PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft a power RB? Re-sign Blount? Get Foster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully they'll address it though the draft - would be great to see them draft an all purpose back or pure runner to compliment Dion. Blount can be resigned for a team-friendly deal but his play last season was uninspiring to say the least. Strange that his numbers don't look so bad on paper though.

yeah there are some people saying he was on pace for 1000 yards but for me it's a case where the stats don't tell the whole story. To be honest we didn't have a running game in 2014 either, Brady threw the ball in 99% of the offensive snaps against the Ravens and Seattle.

we need some balance. Derrick Henry looks like a nice prospect at RB but will he drop to our pick in round 2? We might need to move up but would it be worth it? I'm more concerned with nabbing a premier OL for Dante to mold.

yeah there are some people saying he was on pace for 1000 yards but for me it's a case where the stats don't tell the whole story. To be honest we didn't have a running game in 2014 either, Brady threw the ball in 99% of the offensive snaps against the Ravens and Seattle.

And that obviously had a low likelihood of happening again, let alone two years in a row.

I think it goes a bit unnoticed just how insanely lucky we were to come back from THREE double digit deficits in the postseason. Having an acceptable running game could've helped to prevent that, even though we're all very happy with how it ultimately worked out.

And that obviously had a low likelihood of happening again, let alone two years in a row.

I think it goes a bit unnoticed just how insanely lucky we were to come back from THREE double digit deficits in the postseason. Having an acceptable running game could've helped to prevent that, even though we're all very happy with how it ultimately worked out.

Exactly, you don't want that to happen, you need balance even with a GOAT QB and TE. I've been saying, in those endless WR discussions (that people say deep threat is overrated, that we don't need, etc..) that even though we have been very close a couple times and are always in the SB discussion, that in order for us to win another SB after 10 years we needed an outstanding performance by our QB and the 4 receivers all of them playing at their best and being very clutch, and even with that we had a few bounces in our way. Laffel had the best year of his career playing like this middle/deep threat and it was a fundamental piece in that run. Every other year teams shut down the middle of the field and we couldn't score more than 20 points which is a 1st half achievement during the regular season.

So I'm not taking anything away from that team but the stars were aligned for us to win and we didn't wasted the chance like the Panthers did this year. It's always difficult to win a SB but those comebacks against those very good teams are almost an impossible task, unless you have the GOAT goating big time. We can't predict the future or how could have been in the past but in theory a decent running game would make that job easier, and the middle/deep threat helps to avoid being so predictable when calling the plays, it gives other teams another problem to solve.

we need some balance. Derrick Henry looks like a nice prospect at RB but will he drop to our pick in round 2? We might need to move up but would it be worth it? I'm more concerned with nabbing a premier OL for Dante to mold.

I'm usually the guy with the Alabama players as binkies (Tuscaloosa is about an hour up the road from me) but believe it or not I'm not sure if Henry fits the Patriots. I think he will be successful somewhere, he has a great attitude, he is a workaholic (in super good shape), tough as nails. I think he probably (arguably) deserved the Heisman.

But he isn't really a guy that runs low and never loses yards. He has an upright running style, and it takes him a few steps to get up a head of steam, and if he got hit before that head of steam he would often get stood up at the line or lose yards more often than you would think.

The reason he won the Heisman is that Alabama gave him ball for 395 freaking carries last year. Usually at some point he would break through the line and then the poor defensive backs saw this 242 pound pile of muscle running over, through, and past them. Once he got his head of steam up, he is really fast, and he could outrun many of the DB's. And with all of the carries he got per game (he seemingly never got tired, he was in phenomenal shape), eventually he often completely battered the defense into submission.

He would be great on a ball control offense that lets him batter the defense. I'm not sure if the Patriots are that organization.

I'm usually the guy with the Alabama players as binkies (Tuscaloosa is about an hour up the road from me) but believe it or not I'm not sure if Henry fits the Patriots. I think he will be successful somewhere, he has a great attitude, he is a workaholic (in super good shape), tough as nails. I think he probably (arguably) deserved the Heisman.

But he isn't really a guy that runs low and never loses yards. He has an upright running style, and it takes him a few steps to get up a head of steam, and if he got hit before that head of steam he would often get stood up at the line or lose yards more often than you would think.

The reason he won the Heisman is that Alabama gave him ball for 395 freaking carries last year. Usually at some point he would break through the line and then the poor defensive backs saw this 242 pound pile of muscle running over, through, and past them. Once he got his head of steam up, he is really fast, and he could outrun many of the DB's. And with all of the carries he got per game (he seemingly never got tired, he was in phenomenal shape), eventually he often completely battered the defense into submission.

He would be great on a ball control offense that lets him batter the defense. I'm not sure if the Patriots are that organization.

Of course, with my record of prediction, this probably means that the Patriots will trade up and draft Henry, they will spread out the TE's and WR's wide, and Henry will run for 3000 yards. :cool:

Manx tell me that Dixon is a fumbler.

I believe that he fumbled either 13 or 14 total times during his four year career, so he's averaging about 3.25 to 3.50 fumbles per season. It's definitely a number that will keep him from going higher, just like an injury concern or character concern.

That said, he's also averaged almost 22 touchdowns per year over his four years, and he's hit 26, 28, and 28 in three of those years, which certainly makes him a compelling prospect to consider.

39.9 – Kenyan Drake, Alabama
43.3 – Alex Collins, Arkansas
44.0 – Daniel Lasco, California
45.6 – C.J. Prosise, Notre Dame
61.2 – Josh Ferguson, Illinois
61.6 – Wendell Smallwood, West Virginia
63.5 – Kenneth Dixon, Louisiana Tech
63.8 – Tre Madden, USC
71.1 – Devontae Booker, Utah
72.0 – Jonathan Williams, Arkansas
104.1 – DeAndre Washington, Texas Tech
111.8 – Jordan Howard, Indiana
123.0 – Tyler Ervin, San Jose State
123.8 – Derrick Henry, Alabama
128.8 – Tra Carson, Texas A&M
138.5 – Keith Marshall, Georgia
140.4 – Paul Perkins, UCLA
162.5 – Ezekiel Elliott, Ohio State
169.7 – Aaron Green, TCU
Kelvin Taylor, Florida (no fumbles in college)

2016 NFL Draft: Closer look at running back fumble rates, ball security

I posted this in the draft forum, but I think it's relevant here too.

'I was listening to the 4th & 2 podcast and they made the good point that the addition of Bennett at TE really helps with with the hurry up offense because if the defense goes pass heavy, Gronk and Bennett can be lined up inline and we can just run the ball and if the defense goes linebacker heavy then Gronk and/or Bennett can line up outside and be isolated on a linebacker.

That's fairly straightforward but it occured to me that someone else would be useful in a hurry up offense. A 220lb RB that runs sub 4.5 and used to play WR. Hello CJ Prosise. Now he needs to be better at running inside which I think is his biggest weakness but if he can fix that, it will be almost impossible for a defense to determine whether an offense with Gronk, Bennett or Prosise is going to run or pass, particularly if they can't substitute. Lewis, of course, offers a similar advantage but where Prosise helps is that he can develop the ability to run inside more consistently at his size."

Everyone is so interested in Henry. I personally don't trust Alabama RB's. The numbers seem stacked that they largely underachieve at the NFL level in recent seasons.

39.9 – Kenyan Drake, Alabama
43.3 – Alex Collins, Arkansas
44.0 – Daniel Lasco, California
45.6 – C.J. Prosise, Notre Dame
61.2 – Josh Ferguson, Illinois
61.6 – Wendell Smallwood, West Virginia
63.5 – Kenneth Dixon, Louisiana Tech
63.8 – Tre Madden, USC
71.1 – Devontae Booker, Utah
72.0 – Jonathan Williams, Arkansas
104.1 – DeAndre Washington, Texas Tech
111.8 – Jordan Howard, Indiana
123.0 – Tyler Ervin, San Jose State
123.8 – Derrick Henry, Alabama
128.8 – Tra Carson, Texas A&M
138.5 – Keith Marshall, Georgia
140.4 – Paul Perkins, UCLA
162.5 – Ezekiel Elliott, Ohio State
169.7 – Aaron Green, TCU
Kelvin Taylor, Florida (no fumbles in college)

2016 NFL Draft: Closer look at running back fumble rates, ball security

I've been saying for about a year or so that Zeke Elliot is clearly the best RB prospect (all around) that we've seen in awhile, and I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see him taken in the top 7-8 picks. The kid is the real deal in my opinion.

Actually, if I'm DAL and I'm seriously not taking a QB (not sure if I believe them), I would give Elliot strong consideration at #4. I realize that sounds a bit crazy.

I've been saying for about a year or so that Zeke Elliot is clearly the best RB prospect (all around) that we've seen in awhile, and I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see him taken in the top 7-8 picks. The kid is the real deal in my opinion.

Actually, if I'm DAL and I'm seriously not taking a QB (not sure if I believe them), I would give Elliot strong consideration at #4. I realize that sounds a bit crazy.

Dallas are certainly a possibility as are the Eagles. I marginally prefer Gurley as a runner but Elliot is certainly the more complete back.

Everyone is so interested in Henry. I personally don't trust Alabama RB's. The numbers seem stacked that they largely underachieve at the NFL level in recent seasons.

I disagree with Bama RB's. The only clear bust was Trent Richardson. Yeldon first year he looked fine, Lacy minus one year has been great for GB, and Ingram when given the chance in NOLA been good. Just look at some of the RB's hes shared carries with in his career there...

Blount is a massive running back who ran upright..... Got coached to run at a lower pad level here and became extremely effective (even brought the boomstick on a few occasions).

Last year, be it injury/coaching/no trust in oline/lazyness or a comibination of all 4 it seems as if he resorted back to running tall again and it hurt us/him on a few occasions.

Henry does run upright but he can be coached to drop the pad level and drive, just like Blount and become even More effective.

Personally I think Henry is a great fit here, great pass protection, team first attitude , workout warrior and has a championship pedigree. He would need a few coaching points to keep growing as a player with the big boys.

I do understand the concerns , ESP looking at luck of bama backs recently (injuries = wear and tear fear, low football IQ= fear that they only look good due to Bamas Online (mostly T.Rich) , Weight issues = not committed). The opposition of drafting Henry is not unwarranted.

Jordan Howard is another player who would be great here, if we are to start banging between the tackles.

Howard and Marshall would make alot of sense.
The potential of Marshall and the hard running style of Howard.
Would also like to see Blount resigned and show last year didnt end him.

Blount is a massive running back who ran upright..... Got coached to run at a lower pad level here and became extremely effective (even brought the boomstick on a few occasions).

Last year, be it injury/coaching/no trust in oline/lazyness or a comibination of all 4 it seems as if he resorted back to running tall again and it hurt us/him on a few occasions.

Henry does run upright but he can be coached to drop the pad level and drive, just like Blount and become even More effective.

Personally I think Henry is a great fit here, great pass protection, team first attitude , workout warrior and has a championship pedigree. He would need a few coaching points to keep growing as a player with the big boys.

I do understand the concerns , ESP looking at luck of bama backs recently (injuries = wear and tear fear, low football IQ= fear that they only look good due to Bamas Online (mostly T.Rich) , Weight issues = not committed). The opposition of drafting Henry is not unwarranted.

Jordan Howard is another player who would be great here, if we are to start banging between the tackles.

It is interesting that you compare Henry to Blount (I've done the same), they are similar in that they are both large running backs that run upright. They both take some time to get up to speed, but once they break through the line they can do damage.

One difference is that Henry is three inches taller than Blount, so it may be difficult for him to run low. However, he is much tougher and stronger (and faster, I think) than Blount. Plus, he has a great attitude, keeps himself in unbelievably shape, etc. Henry can really batter the defense (particularly the hapless defensive backs) in a way that Blount can't.

I have questioned if he is a fit for the Patriots (I think he would be better in a ball control offense), but I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see him be a successful NFL running back.

It is interesting that you compare Henry to Blount (I've done the same), they are similar in that they are both large running backs that run upright. They both take some time to get up to speed, but once they break through the line they can do damage.

One difference is that Henry is three inches taller than Blount, so it may be difficult for him to run low. However, he is much tougher and stronger (and faster, I think) than Blount. Plus, he has a great attitude, keeps himself in unbelievably shape, etc. Henry can really batter the defense (particularly the hapless defensive backs) in a way that Blount can't.

I have questioned if he is a fit for the Patriots (I think he would be better in a ball control offense), but I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see him be a successful NFL running back.

Being tall is ok. There have been a number of RBs who were over 6ft who have had excellent careers. Once specifically is Ottis Anderson. He was a hammer RB for the G-men back when BB was DC. He was 6-2 or 6-3. I forget.

I think Eric ****erson was pretty tall as well. 6-2 or 6-3ish as well.

Being tall is ok. There have been a number of RBs who were over 6ft who have had excellent careers. Once specifically is Ottis Anderson. He was a hammer RB for the G-men back when BB was DC. He was 6-2 or 6-3. I forget.

I think Eric ****erson was pretty tall as well. 6-2 or 6-3ish as well.

I've compared him to Blount all along. To me he's just a younger, stronger, tougher Blount with more upside at this point. Also another tall RB who wasn't half bad was Eddie George.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes