PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do We Need To Use A Roster Spot On A Punt Returner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Sanu
Dugger
Edelman (we don't like the idea, but Belichick has never allowed that to matter)

Isn't this enough?

I would think that 5th Wr would need to make the roster as a WR, not as a punt returner.

Sanu should never return a punt going forward as he's only returned one punt before being traded to the Pats. That was a massive blunder by Billy.

Edelman should only return punts on emergencies and that's still something I really don't want to see. His workload needs to be reduced.

Somebody else not getting time at WR/RB needs to step up.

Sanu is a punt catcher, Jules is injured again and Dugger is a rookie no one ever saw return a punt in NFL game.

Gunner is proven #1 NE punt returner and most hyped WR from first part of TC.

#5 WR (which by no means means final WR roster spot) better have something more to contribute to the team.

There will be plenty of room for WRs on PS.

So what WR-only binkie are you trembling for :)

Sanu
Dugger
Edelman (we don't like the idea, but Belichick has never allowed that to matter)

Isn't this enough?

I would think that 5th Wr would need to make the roster as a WR, not as a punt returner.
What if Kneal, Harry can't make the roster as either?

Do
Sanu is a punt catcher, Jules is injured again and Dugger is a rookie no one ever saw return a punt in NFL game.

Gunner is proven #1 NE punt returner and most hyped WR from first part of TC.

#5 WR (which by no means means final WR roster spot) better have something more to contribute to the team.

There will be plenty of room for WRs on PS.

So what WR-only binkie are you trembling for :)

I don't get the anti-Gunner sentiment of many here; is it because he was *nobody's* binkie coming out of D2? The guy was the 6th ranked punt returner in the league last year, and by all reports -- at least per Belichick and Lazar -- he's transformed this year and is looking very competitive as a WR. But some folks here clearly are uncomfortable with the possibility that he might make the team again.

One of the things I've noticed about the haters here is that they never change their mind, they only go silent if their hated players do well, biding their time, hoping to eventually be proven right.

Gunner is the punt returner until someone beats him out.
Yep...I had Jeff Thomas as my 6th WR/Returner (behind Edelman, Sanu, Harry, Meyers & Byrd) before camp started, but as of today that spot belongs to Gunner...damn I wish there were pre-season games...

Gunner is the guy, IMO. And I am thinking he'll actually get reps at WR this year....so he might be a WR more than a PR anyway.

If I were a bubble wr, i'd be grabbing jake bailey / what ever camp body that can punt on a daily basis working on catches & returns ... special teams is a good way to make the roster

Punt return should be Gunners job. It was his job last year, and he looks to be stepping up this year. He is consistently showing up in practice at WR, getting behind the defense and making plays. Excited to see what this kid can do with more reps. Plus, he’s a Def Leppard fan :p

Gunner is the guy, IMO. And I am thinking he'll actually get reps at WR this year....so he might be a WR more than a PR anyway.
From the reports I've heard, Gunner is ahead of Meyers for a sport as WR at this point.

Gunner doesn't have the same responsibilities as Ebner, but that's the roster spot I see him taking.

Gunner doesn't have the same responsibilities as Ebner, but that's the roster spot I see him taking.

Besides his punt return duties --where he was 6th in yards / punt in the league -- Gunner played wedgebreaker on kickoffs.

I think that is Cody Davis not Gunner.

I think that is Cody Davis not Gunner.
Yep...wouldn't surprise to also see Davis as Punt Protector here like Ebner was, though he's not as stout as Ebner was/is...

Last edited:
Having watched the games, I'm surprised that Gunner would be ranked 6th. Are the 26 punt returners behind him all running it backwards?

(Maybe I'm misremembering. Or maybe spoiled by watching Edelman).

From the reports I've heard, Gunner is ahead of Meyers for a sport as WR at this point.

That is quite possible.

I believe that we will carry 5 WR's plus Slater. Gunner could be the #5 WR. My point in starting this thread is that I don't think that he'll make the roster as a punt returner, without being the #5 receiver.

Edelman, Sanu, Harry, ???, ???, Slater

The other two positions are wide open. Byrd, Meyers and Gunner are the favorites, plus the required UDFA as a competitor (Thomas this year).

And yes, Belichick could trade for a WR, using Sanu's money, or not. IMO, that doesn't affect Gunner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down