3 .500 seasons at age 39-41.
Anderson had 8 winning seasons
Jurgensen isn’t a guy who I ever thought very highly of. Compiled some stats threw a lot of tds and picks but never won much of anything. Of course we both know that the qb position had no where near the impact on winning and losing 50 years ago when jurgensen played as it does now.

To the point Newton has been a starting QB. 10 seasons and lost more than he won 7 times. What is good about that? Or is it everyone else’s fault?

none of them won anything, therefore they suck.....that's what you said

Steve Grogan, Drew Bledsoe, Tony Romo, Dave Krieg...they all sucked

but Jim McMahon, Trent Dilfer, and Brad Johnson are awesome according to you

Stid's 1st 3 preseason games:
14/24 179yds 1TD 1Sk
14/19 193yds 1TD (with game winning drive) 0Sk
15/19 134yds 5Sk

I was pretty excited about him, then, so my excitement for Mac is high but relatively restrained.
Heck, maybe Stid would've been a lot better if he took over for Brady right in the beginning of 2019 /s.

Stid's 1st 3 preseason games:
14/24 179yds 1TD 1Sk
14/19 193yds 1TD (with game winning drive) 0Sk
15/19 134yds 5Sk

I was pretty excited about him, then, so my excitement for Mac is high but relatively restrained.
Heck, maybe Stid would've been a lot better if he took over for Brady right in the beginning of 2019 /s.

Good context. No need to rush it with Mac Jones even if he is high potential.

I like Lazar but I have seen him getting into it a few times with people who bash Cam so I wasn't sure if he was one of the staunch Cam defenders or not. Barth I never really paid much attention to since he is on 98.5 (which I like for entertainment, analysis not so much). I will give him a follow and check out his analysis.

Both him and Barth are positive on Cam. I wouldn't classify them as staunch Cam defenders per se, they both acknowledge the things he can't do, and what McDaniels can't do with this offense because of that. But they're firmly in the "Cam is probably starting week 1, and that's okay" camp, so depending on your tolerance for that opinion, you might be put off by them.

Its not really his job to lose. I hate to break it to all the Cam fans, but if Bill thought much of him, they would not have taken one in the first round. He is a place filler until he can be replaced. Sorry but doing well against the Eagles C team with 5 seconds to throw the ball is not really giving a good indication of what happens in the regular season.

Good context. No need to rush it with Mac Jones even if he is high potential.

Why? If he is ready to start, then he should start. Why did we just go blow the bank on a bunch of free agents if the plan was to ride Cam to a .500 season again? I never got this, oh wait he can't start yet...I mean it took Bledsoe getting hurt to put Brady in and look what happened. Go with the best player, these are grown ups. If it hurts his feelings to have some rough games then he is probably not what we want anyway.

none of them won anything, therefore they suck.....that's what you said

Steve Grogan, Drew Bledsoe, Tony Romo, Dave Krieg...they all sucked

but Jim McMahon, Trent Dilfer, and Brad Johnson are awesome according to you
That absolutely is not what I said. You have to lie about what i said to disagree with it.

Why? If he is ready to start, then he should start. Why did we just go blow the bank on a bunch of free agents if the plan was to ride Cam to a .500 season again? I never got this, oh wait he can't start yet...I mean it took Bledsoe getting hurt to put Brady in and look what happened. Go with the best player, these are grown ups. If it hurts his feelings to have some rough games then he is probably not what we want anyway.
This has been my opinion since we picked him. Enough with "protecting" Mac from game 1 or 4 or any of that silliness. If he's the best QB on the team, you play him. The idea that Cam has been cemented in the starting spot after what he did last year is just delusional.

Mac won a chip at Bama under Saban after having one of the greatest seasons ever by a college QB. Heisman finalist. Drafted 15th overall by Bill. He's not some project that needs to be put together.

I was in full support of Cam & bully ball last year. Thought he might be back last Nov/Dec. I've always been a fan, since Florida. It's almost 2022 though, Cam just hasn't been that great dating back before last year.

How many times have we seen Cam move in pocket like this. Open up to one side to move a 2nd level defender and then throwing a ball to protect his target. Nothing mind blowing but again you just didn't see that, that often with Cam last year.

I honestly, genuinely believe real Pats like/love Cam and it's not personal or toxic like some weirdos are saying. I don't think real fans think like that anyway. It's not that deep. Play the best players.

This has been my opinion since we picked him. Enough with "protecting" Mac from game 1 or 4 or any of that silliness. If he's the best QB on the team, you play him. The idea that Cam has been cemented in the starting spot after what he did last year is just delusional.

Mac won a chip at Bama under Saban after having one of the greatest seasons ever by a college QB. Heisman finalist. Drafted 15th overall by Bill. He's not some project that needs to be put together.

I was in full support of Cam & bully ball last year. Thought he might be back last Nov/Dec. I've always been a fan, since Florida. It's almost 2022 though, Cam just hasn't been that great dating back before last year.

How many times have we seen Cam move in pocket like this. Open up to one side to move a 2nd level defender and then throwing a ball to protect his target. Nothing mind blowing but again you just didn't see that, that often with Cam last year.

I honestly, genuinely believe real Pats like/love Cam and it's not personal or toxic like some weirdos are saying. I don't think real fans think like that anyway. It's not that deep. Play the best players.

The way I see it, if his feelings get hurt because he might get benched, then its good to find out he is that soft. Sorry but some players use things as motivation and some use them as an excuse. You get knocked down, you prove them wrong, you get told you can't, you use that the rest of your life. That mantra made an unnamed Qb here win for 20 years. Some grab it by the horns and make the best of their opportunity, some do not.

Both him and Barth are positive on Cam. I wouldn't classify them as staunch Cam defenders per se, they both acknowledge the things he can't do, and what McDaniels can't do with this offense because of that. But they're firmly in the "Cam is probably starting week 1, and that's okay" camp, so depending on your tolerance for that opinion, you might be put off by them.
I’m fine if someone defends Cam but is honest about his shortcomings. If it turns into the “He had Covid” and “no weapons!” that’s when I tune out. I am under the impression Cam is the starter for at least the first month at this point. I just don’t think Bill wants to start Mac right off the bat unless he’s far and away leading the race.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back