PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do the Pats go big and trade away a lot of draft picks for Watson or Wilson now?

How much would it cost to move up to number 1 and get Lawrence? How would that compare to getting Watson or Wilson? I'm hugely ignorant of these things so sorry if this has already been answered.

Yes. Bill should make a big trade. "mortgage the future".

Yeah, but Wilson's issue is that he feels they don't invest in the o-line and it is getting him killed. That wouldn't be an issue with the Pats because they typically make having a solid o-line a priority.

I still don't think there is any realistic chance that the Pats will trade for Wilson, but I am not sure he would have the same issues with the Patriots.
The only time the Pats didn't have good protection was in 2019 when they were decimated by injuries. They even lost both of their FBs and had a LB learning to play FB. Luckily they had the GOAT QB who was famous for getting rid of the ball quickly.

I'd be thrilled if Russell Wilson came here but I don't see him or Watson ever wearing the ugly flying Elvis logo.

I think the only semi-possible scenario -- it is still very low odds -- to get Watson from the Texans would involve two transactions:

a) moving up to whatever slot makes sense pricewise between #4 and #5 (very expensive already)
b) offering the Texans that pick -- where they immediately take a QB this year -- and whatever else in collateral they ask for.

In terms of draft pipeline it most probably would set us back by 3-4 years while also paying Watson 10.5M, 35M, 37M (all fully guaranteed). On the flipside the risk is much lower than just doing a) and going for a rookie because you already know who Watson is. Also, Deshaun is pretty young (25) so you'd look (hopefully) at a long term investment.

It would open a window for us to easily compete for a title in the next 2-3 years until the missing drafts really catch up and then we either would have to start backloading contracts Saints style to prolong the party or just accept another rebuild but this time with a franchise QB already on board.

Of course that is close to the ideal case because injuries and other season changing stuff can happen in an instant as the Saints experienced in the last couple of years.

The final piece of the puzzle is whether BB and McDaniels wouldn't actually prefer developing a young QB themselves and sculpting him exactly to their vision. This is something nobody has really talked about but I can see them being excited at a chance to do that.

I don't want to mortgage the future for pre-owned quarterbacks. Get me one fresh off the lot. I'm warming up to Trey Lance. While watching a few clips on youtube, I am also warming up to Kyle Trask as a 2nd/3rd round option.

I don't want to mortgage the future for pre-owned quarterbacks. Get me one fresh off the lot. I'm warming up to Trey Lance. While watching a few clips on youtube, I am also warming up to Kyle Trask as a 2nd/3rd round option.
I watched some highlights just now and think that Lance will get KILLED in the NFL with that upright running style and scrawny body. However he has a real quick release, and decent, but not elite accuracy

If we go “all in” on trading picks, clearly we should be trading for a known commodity like Watson than trading up for any draft pick.

Lawrence is a generational qb. No way is Jacksonville passing on him.

no other qb’s in this draft have displayed more than a third round pick ability. Yet the laws of supply and demand have pushed average turds into high first round status.

If we go “all in” on trading picks, clearly we should be trading for a known commodity like Watson than trading up for any draft pick.

Lawrence is a generational qb. No way is Jacksonville passing on him.

no other qb’s in this draft have displayed more than a third round pick ability. Yet the laws of supply and demand have pushed average turds into high first round status.
I totally agree. If Deshaun Watson gets cleared of any scandal I'd give up the numerous 1st round picks it would take to get him because he's proven in the NFL. He's also 25.

Think about how much it costs to move up in the draft for untested college QBs. For RG3 the Redskins acquired the number 2 overall pick by giving the Rams their first-round picks in 2012 (No.6 overall), 2013 (No.22 overall), and 2014 (No.2 overall), as well as their second-round pick (No.39 overall) in 2012.

RG3 looked promising but he fizzled. He wasn't worth the package of picks. We know whichever team trades for Watson from the Texans gets a stud QB who should be a MVP candidate for maybe the next decade.

I think the only semi-possible scenario -- it is still very low odds -- to get Watson from the Texans would involve two transactions:

a) moving up to whatever slot makes sense pricewise between #4 and #5 (very expensive already)
b) offering the Texans that pick -- where they immediately take a QB this year -- and whatever else in collateral they ask for.

In terms of draft pipeline it most probably would set us back by 3-4 years while also paying Watson 10.5M, 35M, 37M (all fully guaranteed). On the flipside the risk is much lower than just doing a) and going for a rookie because you already know who Watson is. Also, Deshaun is pretty young (25) so you'd look (hopefully) at a long term investment.

It would open a window for us to easily compete for a title in the next 2-3 years until the missing drafts really catch up and then we either would have to start backloading contracts Saints style to prolong the party or just accept another rebuild but this time with a franchise QB already on board.

Of course that is close to the ideal case because injuries and other season changing stuff can happen in an instant as the Saints experienced in the last couple of years.

The final piece of the puzzle is whether BB and McDaniels wouldn't actually prefer developing a young QB themselves and sculpting him exactly to their vision. This is something nobody has really talked about but I can see them being excited at a chance to do that.
I Don't know. I think if BB wants to get the record for most Wins he could see a vet more likely to get it instead with developing a rookie. Depends on how long he wants to keep coaching. Either of those qb in the draft could end up a bust. Watson is a proven but still young qb who can do almost everything like you mentioned. Depends on what they want but idk if I have a Chance at Watson for 3 firsts a second a player idk or use two firsts to trade up for a qb in draft i might prefer Watson. This doesn't mean i like the idea of trading up in draft. I like lance i would be thrilled if we could add him. I have no idea what Houston would ask for Watson. His salary is fine to me when i compare it to other contracts like prescott

Wilson is not being traded as evidenced by the Bears’ rejected offer. Watson can’t be traded as it looks like he’s headed towards a long suspension.

Wilson is not being traded as evidenced by the Bears’ rejected offer. Watson can’t be traded as it looks like he’s headed towards a long suspension.
No on either one

If it was me, I’d do a move up or trade. This means bb will trade down and get a bunch of late round picks

If it was me, I’d do a move up or trade. This means bb will trade down and get a bunch of late round picks

Amen brother! These past six drafts have been head scratchers.

we just had to sign a bunch of free agents to fill the holes from his past 5 failed drafts,

After the 2010 draft, people were excited and bursting with optimism,

now after a draft, people are confused and disappointed and left saying “in bill we trust”.

that is no way to run a football team!

Put your money where your mouth is, Ochmed. Submit your illustrious resume to Bob. I'll wait.

Put your money where your mouth is, Ochmed. Submit your illustrious resume to Bob. I'll wait.
Next time we are in Jupiter together I will bring it up!

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back