PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft review so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

I.M. Fletcher

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
So, I am gathering there is a lot of angst over the draft so far, but for me, it could not have gone any better.

the strength of this team has been its defense the last two years especially, but started to lose pieces, and have a lot of guys that are getting a little long in the tooth.

Here’s what I saw the Pats do

Kyle Dugger: lots and lots of jokes about the typical Pats safety pick, but they have never taken one like this. He’s actually almost a physical clone to Derwin James, with great ball skills, physicality, and extra value on special teams. Most get mad when we grab guys with ST value, but most often it’s coverage help. This guy can take it to the house.

One other name that he shares a lot of physical similarities to: Rodney Harrison.

so no, not a scrub pick. This guy can be an absolute star

Josh Uche/ Anfernee Jennings: how many years and how many words have been spent about BB unwilling or unable to draft speed off the edge? Be willing to go get off-ball LBs who can move up-down-side-to-side? Well, BB finally listened in a big big way. I have loved Jennings for a long time but never thought he would actually have a shot at him before the season. So strong, smart, physical and dependable in all the ways we need. Both a safe pick a home run for the team and defense. Uche is so unique in both his physical abilities and the ways he can be used on the field. Seeing him and Dugger move all over the defense like a Bishop and Knight setting up QBs for destruction is going to be awesome. Uche won’t come off the field often, and having someone like Mayo in his ear from day one is gonna be the gift that keeps on giving.

Asiasi/Keene: maybe you liked Trautman, maybe you liked Albert O, but BB went out and got guys that look and feel like Pats. Keene is a total psycho with a never ending motor who also tested incredibly well this year. I loved loved loved Kittle coming out, and Keene wins in a lot of the same ways. Asiasi has tremendous upside as well, with a sneaky feel for soft spots in coverage, and ability to break off runs after the catch.

Unlike any year I can remember, there isn’t a single guy we took that is topped out already, and they truly swung for the fences at positions that will help the team right away. This was BB recognizing both the need to get faster and younger, while also filling some big holes in the immediate and long term.

Some may have wanted a receiver or a QB, but those positions still have talent on the board, and none will make the impact that the players drafted will from day one, with the opportunity to be here a long time.

biggest transition year in two decades. Hoping 3/5 of these guys become solid contributors. The draft is the ultimate guessing game, so there are no guarantees.

I suspect that 5th rounder will be a K. Or maybe one of the multiple 6s.

It appears that the Ravens are having a hell of a draft.

It appears that the Ravens are having a hell of a draft.

Ravens are in that enviable position of having the main parts in place and only needing to fill secondary positions.

I am a lot more scared of then going forward than the Chiefs, but I’m probably alone on that.

Ravens are in that enviable position of having the main parts in place and only needing to fill secondary positions.

I am a lot more scared of then going forward than the Chiefs, but I’m probably alone on that.

The Ravens always seem to draft well. The Ozzie Newsome drafts are legendary.

The Ravens problem is Jackson. The whole system is built around him and his style. Running QBs get busted up in the NFL. Its just a matter of time before Jackson takes that one hit that he shouldnt have.

The Ravens problem is Jackson. The whole system is built around him and his style. Running QBs get busted up in the NFL. Its just a matter of time before Jackson takes that one hit that he shouldnt have.

Would trade their problem for ours. Think about how the Pats would look right now with a proven Jackson returning vs. an unproven Stidham. This draft would feel like completing a jigsaw puzzle, rather than being half way through one.

like my dog, it will be a short but intense ride.

At this point it's going to take a few years to catch up to where Baltimore and KC are at. I'm just happy with the influx of youth on the defense, particularly with Dugger, Jennings, and Uche. The offense is what I'm disappointed in so far. Would have liked a receiver early on.

At this point it's going to take a few years to catch up to where Baltimore and KC are at. I'm just happy with the influx of youth on the defense, particularly with Dugger, Jennings, and Uche. The offense is what I'm disappointed in so far. Would have liked a receiver early on.

I think that’s valid, but like Caserio said the other night, they only have so many picks.

I take some solace in the idea that they wanted to help a young QB by giving him the best possible defense they could, and some emergency outlets to dump off to. For Stidham, we get to see exactly what his strengths and weaknesses are before spending significant resources on skill sets he may not be able to take advantage of.

I don't know about years. The salary cap makes roster churn inevitable and drafting positions inverse to your level of success also do a good job to level the playing field.

