PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft thoughts ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady's no longer here to compensate for Billy's feckups...

And Brady isn't going to have BB & Co.'s leadership or propensity to create amazing gameplans. Goes both ways. Folks, this goes both ways!

Brady and BB together? Unfair

Brady or BB alone? Still pretty unfair but not as indomitable.

Maybe 30 years ago, but not in the last 15. He is just one of a bunch of people making guesses.
He's definitely knowledgeable. He plays for the TV a lot imo. Doesn't care about being right anymore. He just wants to be right concerning who goes where. Not if they're actually good or not. I'm sure he has a bunch of cool stories. I get why people don't line him though.

I'm glad we didn't draft a wr. Honestly, we would have most likely embarrassed ourselves. In a draft filled with promising ones we would have found a way to pick the worst one. We are going dumpster diving for wr cuts this year lol.

Was a big fan of Kiper for a lot of years. As someone else mentioned, his own success was his undoing. Lot more competition out there and some that have passed him up for sure.

However, I’m still a fan of the guy and still amazed he can keep so many players tagged and Id’d in his memory bank. He isn’t the best anymore but he is one of the biggest pioneers of draft day weekend.

And Brady isn't going to have BB & Co.'s leadership or propensity to create amazing gameplans. Goes both ways. Folks, this goes both ways!

Brady and BB together? Unfair

Brady or BB alone? Still pretty unfair but not as indomitable.
So no other Coach can come up with amazing game plans?

Literally didn't say that haha. However, Belichick is noted for doing it on the regular, while having an insane depth of knowledge that even most coaches, both great and bad, all comment on as being above the rest. He's the undisputed best at taking away your best piece and attacking your weaknesses.

What other coach has one of their game plans in the Hall of Fame?

Belichick has two.

In Super Bowl XXV Bill Belichick’s defense held the high-powered Buffalo Bills' offense to 19 points. The game plan that he devised for the famous or infamous upset is now situated in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
His game plan against the Rams [Super Bowl LIII] is now held with his game plan against the Giants in Super Bowl XXV in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Both quotes from
Why Bill Belichick Is a Hall of Famer

careful, forum doesn’t want to hear that
Too bad some people can't wait until the trial is over to predict a verdict. Bill isn't perfect and neither was Brady so stop pretending he was.

Too bad some people can't wait until the trial is over to predict a verdict. Bill isn't perfect and neither was Brady so stop pretending he was.
Easy there buddy, you don’t want to start making too much sense around here..may get excommunicated from the PF church ;)

Not to mention his game plan against the Rams in 36SB
Not sure it’s in the HoF. His plan for the Giants against the Bills certainly made it, and immediate reaction to LIII was that shutting down the Rams offense was the best Super Bowl game plan ever. BTW I really enjoyed reading the next day takes on LIII when I was researching to see if that plan made the HoF. Those posting here that any coach could game plan should read some of them. Here’s a quote from one of those other coaches:
“It was a great game plan,” McVay said. “There is no other way to say it but I got out-coached.”
Article containing it was a good read:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ichick-outcoached-sean-mcvay-super-bowl-liii/

If we grade Belichick by what other drafters have done in recent memory, yeah, he's not bad. Not very good lately, but not bad. But Belichick's established a high level baseline for what to expect from him. Judging him by his own high standards, he's done poorly. I doubt Belichick would disagree as I think he holds himself to the same high standard. I doubt he says to himself, "Well, other drafts suck, too, I'm okay with it."

If we grade Belichick by what other drafters have done in recent memory, yeah, he's not bad. Not very good lately, but not bad. But Belichick's established a high level baseline for what to expect from him. Judging him by his own high standards, he's done poorly. I doubt Belichick would disagree as I think he holds himself to the same high standard. I doubt he says to himself, "Well, other drafts suck, too, I'm okay with it."
Belichick is not just a drafter, he is a TEAM BUILDER!! I would have liked to see Brady and BB win all those games and championships without a complementary supporting cast and BB and coaches, scouts, personnel staff put that team together.

interesting take on the receivers this draft...a bunch didn't do the 3 cone drill (a BB must have) and only one who did met the Pats minimum standard. The UDFA receivers are all fast at the 3 cone drill.

interesting take on the receivers this draft...a bunch didn't do the 3 cone drill (a BB must have) and only one who did met the Pats minimum standard. The UDFA receivers are all fast at the 3 cone drill.

If the 3 cone drill was indicative of future NFL success, even Jordan Richards ran a great one.
Shoot, TJ Moe would be Wes Welker.

So what's the thought behind a fast 3 cone? And why might he prioritize that equally, if not over, a 40? Genuinely asking. I'll offer my little take and let me know if I'm off base:

A player can have a great 3 cone, but average 40 - and that's okay because not often does an NFL play stretch 40 yds. 3 cone shows burst, quickness, and if you can run sharp routes (not necessarily that you're a good route runner, but at least your shifts won't be rounded out and slow). Is that the belief? If so, that speaks even moreso to your comment on how interesting it is that a bunch of receivers avoided it.

Did Edleman and Welker have great 3 cone times?

If the 3 cone drill was indicative of future NFL success, even Jordan Richards ran a great one.
Shoot, TJ Moe would be Wes Welker.

I see from where you're coming, but you could isolate any measurable from the combine and plug it into that sentence. I think what he's implying is, that big picture wise, 3 cones are important to Bill given the system they run. I don't think it overrides any glaring issue in other drills, but he might be more interested in a good cone drill over a good 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots