PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do any other fans feel cheated by the playoffs and this Giants rematch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have convinced me that your tremendous lack of understanding what you are talking about is only exceeded by your desire to make up 1000 word post that prove it.
I won't be responding any more.

So have your ridiculous examples and poor usage of a stat you clearly have no idea how to use.

And thank God. Hope you keep your promise. Cause you sir, clearly aren't worth me taking my time to give you in-depth explanations:D

Last edited:
I'll only feel cheated if we lose. If we win, now that's a different story! ;)

I'll only feel cheated if we lose. If we win, now that's a different story! ;)

Thank you Deb for standing up and not letting me hang out to dry as the only person that has this sentiment! You have more guts than most Pats fans that call themselves real fans.

And you should, and be angry about it. They don't deserve the chance to touch greatness.:D

I would personally feel cheated either way. If we lose, for the NFL helping some scrub team get through again. And if we win, for not giving us the opportunity so we can earn some cred by beating a real team.

Even if we beat them, it's not like they got a freaking 18-0 record. That's not going to make up for it. The only thing that will make up for that is if we turn into some scrub team, barely make the playoffs and make the Super Bowl, and then kick their ass.

And I'll die an old men before the Giants ever go 18-0.

But the Giants can't even score 11 points on Washington in December in NJ! 11? Can't even beat them in Washington. So shouldn't they be skiing? What are they doing here? That's all I'm saying.

And what's with the bragging about winning away from home as if it was an accomplishment? If we shared a stadium with the Jets we wouldn't to play there either. No wonder the Giants play better on the road. Beats playing at home!

But really how does a team that wins only 9 regular games, gets demolished by Washington twice, ripped by the Seahawks, beat by GB in when GB is on its game, beat by the 49ers decisively in the regular season, trampled by the Saints....get to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl as the best of the NFC when they barely put up a FG to get past the 49ers when the 49ers decided to enter full ****** mode?

I mean if GB must be on its game every game in the playoffs in order to continue, are the Giants going to guarantee us that they are going to be on their game in the Super Bowl? Can they actually win a decisive victory? Or is it only if we lay down for them? Or maybe Mary is going to have to come through again?

I mean what's the game plan? "Boy I sure hope our fearsome D can hold the Patriots off on 5 offensive possessions until our "fearsome" wide receivers can get us in a position to score a FG? Scratch that.. "Hope the Patriots offense stumbles for 5 possessions and let us go to over time and then maybe their punt returner can give us the ball so we can score? "

And since the Giants don't really have a home, and it's on record according to the Manning brothers, they're playing at home are they going to blow the the damn Super Bowl as the "favorites" in front of their home fans...?

Come on, get real. Can't they at least admit they got lucky and aren't even the best team in the NFC? Why does everyone have to put on a front? There's no shame in getting lucky to make the Super Bowl. It's ok. You did it before. What's the big deal? Cardinals did it in 2008. Tebow....well Tebow beat the hell out of a top Steelers defense, but still....even Tebow was 8-8 and nearly made it....well then he ran into the Patriots. But that's beside the point.

What's there to be ashamed about? You caught GB on a bad day, pulled a fast one on them, let the 49ers take out the Saints for you, and then had a couple of whistles left and right while the 49ers were busy recovering from concussions and.....here you are. What's there not to be proud of? Champions!

If the "better" teams can't beat the Giants in the playoffs, they don't deserve to move on.

But the Giants can't even score 11 points on Washington in December in NJ! 11? Can't even beat them in Washington. So shouldn't they be skiing? What are they doing here? That's all I'm saying.

And what's with the bragging about winning away from home as if it was an accomplishment? If we shared a stadium with the Jets we wouldn't to play there either. No wonder the Giants play better on the road. Beats playing at home!

But really how does a team that wins only 9 regular games, gets demolished by Washington twice, ripped by the Seahawks, beat by GB in when GB is on its game, beat by the 49ers decisively in the regular season, trampled by the Saints....get to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl as the best of the NFC when they barely put up a FG to get past the 49ers when the 49ers decided to enter full ****** mode?

I mean if GB must be on its game every game in the playoffs in order to continue, are the Giants going to guarantee us that they are going to be on their game in the Super Bowl? Can they actually win a decisive victory? Or is it only if we lay down for them? Or maybe Mary is going to have to come through again?

I mean what's the game plan? "Boy I sure hope our fearsome D can hold the Patriots off on 5 offensive possessions until our "fearsome" wide receivers can get us in a position to score a FG? Scratch that.. "Hope the Patriots offense stumbles for 5 possessions and let us go to over time and then maybe their punt returner can give us the ball so we can score? "

And since the Giants don't really have a home, and it's on record according to the Manning brothers, they're playing at home are they going to blow the the damn Super Bowl as the "favorites" in front of their home fans...?

Come on, get real. Can't they at least admit they got lucky and aren't even the best team in the NFC? Why does everyone have to put on a front? There's no shame in getting lucky to make the Super Bowl. It's ok. You did it before. What's the big deal? Cardinals did it in 2008. Tebow....well Tebow beat the hell out of a top Steelers defense, but still....even Tebow was 8-8 and nearly made it....well then he ran into the Patriots. But that's beside the point.

What's there to be ashamed about? You caught GB on a bad day, pulled a fast one on them, let the 49ers take out the Saints for you, and then had a couple of whistles left and right while the 49ers were busy recovering from concussions and.....here you are. What's there not to be proud of? Champions!

The 2001 Patriots were 5-5 at one point. In their first playoff game, the game was over if not for the tuck rule, and a FG that Adam Vinatieri himself said he may make 10 times out of 100. You don't think a tremendous amount of luck was involved in that game? Against Pittsburgh, a penalty forces a re-punt which Troy Brown takes to the house. No luck there at all.

In 2004, we lost to a 2-11 team in Week 15. A month later, we played the AFC Championship against the #1 seed Pittsburgh, a team that destroyed us earlier in the season. How did us beating the Steelers in that game after losing in the regular season prove MORE than the Giants beating the Packers and 49ers in the playoffs? Shouldn't the Steelers have gotten another shot? Based on regular season records, the best team in the AFC DID NOT face the Eagles that season. The Eagles were cheated!

Do you seriously not understand that based on your reasonings, the Patriots do not deserve 2 of their 3 Super Bowl titles?

The 2001 Patriots were 5-5 at one point. In their first playoff game, the game was over if not for the tuck rule, and a FG that Adam Vinatieri himself said he may make 10 times out of 100. You don't think a tremendous amount of luck was involved in that game? Against Pittsburgh, a penalty forces a re-punt which Troy Brown takes to the house. No luck there at all.

In 2004, we lost to a 2-11 team in Week 15. A month later, we played the AFC Championship against the #1 seed Pittsburgh, a team that destroyed us earlier in the season. How did us beating the Steelers in that game after losing in the regular season prove MORE than the Giants beating the Packers and 49ers in the playoffs? Shouldn't the Steelers have gotten another shot? Based on regular season records, the best team in the AFC DID NOT face the Eagles that season. The Eagles were cheated!

Do you seriously not understand that based on your reasonings, the Patriots do not deserve 2 of their 3 Super Bowl titles?
All 3 actually, because he would call Carolina an unworthy SB opponent.

The NY Giants are the best team in the NFC. They are the only team from that conference that did not lose its last game.

So? Round-robin wouldn't prevent teams from getting lucky within games. This goes for everybody. Patriots aren't exempt but the Patriots aren't scared. They would embrace having to face all the champions. Tom Brady would love it. So would Bill. And So would the Patriots. Everybody gets tested. Everybody gets the same opportunity and the same opponents.

I feel fine with putting the Patriots through round-robin even the 2001 Patriots. That was an 11-5 team with 2 losses coming when starting Bledsoe. Tom was 11-3. I know a quarterback with a .823 record in the playoffs would have won more not fewer Super Bowls. A team with a 80% percent chance of winning a single elimination tournament has a slightly greater chance of winning a round robin tournament because there's less of a chance of the 20% crap team rearing its ugly head and knocking you completely out. It forces that team to prove itself and pass the test, not just get lucky against one team. I'm not worried about the 2001 Patriots.

This isn't about the Patriots or the 2001 Patriots. I know the Patriots can beat just about anybody. You know the Patriots can beat just about anybody. We all know that. They did make the Super Bowl beating everybody. They proved it year after year. We're not the ones that have anything to prove guys!

I am worried about the 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 Patriots not getting a fair shot. These are the teams that get screwed over by single elimination. Great teams who bust their ass for nothing and get a bad draw in the playoffs and are out or worse, face the dead-end of another winning team's "bad draw".

This team doesn't "get lucky". It's damn good and people should have more respect and fans should have more faith. It's damn good in the regular season, playoffs or Super Bowl. Doesn't freaking matter. But it gets screwed over by single elimination because single elimination favors crappy teams and luck! And that's a fact. Look it up. That's the part you guys don't understand. Consistent winning teams, like us, get screwed over by single elimination so crap teams can benefit. In winning or losing.

When a team makes the Super Bowl 5 times in 11 years, with single elimination, you don't need to worry about luck. It's about consistency. It's about being good. So are they going to lose some playoff games? Sure. They going to lose some Super Bowls? Sure. But this is a .800+ team, whether that means regular season, playoffs or Super Bowl. Manning or no Manning in the playoffs or Super Bowl. Either way we'd come out ahead. But we'd look even better because when we would win, we'd win against tougher teams and when we'd lose, we'd lose against tougher teams. There would be no shame in going 18-0 and losing a Super Bowl. Ever. And no team should feel ashamed by that but we did, because it was the freaking Giants.

Ever since Brady and Bill teamed up:
-Brady's got a .80+ regular season winning record over 10 freaking years with the Pats.
-He's got an .823 playoffs regular season winning record over 10 freaking years. Better than his regular season winning record.

Do you know the only thing that doesn't match up? His Super Bowl record.

It's .75.

And he would have a perfect 100% super bowl winning record if it wasn't for the opportunistic and lucky Giants, or a crappy playoff format.

You know what 3-2 would make it? A .60.

You know what 4 out of 5 means?

.80!

Coincidence? Or is it what it's supposed to be? Cause that's what this team is. Whether that means regular season, playoff season or "Super Bowl season", this is a .800 team. And that's exactly what it will be. Cause the Super Bowl, after making it 5 times in 11 years it's almost its own season now. And that's just the type of team this organization puts together. An .800+ team. It would have been even better if it wasn't for a crappy playoff system.

Last edited:
PatriotSeven, shut up already would you. Nobody agrees with you. Move on.

Last edited:
PatriotSeven, shut up already would you. Nobody agrees with you. Move on.

WHAT? Don't sit there and tell me nobody agrees when it's right there in front of your eyes. The majority of people agree! Most are silent about it, but they do I assure you, if you would just look.

If they didn't agree then after the Giants beat the Patriots, GB, 49ers, and made the Super Bowl....they would be getting picked as the favorites. Most people would be putting their millions on them, not us! Wake up man!

CLEARLY everybody agrees and are saying it loud and clear again with their freaking money despite everything the Giants accomplished, despite us losing to them in the Super Bowl and the regular season, they still bet on us.

Can you see us beating GB, 49ers, Saints all the way into the Super Bowl and not get picked as the favorites by Vegas? What does that tell you about people and the Giants? They don't believe the playoffs proves anything.

That screams it loud and freaking clear: They don't trust the Giants because they don't trust the playoffs! The Giants didn't earn people's trust by getting through the playoffs. They are not convinced.

What does that tell you about the population's opinion of the playoffs? They clearly feel the same way I do.

Last edited:
I am worried about the 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 Patriots not getting a fair shot. These are the teams that get screwed over by single elimination. Great teams who bust their ass for nothing and get a bad draw in the playoffs and are out or worse, face the dead-end of another winning team's "bad draw".

I"m going to concentrate on this one part of your response. You basically contradict and destroy your whole argument in this one paragraph.

The New York Giants, the #4 seed, beat the #5 seed, beat the #1 seed on the road and then beat the #2 seed on the road. They are "unfairly" in the Super Bowl.

The 2006 Patriots, the #4 seed, beat the #5 seed, beat the #1 seed on the road and then lost to the #3 seed on the road. They got "screwed by single elimination."

Also, earlier in the thread you pointed out the horrible Giants losing to the lowly Redkins, only scoring 10 points in one of those games. The 2006 Patriots lost 21-0 to a 6-10 Miami Dolphins team in Week 14.

Also, really? Did you really just say the 2009 Patriots were a great team that got screwed over by a bad playoff system? A 10-6 team that went 2-6 on the road, with the only wins coming against Buffalo and a crappy Bucs team in London, was a great team, but you're going to call the 9-7 Giants a joke and a result of a bad playoff system? Do you know how ridiculous you sound?

I"m going to concentrate on this one part of your response. You basically contradict and destroy your whole argument in this one paragraph.

The New York Giants, the #4 seed, beat the #5 seed, beat the #1 seed on the road and then beat the #2 seed on the road. They are "unfairly" in the Super Bowl.

The 2006 Patriots, the #4 seed, beat the #5 seed, beat the #1 seed on the road and then lost to the #3 seed on the road. They got "screwed by single elimination."

Also, earlier in the thread you pointed out the horrible Giants losing to the lowly Redkins, only scoring 10 points in one of those games. The 2006 Patriots lost 21-0 to a 6-10 Miami Dolphins team in Week 14.

Also, really? Did you really just say the 2009 Patriots were a great team that got screwed over by a bad playoff system? A 10-6 team that went 2-6 on the road, with the only wins coming against Buffalo and a crappy Bucs team in London, was a great team, but you're going to call the 9-7 Giants a joke and a result of a bad playoff system? Do you know how ridiculous you sound?

How am I destroying my argument? Round Robin would test those Patriots teams just like the Giants team should have gotten tested this year. Is it really that hard to understand dude?

I'm not saying that the Giants wouldn't have made the Super Bowl by going to round-robin. If they are as good as they are, they should. We just don't know. What I'm telling is that would make it definitive.

Nobody freaking agrees they are that good, or else they would be picking them, despite their accomplishments. I don't believe it because of a million of other reasons. But the majority of people doesn't believe them either.

What I am explaining to you is that just because you lose your first playoff game to a completely freaking team, like the Saints this year, it doesn't mean the Saints would have not turned out to be the best team in the NFC this year and made it to the Super Bowl. It also doesn't mean the Giants still wouldn't have. It certainly doesn't mean the 49ers couldn't have. Or Green Bay. We will never know.

And it certainly doesn't mean any of the Patriots teams couldn't have. What it does mean is that there is at least one additional Super Bowl that we are missing because we are in single elimination.

I don't know which one of those freaking teams it would have been, but at least one of those 5 Patriots teams would have won an additional Super Bowl with a round robin tournament. And it's also very likely the 2007 Patriots would have played a different team. Not the Giants.

Last edited:
WHAT? Don't sit there and tell me nobody agrees when it's right there in front of your eyes. The majority of people agree! Most are silent about it, but they do I assure you, if you would just look.

If they didn't agree then after the Giants beat the Patriots, GB, 49ers, and made the Super Bowl....they would be getting picked as the favorites. Most people would be putting their millions on them, not us! Wake up man!

CLEARLY everybody agrees and are saying it loud and clear again with their freaking money despite everything the Giants accomplished, despite us losing to them in the Super Bowl and the regular season, they still bet on us.

Can you see us beating GB, 49ers, Saints all the way into the Super Bowl and not get picked as the favorites by Vegas? What does that tell you about people and the Giants? They don't believe the playoffs proves anything.

That screams it loud and freaking clear: They don't trust the Giants because they don't trust the playoffs! The Giants didn't earn people's trust by getting through the playoffs. They are not convinced.

What does that tell you about the population's opinion of the playoffs? They clearly feel the same way I do.

Where did you get the info that "everyone" is betting on the Patriots? I don't bet, but I discuss it weekly with one of the vendors at work and he says everyone he knows is putting their money on the Giants. He himself, (a non Patriots or Giants fan) said early on he would put money on the Giants but now has second thoughts because the betting is so one-sided. In his experience, that's when that team ends up losing.

The majority of people agree!

The majority of people are totally amazed that this stupid one-star-rated thread, which earns one star because zero stars isn't an available option, is still going.

I know I (sadly) just bumped it, but this thread is a massive black hole of ignorance, and I will make an effort to not get sucked in. Rather just take a quick peek, then pass right through to avoid losing brain cells.

How am I destroying my argument? Round Robin would test those Patriots teams just like the Giants team should have gotten tested this year. Is it really that hard to understand dude?

I'm no saying that the Giants wouldn't have made the Super Bowl by going to round-robin. If they are as good as they are, they should. We just don't know. What I'm telling is that would make it definitive.

Nobody freaking agrees they are that good, or else they would be picking them, despite their accomplishments. I don't believe it because of a million of other reasons. But the majority of people doesn't believe them either.

What I am explaining to you is that just because you lose your first playoff game to a completely freaking team, like the Saints this year, it doesn't mean the Saints would have not turned out to be the best team in the NFC this year and made it to the Super Bowl. It also doesn't mean the Giants still wouldn't have. It certainly doesn't mean the 49ers couldn't have. Or Green Bay. We will never know.

And it certainly doesn't mean any of the Patriots teams couldn't have. What it does mean is that there is at least one additional Super Bowl that we are missing because we are in single elimination.

I don't know which one of those freaking teams it would have been, but at least one of those 5 Patriots teams would have won an additional Super Bowl with a round robin tournament. And it's also very likely the 2007 Patriots would have played a different team. Not the Giants.

Mr. PatriotSeven, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Where did you get the info that "everyone" is betting on the Patriots? I don't bet, but I discuss it weekly with one of the vendors at work and he says everyone he knows is putting their money on the Giants. He himself, (a non Patriots or Giants fan) said early on he would put money on the Giants but now has second thoughts because the betting is so one-sided. In his experience, that's when that team ends up losing.

Uhm anyone that's betting on football? Who do you think is paying out 3 to 1? The minority?

That's fine that he's trying to figure it out and is betting on another upset. It's not impossible. That doesn't change the fact most people are still betting on the Pats. And if the playoffs were worth a damn or what the Giants did, nobody would be afraid betting on a team that just beat the 15-1 GB and 13-3 49ers as well as the Patriots themselves when facing the Patriots again the same season.

It would be an easy pick.

Clearly either people are smart and can see the Giants aren't good and barely getting by, the playoffs not really meaning anything, and they still decide to go with the Patriots with the "sucky defense" and the "untested wins over winning teams". Etc.

If we both went through round-robin, and made it out, you know what the spread would be? Probably dead even.

That's how well it picks the strongest teams in the final game. And the strongest team, isn't always the one with the winning record. This year I think it was, but not always.

The reason the OP has such a fundamentally flawed perspective on who the "best" teams are, is because he clearly doesn't understand that Fantasy FootBall teams rarely win Championships.

For 90 years, the fields've been littered with Madden All Star Teams that withered and died as soon as the weather turned cold...and met their fates at the merciless, unforgiving hands of tough, physical teams that beat the crap out of the Glamor Boys and won The Battle of the Trenches.

~ The 2011 Packers and Saints were built to make the PlayOffs.

~ The 2011 Patriots and Giants were built to win the PlayOffs.

So leaving yourself dangerously thin (in bodies and talent) at the Safety position is a way to win the Playoffs?

Signing dead-weight like Ocho, Hanyesworth and (I'm sorry but is he really worth a roster spot?) Kevin Faulk is a way to build your team for post-season success?

Yeah, no. The Pats weren't "built" (and by that I mean their off-season moves) to win in the playoffs.

News Flash: The Patriots are in the Super Bowl.

5 Times in 11 years.

3 Championships and counting.

So, yeah: I guess they were built to win in the PlayOffs.

See how that works?? :)

No?? No...I didn't think so. :bricks:

The reason the OP has such a fundamentally flawed perspective on who the "best" teams are, is because he clearly doesn't understand that Fantasy FootBall teams rarely win Championships.

For 90 years, the fields've been littered with Madden All Star Teams that withered and died as soon as the weather turned cold...and met their fates at the merciless, unforgiving hands of tough, physical teams that beat the crap out of the Glamor Boys and won The Battle of the Trenches.

~ The 2011 Packers and Saints were built to make the PlayOffs.

~ The 2011 Patriots and Giants were built to win the PlayOffs.

And it's clear to me you can't tell the difference between someone talking about the difference between a single elimination and a round-robin playoff format.

Trying to equate the round-robin playoff format which has been proven repeatedly to test the best teams to fantasy football is just plain ridiculous.

This is that same old mentality, if it's different than what it is, it must suck.

Oh, I understood your point.

We all did.

It's just that it's a silly undertaking: trying to fix a system that works fine.

And it's clearly undertaken because you view the FootBall world through Fantasy FootBall glasses, though you're clearly uncomfortable admitting that. :)

Oh, I understood your point.

We all did.

It's just that it's a silly undertaking: trying to fix a system that works fine.

And it's clearly undertaken because you view the FootBall world through Fantasy FootBall glasses, though you're clearly uncomfortable admitting that. :)

It works fine as long as you are not concerned without actually finding out who the best team is.

It works fine as long as you are not bothered by the fact that a consistent winning team and organization, like the Patriots will without a doubt, win less tournaments than they deserve.

It works fine as long as you are not bothered by weak teams finding the way into their Super Bowls versus either incredibly strong opponents, or other very weak teams.

It works fine as long as you are not bothered by weak seeds getting home games, losing teams making the playoffs and super bowl, etc.

It works fine as long as you don't care about being fair.

When it comes to figuring out who the best team in the NFC, AFC or NFL, it doesn't work fine. It is without a doubt, the worst possible playoff system to determine a true Champion.

The only thing this playoff system is good for is football betting and creating a lot of upsets. But it's not any good for actually determining who's really the top 4 teams in the NFL or the best team in football. That has little to nothing to do with the Super Bowl winner.

Last edited:
This thread is actually getting FUNNIER as it goes ALONG!! :D

Page 32 is HILARIOUS!! :singing:

PatriotSeven, shut up already would you.

Nobody agrees with you.

Move on.

WHAT?

Don't sit there and tell me nobody agrees when it's right there in front of your eyes.

The majority of people agree!

Most are silent about it, but they do I assure you, if you would just look.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Dude, that is flat out SCARY!! :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes