PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you even respect Peyton Manning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't help but think anyone who doesn't respect Manning as a football player doesn't have a true appreciation for the sport--or sports in general for that matter.

I hate Brady as much as any other non-Patriots/Michigan fan, but that doesn't mean I don't respect the hell out of what he does on the field. Even with great defenses, clutch kicks, all-pro offenses, the best special teams...you don't win multiple super bowls by luck. Maybe the occasional lucky QB gets his ring (Ravens QBs, for example), but you won't see them getting two, much less three.

That, his passion for the game, etc. it's impossible to not have a lot of respect for Brady, and that's coming from someone who loves seeing him fail. The reason I like seeing him fail so much is because of how good he is and has been.

On the field and off the field are two totally different ball games. Most athletes in general aren't the best people (selfish/entitled) and aren't (or shouldn't be) respected people. But in terms of having respect for a player who has immense talent and a passion for the game...Brady and Manning are in the same class.

Well, at least I know I don't need to turn on ESPN anymore to get my weekly dose of Manning ball washing. I can just come to Patsfans.com.

All of you are mostly wrong.

Peyton isn't one of the greatest of all time. That statement is a media inspired joke. You put too much into the regular season. The regular season means squat, because every single season there are so many teams with atrocious defenses. Play offs and post season performances is what matters, and is where Peyton has been exposed over and over and over again.

The responses in this thread are disappointing, and pretty easily disputed, dismantled, and destroyed.

The guys ONE Superbowl ring came with a post season performance of 3 touchdowns and 8 interceptions? 7 interceptions?

Give me a break.

Active quarterbacks with multiple Super Bowl rings:

Brady
Eli
Roethlisberger

Are we supposed to conclude that everyone else sucks, or something? Are you trying to make an actual point?

Manning is great. His arm is weak now which is extra bad in the cold and wind.

Love Manning as a player, think he's a pretty funny guy off the field too. Have absolutely no problem with him. Of course, I always root against him, and get some delicious schadenfreude whenever he fails, but I don't think anyone could make an argument for him not being one of the 5 best quarterbacks of all time (he's in my top 3, behind Brady and Montana).

In 20 years we'll all miss the days when he and Brady would go head to head and have these crazy matchups we've come to expect. As football fans, we should always respect greatness, and Peyton Manning is great.

Well, at least I know I don't need to turn on ESPN anymore to get my weekly dose of Manning ball washing. I can just come to Patsfans.com.

Peyton isn't one of the greatest of all time. That statement is a media inspired joke. You put too much into the regular season. The regular season means squat, because every single season there are so many teams with atrocious defenses. Play offs and post season performances is what matters, and is where Peyton has been exposed over and over and over again.

The responses in this thread are disappointing, and pretty easily disputed, dismantled, and destroyed.

The guys ONE Superbowl ring came with a post season performance of 3 touchdowns and 8 interceptions? 7 interceptions?

Give me a break.

If it's so easy to dismantle the argument, then do so instead of offering 4 paragraphs of nothing saying how 'easy' it is to dismantle the argument and a factual basis of "everybody is wrong." Apparently you are very well informed because you say so.

If your standard is rings, then the best QB ever would be Montana and Bradshaw followed by Brady and Aikman. Bradshaw is not better than Brady, and Aikman is not comparable to Brady. Marino, with no rings, is not worse than Bradshaw. Dilfer is definitely not better than Marino. As football is a team sport, rings mean something but not everything. Elway has an 80 rating, so I guess he wouldn't be in that conversation either. And Montana posted ratings in playoff losses between 1985 and 1987 of 65, 34 and 42 - does he suck, given the fact he was throwing to arguably the greatest receiver in history? Namath and Dilfer are both better than Marino and Kelly by post-season success.

Articulate an actual argument (e.g., "My standard for great quarterbacks involve X in the regular season and Y in the post-season" and Manning lacks X or Y) in lieu of "I disagree" and add something to the discussion rather than professing disappointment that others cannot fathom your evident wisdom on the topic.

For all his post-season criticism, Manning has about a 90 QBR in the post-season. He has some stinker games, as does Brady. Brady is the best QB ever in my opinion, but this notion that you are capable of seeing through media-inspired promotion and others are not is ridiculous. Try using statistics, as those aren't media inspired to my knowledge and actually make you sound informed.

I think Manning is one of the best ever.

but I'll still take Brady any day of the week.

Give me a break.

Next time, either leave the drugs at home or bring enough to share with everyone.

Give me a break.

berneydidnotread.gif

Elway won his superbowls only after the donks violated cap rules.

Peyton is one of the best QB to ever play the game. Definitely top 10 all time. He also played in the salary cap era. So what if he played in an expansion div? We play in the afce. Jets, bills and dolphins are equal or worse.

You have to respect Peyton Manning point blank for his achievements, effort and mastery on the field of play. He is one of the few offensive players that has pushed Belichick ,the defensive genius.

One underrated aspect of Manning's success (and yes, one SB ring is still success in my books; lots of HOF's have not gone on to win the Big Prize) is having to deal with the expectations and pressures of being a number 1 pick (contrasting Brady who had different hurdles to overcome). That takes hard graft and real focus to succeed. Not all can handle the spotlight and intense scrutiny that is the modern NFL, especially with so much riding on the decision making and execution of the QB. Many others with bags of natural talent have failed due to poor attitude, sense of entitlement and lack of worth ethic.

I've been an NFL and Patriot fan since the Bledsoe era. I've seen every single game in the Brady v Manning rivalry, and remember a lot of them in decent enough detail. I have to say, as a Patriot fan, looking at it from the perspective of a New Englander, I do not have the same awe for Peyton Manning that other fan bases have.

I am not a fan of the Manning family as a whole I find them to be very self-consumed and they consistently put themselves above the franchise they play for and the NFL in general. They all have this sense of entitlement which I feel stems from Archie they believe they should just win because and what matters is how their teammates can benefit them most. I find Peyton putting his teammates on blast in the media frequently over the years to be especially distasteful.

I do respect Peyton’s accomplishments at the NFL level however, he is certainly one of the best QBs of his time and deserves credit for that aspect, so I guess to answer your question I respect the Manning between the lines but I do not respect or admire the Manning outside of those lines.

This makes me think of a girl asking if a guy respects her after a booty call. I'm sure after Manning getting f***** by Tom Brady once again he told her how much he respects her. Tom's a gentleman like that.

Give me a break.

yes he has been disappointing in the playoffs. but playoffs don't make or break a player. you have to look at the whole body of work. and he did win 1 SB and went to 2. ask jim kelly how hard it is to win 1.

and you have to look at why and how he under performs in the playoffs.

1. in the playoffs you face tougher defenses - brady's worst games in the playoffs were all against tough defenses.

2. he is a domer - he played cozy dome home games 8 times a season most of his professional career. he practiced in domes. the team is built around dome field advantage. and that is hurting his ability to play well in bad weather games. colts offense and this whole 'manning is a coaching on the field' happened because of the perfect nature of his game and the offense. it's a timing offense. everybody has to play the part. think of it as a major symphony orchestra. they have to collectively perform well in order to be great. in a way brady's game is also similar. when the timing was off early in the season he struggled. dudes need to be at certain place at a certain time. peyton depends on it more because he doesn't have brady's arm strength, and isn't accustomed to play in a bad weather games. .2 sec off changes the timing. 1 bad route running changes the timing. peyton isn't a gun slinger with a rocket arm. everything is calculated.

3. his passing style/philosophy changes the team's identity - call it 'finesse' or call it 'pass happy - peyton's brilliant passing game makes the team bit soft. they build a team around peyton's strength. this hurts them in the playoffs because pass happy teams don't do well more often than not. just look at us past few years. you need find a right balance. most of peyton's career peyton's team didn't have a good balance. we didn't have a good balance in many years.

4. he sometimes think too hard, do too much - he really is a coach on the field. and sometimes this is his worst enemy. sometimes it's better to be just QB.

5. he is successful against almost all teams except us - we are his worst enemy. but we are worst enemy to many teams.

Bret Favre only won 1SB too. you don't respect him? Jim Kelly who i believe is the most underrated QB ever walked on Earth lost 4SBs. you don't respect him?

take a hater glasses off and see all the great things peyton has done. It was truly joy to watch him. I only root against him when he plays us. He is the face of the league along with Brady. they are forever connected together. no matter what happens to both of these greats - brady/manning will always be remembered TOGETHER.

Active quarterbacks with multiple Super Bowl rings:

Brady
Eli
Roethlisberger

Are we supposed to conclude that everyone else sucks, or something? Are you trying to make an actual point?

Eli Manning and Big Ben played in actually tough football divisions. One of the reasons the 2007 Giants were flying under the radar was because of their regular season record, which was the result of every division game being a war. They were a battle hardened team for the post season and Eli's proven on more than one occasion, to our detriment, he plays the biggest when it's the most important. The AFC north was similar, but Ben has nothing to do with this conversation, so I don't even know why you would bring him up.

It isn't about rings. It's about how QB's perform in the post season, which is when they have to play other GOOD football teams.

Peyton Manning racked up excellent stats against nobodies his entire career.
His NFL record for most one and done's in NFL history reveals him as the most exposed quarterback in NFL history.

Maybe you apply GOAT status to someone for being able to throw five touchdown passes against the Jaguars or the Titans. To me that's only a compliment to post season performances because that's what matters.

What makes one a GOAT is the ability to go to the tournament, where all the best teams await, and win. It isn't putting on a show, in a dome, for 16 weeks against NOBODIES and then getting sent home to play GOLF your very first play off game, year after year after year after year.

Go watch ESPN some more.

You have to respect Peyton Manning point blank for his achievements, effort and mastery on the field of play. He is one of the few offensive players that has pushed Belichick ,the defensive genius.

His record against Belichick is abysmal. What are you even talking about?
And his "mastery" has been against pathetic NFL defenses during the regular season. Who cares? Again, if that makes him a GOAT, it makes Dan Fouts one too.

Um, yeah, I respect Peyton, even if I prefer Brady. I respect great players, no matter who they play for. That doesn't mean I want to hear about Manning every time I turn on the TV.

I'm somewhat torn on pulling for Denver if we're out. Peyton having as many rings as his special needs brother would make me feel better about this world.

Um, yeah, I respect Peyton, even if I prefer Brady. I respect great players, no matter who they play for. That doesn't mean I want to hear about Manning every time I turn on the TV.

I'm somewhat torn on pulling for Denver if we're out. Peyton having as many rings as his special needs brother would make me feel better about this world.

Wow. Just wow.
Someone should come and take away your Patriots fandom card for even saying that.

Peyton Manning is the only quarterback in the NFL this century who has made me cringe every single time he lines up against our defense.

Yeah, I guess you can call that respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back