PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft thoughts ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great Blue North Draft Report. Uche was the only player listed who was not a reach.
Two of their UDFAs had higher rankings.

And what led to you choosing this site as the one to post the rankings from?

And what led to you choosing this site as the one to post the rankings from?
Just a draft site listing player rankings by position and with a big board. Incidentally,
this is the first year that there has been this wide discrepancy.

Great Blue North Draft Report. Uche was the only player listed who was not a reach.
How closely did you look at their rankings? They missed by miles on a ton of players. Might need to dismiss this one as incompetent.

Edit: if you read through the site you will find this is just 2 old retired dudes whose careers had nothing to do with football, who are football fans.

Last edited:
Just a draft site listing player rankings by position and with a big board. Incidentally,
this is the first year that there has been this wide discrepancy.

Seems like a pretty arbitrary thing to use as proof we overdrafted players.

I found it interesting that with the first pick, BB went with a small school guy at a position that was IMO a big need going forward, but for this year not as much.

Then at tight end he went for two big school guys, out of the ACC and PAC 12, where that was a position that needs players to compete immediately.

I wonder if that means they thought Dugger was just the top talent on the board and the guy who could make the biggest impact in the long run.

And then at tight end if Trautman or Harrison Bryant, etc. might have been rated higher in the long term, but their immediate value was knocked down. Since they were from smaller schools and played against against lesser competition, the two he drafted might be able to make more of an immediate impact.

Keane playing in such a different system might poke a hole in that argument a little bit.

To each their own but I wouldn't put too much faith into someone who doesn't have a good track record themselves.

Nowadays almost anyone can write about football or the draft or we. There are so many sites out there, they'll take almost anyone.

I'm thinking the Pats were closer on where prospects should go than these guys with all due respect.

Seems like a pretty arbitrary thing to use as proof we overdrafted players.

I rely on Belichick's judgement as to when he needs to reach to get a player he wants, even moving up to protect the pick even though some analysts have been being draft a round or two later.

What I am more interested in is how well Belichick does by round (including the 1st and 2nd halves of Round One) in drafting players who are still competing in the league in 4 years. I would also be interested in who was ever a starter for any team, who was a regular contributor. Of course, we also need to compare this metic against other teams.

For example, my guess (or is my recall) is that Belichick does really well with players in Rounds 6, 7 and UDFA's).

In the end, it doesn't matter where Belichick finds our contributors. If every player picked this weekend was an "overdraft" according to analysts I'm fine with that. Belichick always make sure that we have plenty of picks, using the comp picks, trades before and during the draft. I just want Belichick to meet key needs, understanding that some needs are met from other sources. I understand that sometimes Belichick just doesn't value players in the their positions in the draft (TE's last year; WR's this year).

I rely on Belichick's judgement as to when he needs to reach to get a player he wants, even moving up to protect the pick even though some analysts have been being draft a round or two later.

What I am more interested in is how well Belichick does by round (including the 1st and 2nd halves of Round One) in drafting players who are still competing in the league in 4 years. I would also be interested in who was ever a starter for any team, who was a regular contributor. Of course, we also need to compare this metic against other teams.

For example, my guess (or is my recall) is that Belichick does really well with players in Rounds 6, 7 and UDFA's).

In the end, it doesn't matter where Belichick finds our contributors. If every player picked this weekend was an "overdraft" according to analysts I'm fine with that. Belichick always make sure that we have plenty of picks, using the comp picks, trades before and during the draft. I just want Belichick to meet key needs, understanding that some needs are met from other sources. I understand that sometimes Belichick just doesn't value players in the their positions in the draft (TE's last year; WR's this year).

Overwhelmingly, I agree with you. However, I think sometimes Belichick see that other teams value certain positions in the draft when he sees lesser value for his present team. With more than thirty wide outs taken this year, I think BB felt that he could probably get a very solid veteran wide receiver before training camp. Given that so many rookies will be supplanting veterans there may well be reasonable veteran options come August. In addition, with a young QB, having a veteran rather than another rookie might help him through the learning process that he will inevitably undergo. So, I think BB probably recognized that there were a bunch of good options for selecting a good young wideout but felt that, at this time, waiting for a veteran might be a better fit for this team.

BGC, what is your overall view of the Pats draft as it stands today?

Dugger is better.

why? Because he ran faster?

I get the hometown bias. And mckinney is no great player. He is a box safety only. In coverage against LSU, burrows lit him up like a pinball machine. I can only imagine the devastation someone like Mahomes could do to a mckinney! But McKinney played d1, competed in the best conference in college football (sec) and went to the college playoffs a few times.

Dugger has never played against a Lawrence of clemson, burrows from LSU, or even fromm from Georgia, Because he played d2. (Ps: three days of senior bowl practice is not equal to a full season of d1 football!)
The coaching he got at d2 is not nearly equivalent to what he would have gotten at a d1 school!
The strength and conditioning program at a d2 school, if his school even had a weight room, is nothing compared to a d1 school. And a d1 school is nothing compared to the nfl.

all I’m saying is Dugger has a long way to go for an older guy! and for pick 37, we should have got a guy that can contribute more than special teams!

BGC, what is your overall view of the Pats draft as it stands today?
B/B-

Expanding a bit ...
I might not have went in the same direction(s), picking those exact players, out of preference but they all were aligned with my grades so none were "reaches" by me.

Bill is definitely getting ahead & replacing defensive players. I mentioned before last year & was intrigued by his collection of LB's. We had & still a lot of guys in the same range. Bill is definitely following through & evolving his defense.

Love the two TEs. Asiasi & Keene both have upside & the potential to get considerably better. I'd still add at the position if the right guy comes along this year or next.
In general the whole offense is being evaluated for 2021. Who's worth keeping & in our future plans? Will Stidham take the job and look like a guy that you can win bc of/win with him?
The OL is the other big question. Get that fix & solidified.

Last edited:
I think that if BB sees a future need it makes sense to grab an outstanding talent that needs development when that opportunity presents itself. It would make no sense to me for him to forego a talented player just because he needs development if he plays a position that is not an immediate critical need. Even if it were an immediate critical need I’ll trust Belichick to have a good idea about how quickly he can coach s player up, and to what level he needs to do so for them to answer the need.

I found it interesting that with the first pick, BB went with a small school guy at a position that was IMO a big need going forward, but for this year not as much.

I get the hometown bias. And mckinney is no great player. He is a box safety only. In coverage against LSU, burrows lit him up like a pinball machine. I can only imagine the devastation someone like Mahomes could do to a mckinney! But McKinney played d1, competed in the best conference in college football (sec) and went to the college playoffs a few times.

Dugger has never played against a Lawrence of clemson, burrows from LSU, or even fromm from Georgia, Because he played d2. (Ps: three days of senior bowl practice is not equal to a full season of d1 football!)
The coaching he got at d2 is not nearly equivalent to what he would have gotten at a d1 school!
The strength and conditioning program at a d2 school, if his school even had a weight room, is nothing compared to a d1 school. And a d1 school is nothing compared to the nfl.

all I’m saying is Dugger has a long way to go for an older guy! and for pick 37, we should have got a guy that can contribute more than special teams!

Edit: if you read through the site you will find this is just 2 old retired dudes whose careers had nothing to do with football, who are football fans.
Are you one of them?

Good points, though I’m sure all of them were factored into the selection. This is part of the weight room, btw.

image_handler.aspx

My opinion of the player

Are D1 weights heavier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye