PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you even respect Peyton Manning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! I respect Manning. However, I just don't think he belongs in the top 5 of all time, top 10 for sure. Ultimately he doesn't have enough toughness in him, he's not as tough mentally as Brady

I hate this thread because it reminds me how pervasive the reality-altering homerism is here.

Fnord, you just don't see the wisdom of these realists who are apparently sufficiently gifted that they see through all the media-hype with almost Einsteinian intellect. Their collective genius is dizzying. I now see that the guy is a chump, and is worthy of no respect.:rolleyes:

All those other dome QBs threw for 63,000 yards and 472 TDs with a 97 rating, or would have if they had the chance. Apparently, Manning was the first QB in history to throw in a dome, and we now see how easy it is to rack up stats. Forget the reason for the 4th and 2 call. Forget the 2006 AFC championship loss, and the fact that loss looked much like this win with a Super Bowl win at stake (the Pats would easily have beaten the Bears). Forget the Pats went 6-0, and then 1-4 to Manning before regaining their footing with the current 3-0 streak, because the total is to the Pats' advantage.

Because Brady is great, Manning must suck because he is at best second best and second sucks. Montana sucks too. So do Kelly, Marino, Bradshaw, Unitas, Starr and all others in the Hall. So let it be written. So let it be done.

Re: OT-Reddit Peyton Manning fan loses bet

Pretty awesome, where's the link.

Ridiculous question. Of course I respect him because he is a pretty good guy and an amazing QB. Of course Tom is the best but I think it is pure bias not to respect him. Enjoy Peyton v Brady. #2 & #3 QBs of all time, that's a rivalry you'll probably never see again. Peyton has been stellar throughout his career.

Btw #2 is Tommy.

Nice.

Whatever happened to the guy who would get an "A" or something if he convince his professor that Brady > Manning.

Nope.

In a court filing, her lawyer wrote that she was examining Manning to see why Manning was having pain in one of his feet and was crouched behind him when "entirely unprovoked, Peyton Manning decided to pull down his shorts and sit on Dr. Naughright's head and face."

As Naughright described it in a deposition entered into the court record: "It was the gluteus maximus, the rectum, the testicles and the area in between the testicles. And all that was on my face when I pushed him up. ... To get leverage, I took my head out to push him up and off."

The court record includes a letter to Manning from former Tennessee cross country runner Malcolm Saxon, who Manning said was the intended target of the mooning. Written in December 2002, the letter reads, in part: "Bro, you have tons of class, but you have shown no mercy or grace to this lady who was on her knees seeing if you had a stress fracture. ...

"She was minding her own business when your book came out. Peyton, the way I see it, at this point, you are going to take a hit either way, if you settle out of court or if it goes to court. You might as well maintain some dignity and admit to what happened. ... Your celebrity doesn't mean you can treat folks that way. ... Do the right thing here."
USATODAY.com - Trainer has backers in suit against Mannings

Nice.

Whatever happened to the guy who would get an "A" or something if he convince his professor that Brady > Manning.

Apparently he told his professor that Brady has won 3 Super Bowls to Manning's 1, that Brady was 17-7 in the play-offs to Mannings 9-11, that Brady owns him head to head at 10-4, that he has a better winning percentage and is over 100 games over .500, and that Manning is only a dome QB to Brady's all weather all the time legacy. So he flunked him.

Ridiculous question. Of course I respect him because he is a pretty good guy and an amazing QB. Of course Tom is the best but I think it is pure bias not to respect him. Enjoy Peyton v Brady. #2 & #3 QBs of all time, that's a rivalry you'll probably never see again. Peyton has been stellar throughout his career.

Btw #2 is Tommy.

Brady is #1, and will solidify that status after the Super Bowl he wins in this coming February.

Btw #2 is Tommy.

Brady is the GOAT IMO.

is montana #1 in your list? i think it's close, but IMO brady has surpassed Montana.

brady is the GOAT because

1. brady has done more with less. this is an irrefutable fact. niners in 80's were loaded beyond imagination. that team was like pats, ravens, broncos combined.

2. played in a tougher era - i know people always bring up 80's NFL D, but IMO, NFL D has gotten infinitely better now than ever before. NFL is like a super computer. it keeps on expanding. so brady actually played in a tougher era IMO. winning SB in today's NFL is much tougher IMO. every year any team can get hot and win it all as long as they have good QB.

3. more talented era - today's NFL's talent pool is insane with population explosion and football being the clearcut #1 sports. and players are bigger and faster than ever before. another irrefutable fact. and that's why today's league has more injuries than ever before even with all the sissy calls.

4. 5SB appearance - i honestly don't believe winning 4 out of 4 SB is not that big of a big deal especially when you see how dominant those niners were. When niners beat elway's broncos it was worse beating than pats beating tebow's broncos. it was obvious niners and broncos didn't belong in the same field. same thing happened when they played dolphins. that dominant defense shut down the most prolific offense up to date with ease.

5. brady has better overall talent - montana doesn't have the arm strength. he has everything else, but he does lack that elite arm. this matters. we saw it on last sunday. also brady is 2inches taller and 20lb heavier. this matters too. brady can take a beating in today's league. montana would have to bulk up if he wants to play in today's NFL.

6. Jerry rice, jerry rice - just imagine having a prime randy moss for 6 years. and imagine him being a model citizen. just think about that. hell, just imagine brady having jerry rice for 6 years. a guy who eats bump and run. a guy who makes ridiculous clutch catches. a guy who shows up in the playoffs. just look at this year - brady performs on a different planet when he has Gronk. WRs do make QBs.

i'm not knocking on montana's greatness, but i just think brady has better overall resume and was more impactful player for longer period of time.

I remember that being talked about near a decade ago. That discredits all of Manning's achievements though...:bricks:
No, but the question was about respect. And I won't respect someone who did that.

Brady is #1, and will solidify that status after the Super Bowl he wins in this coming February.

Easy for us to say as Pats fans. He'll be the greatest of all time if he wins another. It's a shame because he should have 5 currently.

Brady is already GOAT, but winning 1 more SB would definitely change many people's mind for sure.

and media is stupid. imagine brady losing another SB - this actually would hurt his GOAT status. how stupid is that? it's like if you are going to lose a SB, then don't go to SB at all. brady was friggin 2 plays away from winning 5 ring.

If it isn't enough to see P Manning's vaunted stats/production on the field, here is a description of P Manning the person off the field straight from someone who was allowed a glimpse of the personal side of the man:

I had the great fortune to sit next to one of the female ESPN reporters on a flight from LAX to SFO a several years back (it was before Tom and Giselle got engaged - I remember that because she tipped me off to their soon to be 'coupling'), the good fortune of having high wind at SFO making us circle for an extra 30 or 40 minutes, the good fortune of complimentary wine she took an enjoyment to several times.
During our long conversation I asked her who her favorite player is, she said one of her utmost favorite players is P Manning. I said "what?? It should be Brady and shouldn't even be close (in a kidding way)". Her response was based on her impression of the person, not the on field player (she gave me almost nothing about her opinions of the on field performances) "I interviewed P Manning at his home a few years ago. He was such a likable guy. Still with his college sweetheart, a really sweet girl to match him. He's just a true family man. You couldn't come away not really liking this guy" (it was close to those words). (((she also commented that these type of guys are not overly common in the NFL/pro sports. She made a point to say they are not bad guys per se or unlikeable, but the person they present themselves as seems to be affected by having the keys to the city so often handed to them))). On Brady she commented, "He is definitely a good and likeable guy, but he is a guy with soooo many options and that air of supreme confidence comes across". She wasn't bagging on him at all, definitely didn't use a single bad word about him, I just think she wasn't, in general, a big fan of that air of supreme confidence that she seemed to feel so many NFL/Pro players have or at least give off.

Side note, she was awesome, an overall fantastic girl! I don't have many negative words to say about her. Easy to talk to/easy going, down to earth, fairly knowledgeable of football, sense of humor, fun. That really was a MAJOR score to end up sitting next to her (fyi, the odds of that happening are a bit better for me than most as I typically have 60 to 70 take offs per year for the last 7+ years of my occupation). Again I got almost nothing in terms of on field stuff from her but the off field banter about the world of pro athletes was fun to hear (surprise! some girls even with the full knowledge that she is #7 on the Saturday night speed dial are ecstatic to be at #7).

Anyway, to make the point of that long story, I came away thinking P Manning is a goof guy and the type of player I would normally root for if he didn't play for a bitter arch rival. And given that and given his very consistently impressive on field performance, if P Manning isn't worthy of respect then I suggest your ideas for what deserves respect are off kilter.

Oh, right. I forgot about his destroying the dignity of this poor woman by sitting on her face.

But he's a super cool non-clutch pouty faced, pampered, dome quarterback that's funny on SNL, yo! Classy Pats fans talk about how great he is!

lolololololol

I don't follow the NFL to evaluate the character of players. There's a lot of bad eggs in the NFL. I figured this question pertained more towards respecting him as a player? But if y'all insist we dig in to his college misdeeds, have at it.

There's some funny stuff on Reddit. My favorite -- and this is entirely off-topic except for the Reddit connection -- was from of all things Redditors who had an incestuous relationship - How did you end up in there? How do you perceive it? : AskReddit

Wow... okay, I wasn't sure if I was ever going to tell anyone about this, but it's late and I'm sleep deprived so i guess I'll just write it now and regret it in the morning :/

First of all, - just for some background: My mom died right when I was born, (she was actually really, really hot- but this isn't about her. I guess that's ****** up to say, but whatever.) I actually grew up with my dad's family, because my dad has all sorts of emotional issues and he bailed before I was born. So you can see, my childhood was really kind of messed up.

Anyways, growing up I feel like there was always a lot of distance between me and my sister. When I was about 17 or 18 I first noticed that my sister was a hottie.

I don't want to go into to many details about it, but basically what happened is that I accidentally found a video that she made of herself. I knew she didn't make it for me- but I thought she was so ******* beautiful that I watched it twice. (probably would have watched it a hell of a lot more, except that like right around the time I found the video, all this crazy **** went down and I had to leave home. (My dad's family who I was staying with got in bad trouble with the law. I never talk about it).

Sooo... I was totally lusting after my sister at that point. She was also having bad trouble with the law. She was actually in custody when I left home.

My friend and I went to go pick her up. When I saw her that day, after seeing the video, I have to be honest, I just wanted to **** her brains out. Looking back on it now, it's pretty messed up- but I think she had feelings for me too. She actually kissed me right after we came to get her... and it wasn't a sisterly kiss, you know? I mean, it wasn't like ridiculously sexual or anything, but it definitely wasn't sisterly.

After we left, we all went to crash with my Sister's friends. On the trip there, my friend sort of implied that he wanted to get with my Sister, and I got a little jealous. He's a good looking guy- and even though she was my sister- I just felt like he was competition. Not much else happened between us for a while except some maybe-sexy hugging.

Pretty much everyone in my life at that point was wanted by the government, so we all moved around a lot. I'm not saying that I'm proud of it or anything, but it was kind of an awesome time.

My friend and my sister never hooked up I don't think- but I thought there was some serious sexual tension going on between them. It was around that time that I got really badly hurt in an accident. It was ****** up. I almost died. But when I was in recovery my sister came to see me, and out of the clear blue sky she started gives me this awesome, slow, passionate kiss on the lips.

Sadly (although, I guess for the best) nothing ever came of it. We spent some time apart... and I started to get really religious, so I tried not to think of her that way. It was actually going well for a long time- like I was totally over her. But I have to say, like a year or so after all that stuff went down, we were out sailing (not like a date or anything romantic like that), and she was wearing like the hottest bikini I've ever ******* seen and it brought back all the old feelings. Sigh.

A little while later she actually wound up with my friend from before (the sexual tension guy). I can't say I was surprised.

But even after she was shacking up with my friend, there was one time we were at a party... my friend was inside, and my sister and I were outside alone. It was a really intimate moment. I think something might have happened, except that I killed the mood when I told her that Darth Vader was our father and that I had to go face him.

There's some funny stuff on Reddit. My favorite -- and this is entirely off-topic except for the Reddit connection -- was from of all things Redditors who had an incestuous relationship - How did you end up in there? How do you perceive it? : AskReddit

FWIW, this was ripped off from 4chan. But that's fine because I'd rather read 4chan reposts on reddit than go to 4chan and see CP or another frame by frame of some 4channer cutting the tail and paws off of a kitten.

FWIW, this was ripped off from 4chan.

I didn't know that. (Or maybe it's the same poster?)

There was another one, I think, about Scooby-Doo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes