PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Banks:Jets' sweet November could lead to comfortable December

Status
Not open for further replies.
I give the Jets credit for pulling out these wins. We just need to keep pace with them until the showdown at Gillette and win that game, we will be in pretty good shape if that happens. After that the Jets still have to go into Pittsburgh so the Steelers can really help us out there.

Houston and Cincy are not going to be easy, this is a team that struggled mightily to beat Denver and Detroit.

There are no style points for blowing out teams. So the Jets have nothing to be ashamed of, but the way they are playing right now is not a way to win against good teams. The way the NFL is this year, they could easily dial it up again or fall apart.

I could see the game in three weeks being for the division and both teams being with 12 or more wins. I could see either team have a bad stretch with 2-3 losses in a month the rest of the way.

Last edited:
For anyone that missed the game, if you would like to see the razor thin margin of this jets OT win, it can be measured by the distance between Stuckey's foot and the sideline in this shot.

10oibli.png

Had the runner been out of bounds, the Browns would have been on the jets 32 yard line in OT. Instead there was a fumble just moments later allowing the jets to take possession.

2 other things were memorable about this game for me:

1) the jets kicker, Folk, suu-suuu--suuuuucked! 3 missed FGs in 1 game?!? 1 at the 26? Yikes. :eek:
2) that catch by Cotchery was pretty amazing. Limping, hopping ... jumps to grab the ball and make the reception. Nice one.

Last edited:
December is going to us all what the Jets are made of.
At New England
At Pittsburgh
At Chicago

That's why I can't understand Banks' take about the Jets and their sweet November schedule setting them up nicely.
All three of these December games are very physical for the Jets. That is going to be one beat up team heading into the playoffs. Jets don't get a playoff bye they could be out very early.

Last edited:
Whatever you and other Pat fans need to tell yourselves to make yourselves feel better.

The Jets were losing these games last year, but that didn't stop anybody from spinning the Jets record at the end of the year.

Didnt they win some games in 08 too? How'd that work out for you?

Fact is..they are the luckiest team in the NFL this year.

FACT!

Didnt they win some games in 08 too? How'd that work out for you?

Fact is..they are the luckiest team in the NFL this year.

FACT!

Luck is part of the game. Every team that wins the Super Bowl have luck during the season at points. The question is whether the Jets can win these games without the luck. They might. Right now, they are living on the edge winning a lot of close games. The Pats did that all the way to the Super Bowl in 2003 (although their margin of victory was better I think).

The problem with this argument is had there been no facemask he would have caught it,,,

and had he caught it they would have tacked on the facemask penalty..

Would he have caught it? We will never know that.

At New England
At Pittsburgh
At Chicago

That's why I can't understand Banks' take about the Jets and their sweet November schedule setting them up nicely.
All three of these December games are very physical for the Jets. That is going to be one beat up team heading into the playoffs. Jets don't get a playoff bye they could be out very early.

I think Banks probably chocked the Pats game vs. the Steelers as a loss for the Pats and that the Jets would have an one game lead for the division with the Pats meeting the Colts on Sunday.

It's the feeling these guys have that they have to come up with some "angle" every week, instead of just writing about what they see.

Nothing really terrible about the article, and if was Pats-focused it would probably be praised here. But it's just sort of pointless. I mean, "comfortable" December? Seriously? Last couple weeks haven't shown there are no comfortable games?

A win is a win, even for the Jets. They hold the lead in the division right now and they beat us head to head, so my hats off to them. Sancheeze is really pulling some rabbits out of his arse, but for me and the Pats, I don't care how a win looks, as long as it is a win. I really look forward to seeing the 2nd Pats-Jets meeting, but right now its COLTS WEEK, not the Jets. One game at a time.

I mean, "comfortable" December? Seriously? Last couple weeks haven't shown there are no comfortable games?

Exactly!! I don't care what their record is going in, how can a December schedule that includes the Pats, Steelers and Bears on the road be described as comfortable?? Especially in this wildly unpredictable year??
A bizarre choice of words by Don Banks, who I like by the way. Think he's a very good writer.

Expect more articles of this nature.

It was interesting how the mediots were singing the praises of the Jets post Pats game. With Baltimore and Pittsburgh vanquished, the Jets represent the last "great white hope" for a non Pats Super Bowl.

Its looking like either the Pats or Jets will have the second best record in the conference but will be a wildcard team instead of having a bye. Let's hope it's them.

I don't know what Banks is smoking here, the Jets have gotten very lucky 3 of the last 4 weeks and games on the road in Chicago, Pitt, and here aren't going to be cakewalks. I don't think the Texans and Bengals will be cakewalks for them either to be perfectly frank. If there's one thing I've seen this year its that I don't know what the hell to expect week to week.

2 things about the Lions game. Stafford is gone so I'm not too concerned about that team
But more importantly the Patriots get a mini-bye because they're playing on Thanksgiving and the Jet game is on a Monday night. Belichick is going to hold the "you get 5 days off if we win this game" carrot in front of his team. I see them playing on Thanksgiving as a major break for them. They're going to get some much needed rest from the grind of this schedule after that game. I'm sure they need it since their bye week came early this season.
Rested, refreshed and focused going into the Jet game. Couldn't ask for a better set-up.

That would be a valid point if the Jets weren't also playing Thanksgiving day - - - and at home.

At New England
At Pittsburgh
At Chicago

I don't think the Jets have an easy Win until Week 17 at this point - what is Banks talking about?

Exactly!! I don't care what their record is going in, how can a December schedule that includes the Pats, Steelers and Bears on the road be described as comfortable?? Especially in this wildly unpredictable year??
A bizarre choice of words by Don Banks, who I like by the way. Think he's a very good writer.
It especially makes no sense when you consider that they're tied for the division lead at 7-2. "Comfortable" is the last way I'd describe any team in the AFC East, especially the Jets. I'm getting more and more confident that we're going to light them up when play us at Gilette.

That would be a valid point if the Jets weren't also playing Thanksgiving day - - - and at home.

I don't care what the Jets are doing. I'm talking about the physical/mental health of the Patriots who are coming through the teeth of their schedule having played the Ravens, Chargers, Vikings, Steelers, Colts in the past month and 1/2....all very physical teams with the possible exception of the horseshoes. The Patriots are going to benefit a great deal from getting a blow after the Lions game.
The teeth of the Jets schedule comes after Thanksgiving. They're going to need that blow after December. :D
The Jets don't get a bye they're going to be in trouble. I think this post-Thanksgiving break will be very beneficial for the Pats.

We will never know because his head was twisted backward...

But seeing two clutch OT game winning catches the past two weeks .

And the fact he had both hands on the ball I think it is beyond fair to give him the benefit of the doubt..

And he has dropped his fair share of balls this season and one or two with both hands on the ball. Again, we will never know. The catch yesterday was a screen pass which is infinitely more catchable than than the pass in the Denver game.

I'm done arguing this play. My point was to point out that the Jets were one play away from losing to a bad defense to counter an argument that the Texans (who are arguably a better team than the Broncos) have no chance of beating the Jets because they have a bad defense. My intentions was not to rehash that game and whether the Jets deserved to win it or not.

Last edited:
The Jets are basically playing Patriots football circa 2001. Good teams are lucky.

I'm tired of the Jets obsession here all together.

80% of games seem to come down to one play..(last play or just crucial moment)

And even with that one play the Broncs still had a chance

You go to the Jets boards and there is just as much obsession about the Pats. It is the nature of the division rivalries.

I think you overstate how much games come down to one play. You can point to most games and say a handful of plays were the difference, but rarely is it one play in critical momements that was the difference. Otherwise almost every game would be won by a TD or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes