PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dont'a Hightower on the trade block?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can accomplish that with less snaps in what is essentially the second most useless preseason game.

Edelman, HT and Rivers all saw significant playing time vs Washington. It’s clear Bill wants to get them acclimated to playing football again.

BB does things in different ways as we all know..some make sense..others don't

Jason McCourty should have been playing in that game at least a few snaps..but didn't. It's clear that Rowe is in front of him however
That’s one that doesn’t make sense. Luckily Hightower didn’t pointlessly injure himself even though he had more chances to do so with an increased snap count in a pointless preseason game.

Edelman, HT and Rivers all saw significant playing time vs Washington. It’s clear Bill wants to get them acclimated to playing football again.
Yes. And you can accomplish that throughout the course of the entire preseason. There are a total of four games.

Yes. And you can accomplish that throughout the course of the entire preseason. There are a total of four games.

It’s really just 3 games though. No one of importance plays in the 4th preseason game. I probably would have played all 3 guys a little less against Washington and slowly increase their snap count against Philly and Carolina. But I can see what Bill is doing, and it has nothing (I hope) to do with HT being on the trade block.

It’s really just 3 games though. No one of importance plays in the 4th preseason game. I probably would have played all 3 guys a little less against Washington and slowly increase their snap count against Philly and Carolina. But I can see what Bill is doing, and it has nothing (I hope) to do with HT being on the trade block.

You don't want to play your Best and Most Fragile Defensive Player too much in a meaningless Games.

Last edited:
And this was the first one back from a season-ending injury. You start them slow and then increase their reps in weeks two and three. Particularly at a position that quickly becomes among the league’s worst if you lose him.

This TC has been exceptionally light, playing more in preseason kind of gets the players into a groove.

This TC has been exceptionally light, playing more in preseason kind of gets the players into a groove.

I also subjects important players at paper thin positions to pointless injuries as they're playing against guys who will be working for Popeye's in five weeks that are treating this as their Super Bowl. This was a pointless contest for a player as important as Hightower to see those kinds of snaps in and the team is fortunate it didn't bite them in the ass.

Sounds to me like Troy Brown is auditioning for ESPN or NFLN. If he says "they hate their coach," he's on his way to the big time!

Brown Si No Si.jpg

I also subjects important players at paper thin positions to pointless injuries as they're playing against guys who will be working for Popeye's in five weeks that are treating this as their Super Bowl. This was a pointless contest for a player as important as Hightower to see those kinds of snaps in and the team is fortunate it didn't bite them in the ass.

Players get hurt or they don't get hurt. They can get hurt in practice, they can get hurt getting out of bed. You can't play scared.

You don't want to play your Best and Most Fragile Defensive Player too much in meaningless Games.
Except they aren’t meaningless unless you are the only person to observe the Belichick era of the Patriots who fails to realize winning is about preparation

Last edited by a moderator:
Players get hurt or they don't get hurt. They can get hurt in practice, they can get hurt getting out of bed. You can't play scared.

Nobody is suggesting to play scared. Hell, nobody is even suggesting that he doesn't play at all. What people are suggesting is to not subject him to more snaps than he needs to be subjected to in his first action back, especially when:

1. The game is mostly meaningless.
  2. The position is as thin as it is.
  3. The longer he's in there, the more he's playing against scrubs treating this as if it's the Super Bowl.
Two of those are recipes for injury to a star player that you can't afford to get injured. One of them is just a good reason not to play him more snaps than he needs to. This really isn't that difficult to understand. But if you don't want to take my word for it, then you're more than welcome to try to explain why Brady didn't play at all without using any of the above three as possible reasons.

Last edited:
The preparation angle is relavent but everyone knows Hightower is making the team, ergo, losing him or brady like Edelman last year would be disastrous. We need to use that quantum physics theory where you don’t speak it into existence

The preparation angle is relavent but everyone knows Hightower is making the team, ergo, losing him or brady like Edelman last year would be disastrous. We need to use that quantum physics theory where you don’t speak it into existence
Preparation is not about making the team it’s about getting ready to play week 1

Except they aren’t meaningless unless you are the only person to observe the Belichick era of the Patriots who fails to realize winning is about perpetration.
Think you mean penetration.

After the decision to bench Butler, nothing would surprise me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft