PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Donald Jones on Buffalo radio had some interesting things to say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets not forget how Brady ****ed up the clock before halftime by running around with the ball letting the time be drained.

At least it gave us the great "mini controversy" of him "almost taking out Ed Reed" with his legs.
Good point. I forgot about that. I'm guessing they may have been in field goal range when he did this? I'll have to look it up on YouTube and see that again.

If I recall correctly, that 2012 Patriots team featured the no huddle offense and were known for the quick snap; I think they set a record for most offensive plays at the time. I remember not liking the offense, primarily because (a) Ridley was their feature back and was incredibly inconsistent, including a series of fumbles, and (b) Lloyd was their featured receiver, and they tried to force it to him constantly despite him being unable to run routes correctly, get separation, or get any YAC.
If a 1,263 yard season and 12 rushing TD's with almost averaging 4.5 per carry is inconsistent, then you have pretty high expectations for a RB. In addition, he was the 3rd leading rusher in the AFC that year behind Arian Foster and Jamal Charles. Ridley provided a huge boost to the Pats offense in 2012 which they sorely lacked since Corey Dillon. While I agree he fumbled at the worst times, he was still the 7th leading rusher in the NFL that year and was robbed a pro bowl birth. He was a beast that year.

I agree about Llyod. He was not a #1 WR and was the king of catching the ball and falling to the ground. He was a good free agent acquisition though.

Last edited:
Good point. I forgot about that. I'm guessing they may have been in field goal range when he did this? I'll have to look it up on YouTube and see that again.

We were on the Raven's 10 yard line with 26 seconds left and a timeout left on first down. And Brady instead of throwing the ball away started to run around and then just slide to the ground. Then he didnt call for a TO (neither did the bench) but instead Brady tried to line everyone up quickly preserving the TO but ended up using it with 4 secs on the clock.

I have no clue what went through the heads of Brady, McDaniels or BB during that sequence but it was a killer.

I put the timecode into the link (58m 2 seconds in).

We were on the Raven's 10 yard line with 26 seconds left and a timeout left on first down. And Brady instead of throwing the ball away started to run around and then just slide to the ground. Then he didnt call for a TO (neither did the bench) but instead Brady tried to line everyone up quickly preserving the TO but ended up using it with 4 secs on the clock.

I have no clue what went through the heads of Brady, McDaniels or BB during that sequence but it was a killer.

I put the timecode into the link (58m 2 seconds in).
Thanks for that. At least they came away with a field goal but damn that was frustrating to watch. Brady for a second though he was Michael Vick and then quickly realized "oh sh**, I'm not going to make it". That's one of those moments like in last years Buffalo game where McDaniels says to Brady "He (Cooks) was wide open". That was an Andy Reid special right there with clock management.

Also, just from watching from that minute of the game, is there a more annoying coach than John Harbaugh? He is the Bill Cowher of today's NFL - complaining about everything.

Watching other parts of the game and notice the Ravens OT's were starting early a lot and somehow are able to line up way behind the center.

Also, just from watching from that minute of the game, is there a more annoying coach than John Harbaugh? He is the Bill Cowher of today's NFL - complaining about everything.

Ever since Curran shared in one of last offseason's QuickSlant podcasts that Harbaugh and his staff where just flipping the middle finger repeatedly during the 2014 playoff game with the trick formations all I can say is **** him.

Ref the comments on Welker’s route running, in the middle of reading Edelman’s ‘Relentless’ and funnily enough it included the following passage:-

"there were still plenty of things I was getting MF’ed for, mainly the times I improvised to get open. When it worked and I caught the ball, nobody would notice that I’d mangled the entire construct and concept of the play. That’s not team football, though, and our wide receivers coach, Chad O’Shea, told me a few times, “Hey, what are you doing? You can’t do whatever you want to get open out there.”

I hate to say it, but I learned that stuff from Welker. Sometimes it wasn’t drawn up the way Welker did it, but when he got a twenty-yard gain on third down, no one was complaining. You can’t do it too much, but being a football player, you sometimes have to make a play and you instinctively do something. But the coaches hate it because it just invites confusion."

All these stories about the inner working on the Patriots and airing the internal drama.

This can only lead me to one conclusion. BB has upset Ernie Adams... :D

To be fair, he wasn't doing it to air any internal drama. He has a daily show, and these were just offhand comments. They were discussing the draft, route running, QBs, systems, etc.

Are you talking about the 2013 AFCCG 28-13 loss at home to BAL? The one with strong winds, where Ridley got knocked out?

If so, they were inside of what would normally have been FG range (inside the 35) seven different times and only came away with 13 points, although the wind surely had something to do with that.

Are you talking about the 2013 AFCCG 28-13 loss at home to BAL? The one with strong winds, where Ridley got knocked out?

If so, they were inside of what would normally have been FG range (inside the 35) seven different times and only came away with 13 points, although the wind surely had something to do with that.
Yes, that's the game we are talking about. The Pats were doing a good job moving the ball on the Ravens but they just couldn't convert in the redzone.

I think that hit on Ridley did a number on his confidence. It carried over into the opening day game in 2013 season against Buffalo where he took another hit and lost the football which Buffalo scored a TD. He was off to a promising career but he was never the same after those hits.

Yes, that's the game we are talking about. The Pats were doing a good job moving the ball on the Ravens but they just couldn't convert in the redzone.

I think that hit on Ridley did a number on his confidence. It carried over into the opening day game in 2013 season against Buffalo where he took another hit and lost the football which Buffalo scored a TD. He was off to a promising career but he was never the same after those hits.
I should’ve referred to it as the 2012 AFCCG, since we lost at DEN in the 2013 AFCCG (and 2015).

Watching the game again, I understand now why Welker dropped that momentum crushing pass in the 3rd quarter. He took a blow to the head a few plays earlier by Bernard Pollard which resulted in a 15 yard penalty. A few plays later, Welker had to twist his body around to catch the ball and he looked like he was bracing for a hit which resulted in the drop. If Brady would've lead him into it, it wouldn't been a 1st down inside the 20. Damn.

A very close game there once again!

Watching the game again, I understand now why Welker dropped that momentum crushing pass in the 3rd quarter. He took a blow to the head a few plays earlier by Bernard Pollard which resulted in a 15 yard penalty. A few plays later, Welker had to twist his body around to catch the ball and he looked like he was bracing for a hit which resulted in the drop. If Brady would've lead him into it, it wouldn't been a 1st down inside the 20. Damn.
Much like this past SB, when the point spread began to move down significantly and a heavy portion of bettors began to go against us, I started to take notice. Will that lead to a loss every time? No, but when the sharps feel so strongly it tends to gain attention.

Many felt as though the wind would somehow benefit us due to Brady’s experience in dealing with poor field conditions in the past, but all it did was act as another DB for the Ravens. On our side, the DBs sucked, as is often the case in recent big game losses. Losing 3/4 AFCCGs from ‘12-‘15 was a miserable feeling. Thank God for Butler’s pick and the comeback against the Falcons.

Jones was with the Pats from March 15th to July 19th in 2013. He retired from the NFL about 3 weeks later due to kidney disease. Prior to that, he was a 2010 UDFA signed by the Bills who had modest production for them at WR through 2012. He didn't receive an RFA tender from them and signed a 3-year contract with the Pats on March 15th.

So, he never actually played in a game for the Pats?

Ray Lewis view on how they won that game..

"blah, blah, praise the lord, blah, blah, blah, praise the lord, blah, blah, blah, blah, praise the lord"

"Gotta go now and check on my 4 baby momma's and the six kids, praise the lord"....

Ray Lewis view on how they won that game..

"blah, blah, praise the lord, blah, blah, blah, praise the lord, blah, blah, blah, blah, praise the lord"

"Gotta go now and check on my 4 baby momma's and the six kids, praise the lord"....
Can anyone tell me why the NFL and the media ignored the fact that he killed someone yet made him out to be such as great guy? So bizarre.

I have zero recollection of this guy. You could tell me he was a senator from Oklahoma and I wouldn't know any better. He couldn't have been here for long.

I have zero recollection of this guy. You could tell me he was a senator from Oklahoma and I wouldn't know any better. He couldn't have been here for long.
Camp fodder, maybe ‘13 or ‘14? He was here about as long as Reggie Wayne was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST