PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft 2013 - 2022: 1st and 2nd Round

Main reason we are where we are? None other than our top picks the last decade. Not including 2023 as it’s not fair to grade yet, although Gonzalez looks like he’ll be good.

Grading: Bust, JAG, Good Starter, All Pro

Rd 1 - no pick
Rd 2 - J. Collins: Good starter - kinda in between JAG and good starter as he was only good for a few years
Rd 2 - A. Dobson: BUST

Rd 1 - D. Easley: BUST
Rd 2 - Jimmy G: JAG - close to good starter but not quite

Rd 1 - M. Brown: BUST
Rd 2 - J. Richards: BUST

Rd 1 - No pick
Rd 2 - C. Jones: BUST

No Rd 1 or 2 picks

Rd 1 - I. Wynn: JAG
Rd 1 - S. Michael: JAG
Rd 2 - D. Dawson: BUST

Rd 1 - N. Harry: BUST
Rd 2 - J. Williams: BUST

Rd 1 - No pick
Rd 2 - K.Dugger: Good player
Rd 2 - J. Uche: JAG

Rd 1 - M.Jones: JAG
Rd 2 - C. Barmore: Good player

Rd 1 - C.Strange: JAG
Rd 2 - T. Thornton: BUST

So for a decade at the top of the draft we have no All Pros, a few good players, and a bunch of JAGS and BUSTS. Bill’s drafting is the main reason we suck.
Lets balance this out.

Too much emphasis on drafts as it's 1/4rd of how teams acquire talent with trades, FA and UFAs the other but that is another disussion. With that said that is the pool in which the most players are acquired.

The NEP always picked at the bottom of drafts which history tells us 70% or more do not become starters and pro careers are less than 5 years.

The rule of thumb is a good draft is when a team lands two starters and two reserves.

I disagree on some of your assessments like Collins and others. Collins was damn good in his prime.

2013- Harmon, Collins, Ryan
2014- Jimmy, Sweet Feet, Fleming (Malcolm UFA)
2015-Brown, Flowers, Mason, Cardona (shoulda kept Roberts)
2016- Thuney, Brissett, Mitchell, KGH, Roberts, Karras
2017-Wise
2018- Wynn, Sony, Bentley, Berrios (JC UFA)
2019- Harris, Bailey
2020- Dugger, Jennings, Onwenu
2021- Mac, Barmore, Rham
2022- Strange, Jack Jones, Marcus Jones
2023- TBD but a handful of contributors.....such as Sow, Pop, Baringer, Gonzo..

Looking at this objectively they've drafted some decent players who have had key roles on Super Bowl teams but clearly have not hit on elite talent because they haven't been in the position to draft it.

To your point the 1st and 2nd rounders have to at least be solid, above-average players who become long-term players. That has not happened.

I think Hightower is the last first round draft pick to get a second contract with the Pats. That’s some awful drafting!!!
pretty sure that was duron Harmon who was the last guy to get a second contract believe it or not...

This sums up why the dynasty ended prematurely and the position they are in now.

Prematurely?

Did we all expect that the Belichick-Brady dynasty wouldn't end as soon as Brady walked out the door.

We had the GOAT. We lost the GOAT.

The dynasty should have continued? How bad did it get?

We almost got to the playoffs with the worst QB in the league.
We got to the playoffs with the worst QB in the league (or so we say now).
We almost got to the playoffs with the worst QB in the league.

For most teams in the league, this is NOT awful. And, if our first round QB turned out better, we probably would have been in the playoffs all three times.
==========
BUT, no the dynasty didn't continue. And starting over, and over, over again until we draft another Brady or even a Stroud may not happen for a decade, unless we get lucky. And then, being competitive and occasionally being in the playoffs game may be good thing, not a disaster.

The difference between being competitive and having a dynast type team doesn't depend on the owner, the GM, the draft or the coach.. Of course they help. What is critical is a top QB, and the ability to get one and develop him into a winner
.=================
Make no mistake, I do think that Belichick should go. Where we disagree is perspective. I will NOT be disappointed with a team that reguarly competes for the playoffs. I will be disappointed if we have a top QB and can't win, like the bills and the chargers.

Parcells was a better draft guru.
Belichick in his shoes would have probably picked Notre Dame’s Rick Mirer for the number one pick because of the interview.

Meanwhile, Parcells scoured every snap of both he and Drew Bledsoe on tape. The way it should be.

Lets balance this out.

Too much emphasis on drafts as it's 1/4rd of how teams acquire talent with trades, FA and UFAs the other but that is another disussion. With that said that is the pool in which the most players are acquired.

The NEP always picked at the bottom of drafts which history tells us 70% or more do not become starters and pro careers are less than 5 years.

The rule of thumb is a good draft is when a team lands two starters and two reserves.

I disagree on some of your assessments like Collins and others. Collins was damn good in his prime.

2017-Wise
2019- Harris, Bailey
2021- Mac, Barmore, Rham

Looking at this objectively they've drafted some decent players who have had key roles on Super Bowl teams but clearly have not hit on elite talent because they haven't been in the position to draft it.

To your point the 1st and 2nd rounders have to at least be solid, above-average players who become long-term players. That has not happened.
2013 we took Aaron Dropson over Keenan Allen.

2018 we took Sony Michel over Nick Chubb.

2019 we took Harry over AJ Brown, Deebo Samuel and DK Metcalf

So no its not the draft positions it was the players taken.

I just went off memory for those 3 quick examples of Belicheck's failures at drafting WR alone

I just went off memory for those 3 quick examples of Belicheck's failures at drafting WR alone
Christ. You can say that about every team who also passed on those players.

Christ. You can say that about every team who also passed on those players.
Yes but you can't claim the reason Belicheck has failed at drafting elite talent is because of the draft position either.

Yes it's more difficult to find great players in later rounds but it's certainly not impossible

Yes but you can't claim the reason Belicheck has failed at drafting elite talent is because of the draft position either.

Yes it's more difficult to find great players in later rounds but it's certainly not impossible
Yes I can because a) draft position and the likelihood of career success are related and b) Holding BB to the standard he should be castrated because he missed on drafting all-pros in the 2nd and 4th round is unrealistic.

With the exception of Sony what BB the GM should be fired for is not even drafting contributing players who start or are top reserves.

We passed on Puka Nacua Four times on Day 3 case and point.

Yes I can because a) draft position and the likelihood of career success are related and b) Holding BB to the standard he should be castrated because he missed on drafting all-pros in the 2nd and 4th round is unrealistic.

With the exception of Sony what BB the GM should be fired for is not even drafting contributing players who start or are top reserves.
Bad drafts are not uncommon, but we are going on a decade of unremarkable drafts. We are bottom of the barrel on offensive talent. This can’t continue.

Bill sucks at drafting in rounds 1-3, he somehow makes up for it overall in the later rounds and with UDFA signings. Its mind boggling how you can find diamonds in the rough in later rounds but miss the obvious diamonds in the early rounds. Hopefully they tank the rest of the season, we get a STRONG armed QB that will develop into someone that scares teams, and we can see some fireworks around here again.

Bad drafts are not uncommon, but we are going on a decade of unremarkable drafts. We are bottom of the barrel on offensive talent. This can’t continue.
Agree it's a big problem.

I'm not asking for castration unless you are referring to a figurative castration of removing Bill's GM duties going forward, in which case I would be on board with that lol.

I'd even be fine with him staying on as HC in that scenario

I'm not asking for castration unless you are referring to a figurative castration of removing Bill's GM duties going forward, in which case I would be on board with that lol.
Yea thats what I meant.
I'd even be fine with him staying on as HC in that scenario
Nope.

Bill needs to go.

Thornton and joejuan also say hello

This sums up why the dynasty ended prematurely and the position they are in now.

Lots of terrible draft and personnel decisions.

Correction though on Jamie Collins. He was an All Pro in 2015. He was really good that year. What a wasted season that was.
Season completely turned in Denver. Undefeated and up on the Broncos. Crowd quiet. Fumbled return leads to Broncos momentum. Team never looked the same after that.

ST's fiasco that led the Eagles back into the game. And ultimately a win.

Allowing the Jets to take the ball first in Overtime and go right down the field and win the game. Last time they beat the Patriots.

Not valuing HFA throughout by running the corpse of Stephen Jackson in Miami. Afc title game would have been in NE. Instead, crowd noisis plays a huge role in loss in Denver.

If any one of these things does not happen, I have a hard time believing the corpse of Peyton Manning and no crowd behind them wins in NE. Carolina would have been a different story. Scrambling QB against an injured D. Ron Rivera seemed to have the Patriots number for whatever reason. Idk how that shakes out.

Yea thats what I meant.

Nope.

Bill needs to go.
Sadly that is the case. Its the end of era.

I do hope that Bill can land in a great spot like Brady did so he can finish on a strong note and maybe even win another ship.

Chargers seem like a great spot that just needs a HC.

On the plus side, when Bill is gone we can stop hearing about Bill vs Brady and instead we can just enjoy everything they accomplished together

Lets balance this out.

2017-Wise
2019- Harris, Bailey
2021- Mac, Barmore, Rham

Thuney is the best of that bunch.

pretty sure that was duron Harmon who was the last guy to get a second contract believe it or not...
Harmon was not a first round pick

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back