PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft day trade up values, and Jordan Davis

Not sure of the exact number but at present they only have 68 players under contract and only 6 draft picks.

I assume if they want "their guys" they'll trade up (Barmore as an example) and burn a pick but they'll have to sign a ton of vet FAs and UFAs to get to 90 for the camp roster.
I think UDFAs are going to be huge this year. Lots of good players will be available after the draft for sure

I think UDFAs are going to be huge this year. Lots of good players will be available after the draft for sure
Yep. I see them loading up on FA vets as well. Lotta 1 or 2 yr deals.

They normally sign a half dozen UDFA, minimum. Last year was an extreme aberration.

So Todd McShay has a pretty good breakdown of why Jordan Davis has become a bit polarizing in the draft. Here's the link. The whole thing is a great listen but Jordan Davis comes up with 44:25 left in the pod.

Not sure of the exact number but at present they only have 68 players under contract and only 6 draft picks.

I assume if they want "their guys" they'll trade up (Barmore as an example) and burn a pick but they'll have to sign a ton of vet FAs and UFAs to get to 90 for the camp roster.
Yes, ONLY 68 players.

Understand that 27 of the 32 teams have fewer then 70 players signed.

Nah, DT isn't that much of a need. Godchaux actually played pretty decent the 2nd half of the season, LBs were the issue so made him look worse. If they are going up to #11 I want to be for someone like Gardner, LLoyd or Wilson

Yep. I see them loading up on FA vets as well. Lotta 1 or 2 yr deals.
The compensatory process stops counting the Tuesday after the draft, May 2nd. So expect them to clear up more space and sign some guys leading up to that date but not inking them until after that date. There are a lot of good vet free agents still out there.

So Todd McShay has a pretty good breakdown of why Jordan Davis has become a bit polarizing in the draft. Here's the link. The whole thing is a great listen but Jordan Davis comes up with 44:25 left in the pod.

Real good listen, thank you! I hadn't heard about potential concerns about his weight fluctuating, though I suppose that's a common concern for the bigger guys. The line between their effective weight and too big can be real thin.

I used him as an example because he was so unique, but the thread was more an exercise to see what (in general) would need to be given up to move up for the right guy, whoever people think that might be. I think I'm in agreement with most though that trading back is more likely given the depth of the day two prospects and the fact they don't have a ton of picks this year. I imagine there's a shortlist of players of that could realistically be there at 21 who they would think are worth it there. If those guys are gone, they're moving back.

Scouting some D3 gems as we speak
I thought you said NE would trade down? Gonna need that 2nd rounder to grab the guy from Empire Beauty Academy who has never even seen football, but BB is convinced he has the perfect punter physique.

Bucky Brooks on NFL.com had a mock of the Pats passing on him for a DB. If Bill passes on a front 7 player like that for a DB....

oh no computer GIF

I say....stay PAT!

I predict Davis will fall all the way to #21 like our old buddy Wilfork 18 years ago!

Side note: If anyone is able to....stalk Davis and take photos of him eating 2-3 burgers and send it to PFT.

I say....stay PAT!

I predict Davis will fall all the way to #21 like our old buddy Wilfork 18 years ago!

Side note: If anyone is able to....stalk Davis and take photos of him eating 2-3 burgers and send it to PFT.
I've been saying this all draft cycle and think he'll be there too.

Nah, DT isn't that much of a need. Godchaux actually played pretty decent the 2nd half of the season, LBs were the issue so made him look worse. If they are going up to #11 I want to be for someone like Gardner, LLoyd or Wilson
Going to disagree here. DT is a pretty big need. Godchaux is a dece rotational piece but they really need a competent fatty who can clog running lanes and draw double teams so that Barmore can do his thing.

The pats need a run stuffer... Don't care what round its in... They need to hit on some blue chippers

Going to disagree here. DT is a pretty big need. Godchaux is a dece rotational piece but they really need a competent fatty who can clog running lanes and draw double teams so that Barmore can do his thing.
The run defense was awful

No way am I trading 2 or more valuable picks for him. If it was 20 years ago maybe, but not now. The NFL is a passing game now. A space eating D-tackle isn't worth that type of haul. We also have multiple holes to fill and need the picks to help fill them. At 21 I'm going the best possible player at WR, CB, LB, or OL or trading down for a later 1st rounder or earlier 2nd rounder + a 3rd.
I disagree on the 20 years ago part, I would argue it is in fact even more important now. 20 years ago you had beefier LBs, and safety’s dropping down into the box making it a numbers game with gang tackling, more then your guys beating theirs. Now that Nickle is the base defense played 95+% of the time you are basically asking 3 guys, (2) DTs and a MLB to shut down the run game so everyone else can think pass first. That monster that demands double teams to keep the LB clean adds so much and this defense has been missing it since Alan Branch was good 8 years ago.

I do agree there are a lot of holes that still need filling and as much as I love Davis and think he would be game changing on this defense I would not trade higher then 16 because he is a risk, all prospects are. I won’t cry if they trade down for an extra second and pick up a CB and a LB with sideline to sideline speed. This defense needs some youth and speed as well as some beef upfront.

Amen brother!

Guy was gassed after a dozen plays and godchaux plays on skates!

There are a good half dozen players in this draft that could be upgrades over either one of them!

Pats have 7 draft picks. Maybe you forgot we have the Bucs 5th round pick due to the Shaq Mason trade. We have one pick in every round, and our pick in the 5th is from the Bucs, and the 7th is from the Rams so I think it is the Mr. Irrelevant pick.

Reminds me of Trey Nixon. We signed him to a futures contract in Jan '22. Is he going to be any good?

I've been saying this all draft cycle and think he'll be there too.
Who do you think LAC go with at 17? They kinda worry me in regards to Davis with their poor run defense. OT to pair opposite Slater?

Pats have 7 draft picks. Maybe you forgot we have the Bucs 5th round pick due to the Shaq Mason trade. We have one pick in every round, and our pick in the 5th is from the Bucs, and the 7th is from the Rams so I think it is the Mr. Irrelevant pick.

Reminds me of Trey Nixon. We signed him to a futures contract in Jan '22. Is he going to be any good?
I had forgotten about the pick for Sony.

Trey Nixon? Who knows.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back