They are ahead this year but next season we have projected 100m of cap space and a younger team. Tides can turn relatively fast.

I'm excited about these guys and their profiles. Even the tight ends are high upside types who were the only tight ends worth trying in this draft.

"Winning the draft" is always sort of a comical exercise. It's just a matter of taking as many guys the pundits rate highly as possible. In the end most of these guys won't do anything of note and some of the best players in the draft will be a 5th round defensive end you've never heard of who was panned for being too small. Just fun to enjoy the process and consider how these guys will fit into the team.

Would trade their problem for ours. Think about how the Pats would look right now with a proven Jackson returning vs. an unproven Stidham. This draft would feel like completing a jigsaw puzzle, rather than being half way through one.
Jackson is a time bomb.

Just watch what happens when his coaches try to have him throw the ball away rather than take off and play RB. Donovan McNabb was able to transition into a passing QB, but most dual threat QBs cant do it. Deshaun Watson has been busted up. Mahomes blew out his knee cap playing RB.

Caserio says the team will add a third QB to the roster, so it's a hint that they could be going QB today (or add one later through FA).

Even Ozzie, as great as he was, had a few really bad drafts.

I agree with you on Jackson. I’m not seeing a long career there.

Jackson is a time bomb.

Just watch what happens when his coaches try to have him throw the ball away rather than take off and play RB. Donovan McNabb was able to transition into a passing QB, but most dual threat QBs cant do it. Deshaun Watson has been busted up. Mahomes blew out his knee cap playing RB.

Wishful thinking - Wikipedia

there isn’t a single guy we took that is topped out already

Agree with Uche, Asiasi, and Keene.

You are not worried about Kyle Dugger's age? Nor the fact that he spent most of his career in D2? I think he will have to come in and contribute ASAP. Not a lot of development time left for him, especially with COVID-19 possibly delaying OTAs/TC. Wino was decent as a rookie, I hope Dugger can be as good as Wino was.

What about Anfernee Jennings? Jennings is not an elite athlete, I don't see a lot of potential there.

You are not worried about Kyle Dugger's age? Nor the fact that he spent most of his career in D2? I think he will have to come in and contribute ASAP. Not a lot of development time left for him, especially with COVID-19 possibly delaying OTAs/TC. Wino was decent as a rookie, I hope Dugger can be as good as Wino was.

What about Anfernee Jennings? Jennings is not an elite athlete, I don't see a lot of potential there.
Collins was pushing 24 when he was drafted. Big deal.

Jennings is not elite but already has a good understanding of the D and is athletic enough to play Week 1

The best comparison for Dugger development-wise might be Jamie Collins.

Freak athlete from a very uncertain program and also a little older. I think that is the hope here, that they can surround Dugger with great vets like we did with Collins, and see how he handles the transition.

Jennings to me has a lot of Jabaal Sheard. Strong on the edge, good length and intelligence. Enough athleticism to effect the game with power.

Very helpful Jeff Howe article in The Athletic posted at 2:00 AM this morning, about this draft class in the context of the last three, and how they are building the next gen team from them.

Just like a decade ago, Bill Belichick building Patriots'...

Here's a snipet:

Don’t write off the past two classes out of frustration. Chandler Jones and Dont’a Hightower had their issues as rookies in 2012, as did Jamie Collins, Logan Ryan and Duron Harmon in 2013, and James White couldn’t sniff the field in 2014. Trey Flowers missed almost all of his rookie season due to shoulder surgery in 2015, while Shaq Mason and Joe Thuney showed glimpses as rookies before really flourishing in subsequent years.

Very few players have foreshadowed their full stories in their first season or two in the league.

Very helpful Jeff Howe article in The Athletic posted at 2:00 AM this morning, about this draft class in the context of the last three, and how they are building the next gen team from them.

Just like a decade ago, Bill Belichick building Patriots'...

Here's a snipet:

Don’t write off the past two classes out of frustration. Chandler Jones and Dont’a Hightower had their issues as rookies in 2012, as did Jamie Collins, Logan Ryan and Duron Harmon in 2013, and James White couldn’t sniff the field in 2014. Trey Flowers missed almost all of his rookie season due to shoulder surgery in 2015, while Shaq Mason and Joe Thuney showed glimpses as rookies before really flourishing in subsequent years.

Very few players have foreshadowed their full stories in their first season or two in the league.

I'm still irrationally optimistic about Derek Rivers being able to contribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back