PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft thoughts ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's the thought behind a fast 3 cone? And why might he prioritize that equally, if not over, a 40? Genuinely asking. I'll offer my little take and let me know if I'm off base:

A player can have a great 3 cone, but average 40 - and that's okay because not often does an NFL play stretch 40 yds. 3 cone shows burst, quickness, and if you can run sharp routes (not necessarily that you're a good route runner, but at least your shifts won't be rounded out and slow). Is that the belief? If so, that speaks even moreso to your comment on how interesting it is that a bunch of receivers avoided it.

Did Edleman and Welker have great 3 cone times?
Edelman was 94th percentile...we didnt draft Welker. It's been a receiver evaluation staple for a while...just something that BB seems to favor.

simply, quickness is favored over straight line speed. makes sense with all the short to intermediate cross routes the Pats favor.

Brady's no longer here to compensate for Little Billy Notgoat's feckups...

So how bad do you think Belichick is? Worst Of All Time or just below average? Who would you rather have as coach right now? As GM? Who is worse than Belichick as a coach? As a GM?

Brady's no longer here to compensate for Little Billy Notgoat's feckups...

How about the offense's ability to compensate for Tommy's unwillingness to stand in the pocket in the face of pressure over the past 2+ years and inability to extend plays that break down because he has the agility and elusiveness of Herman Munster?

3AD70A7A-FE54-4200-8293-151423E58B06.jpeg

If the 3 cone drill was indicative of future NFL success, even Jordan Richards ran a great one.
Shoot, TJ Moe would be Wes Welker.
and BB drafted Jordan Richards...sorry to say but BB doesn't hold my opinion too high when it comes down to which evaluation metrics should be used. Actually Welker was slow a the 3 cone but he was before Brady started to really favor timing routes.

So what's the thought behind a fast 3 cone? And why might he prioritize that equally, if not over, a 40? Genuinely asking. I'll offer my little take and let me know if I'm off base:

A player can have a great 3 cone, but average 40 - and that's okay because not often does an NFL play stretch 40 yds. 3 cone shows burst, quickness, and if you can run sharp routes (not necessarily that you're a good route runner, but at least your shifts won't be rounded out and slow). Is that the belief? If so, that speaks even moreso to your comment on how interesting it is that a bunch of receivers avoided it.

Did Edleman and Welker have great 3 cone times?
They had excellent 3-cones.

Welker: 7.09
Edelman: 6.62

BB has often said that Deion Branch is the quickest WR he’s ever coached. He had a 6.71 3-cone.

I see from where you're coming, but you could isolate any measurable from the combine and plug it into that sentence. I think what he's implying is, that big picture wise, 3 cones are important to Bill given the system they run. I don't think it overrides any glaring issue in other drills, but he might be more interested in a good cone drill over a good 40.

I agree.
To me, the 3 cone equates to quickness and ability to change directions quickly.
I can see how that’s more of a game application than the 40yd dash.

and BB drafted Jordan Richards...sorry to say but BB doesn't hold my opinion too high when it comes down to which evaluation metrics should be used

Yeah which is indicative that some part of the scouting process ****ed up.

The issue is not where Richards was taken but how he got such a high internal grade in the first place. I don't really see an obvious issue with using the 3-cone as a more useful proxy for all the different shades of game speed. At least its more relevant than the 40yd time.

The issue is not where Richards was taken but how he got such a high internal grade in the first place. I don't really see an obvious issue with using the 3-cone as a more useful proxy for all the different shades of game speed. At least its more relevant than the 40yd time.
BB seemed to be on a high character kick for that pick...kinda like when McDaniels drafted that QB for Denver.

You just can’t use individual picks to analyze a philosophy. There are dozens of reasons why pick turn out good or bad and ultimately half the players are overrated and half are underrated. But the bottom line to any evaluation of draft prospects is the understanding that other than a very select few every player in the draft will stink if they don’t improve after being drafted.
Predicting that is a crapshoot.

Richards just got a one year contract extension for the Ravens after joining them in October of last year. If he makes the team again it will be his 6th year in the league. He's not as bad as folks here say, although I agree he was a disappointing pick and didn't contribute much when he was here.

It just wasn't a good fit for Richards...football that is.

So how bad do you think Belichick is? Worst Of All Time or just below average? Who would you rather have as coach right now? As GM? Who is worse than Belichick as a coach? As a GM?
Those questions can be answered in time.

Need to see what life's like without his security blanket.

BB seemed to be on a high character kick for that pick...kinda like when McDaniels drafted that QB for Denver.

Caserio had input on the Richards pick.

I'm sure that some GM's won't draft someone without a 40 year dash time. Well, Bill won't draft without a 3 cone time. Is this the factor that causes a player to be chosen. No, but it is part of the necessary data.

??? That chart must be a mistake, I hear that BB sucks as a GM. ;)
We've definitely had some stinkers but I don't understand how some think he's bad.

I swear it's hearing the same names over & over & people get disappointed if the NFL disagrees.

I gave them a B days ago and still feel the same way. Maybe B- but it wasn't a bad draft imo. Just not what people wanted.

welker wasn't drafted by BB and he was just killing the Pats whenever they played the Dolphins...so not a good comp for draft discussion

Actually, maybe it is.
How many opportunities did the Pats have to draft Welker in 2004?
They decided to go with PK Sam over the guy who would be TB12’s greatest security blanket over almost 1/4 of his career.
I am not faulting them, It just goes to show how flawed the entire scouting process is when a guy tearing up the Big12 and has all the attributes you look for in a Patriots receiver just goes unnoticed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye