PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Disappointing...Not one Congrats Steelers thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you beat my team, I'd go over and shake your hand and wish you luck. Beyond that, you're asking for something -- admiration -- that either comes spontaneously or it doesn't.

I admire the way in which the Steelers won three games on the road -- especially the games in Denver and Indianapolis (despite being subject to terrible refereeing in that last game). It's certainly true that Pittsburgh came out ahead in the worst Superbowl I have ever seen. It's possible that they would have still come out ahead if the refereeing had not been atrocious.

I congratulated my friend Wayne on the Steelers' victory: he's a fine guy and he had been waiting a long time. I'm happy that it made him happy to have the victory. Am I happy for the pond scum who come to this board to boast about the Steelers? Do I think the Steelers' victory deserves admiration?

You've got to be kidding.

I dont respect the Steelers.

No one can convince me that Palmers injury wasnt cheapshot. It was a dive straight to the knee while grabbing Palmers ankle.

A few weeks ago Hine Ward was on Jim Rome and said "Pitt was still the best team in the AFC even though NE soundly beat them last year in the 2004 AFCC" The Steelers have always badmouthed the Pats ever since the 2001 AFCC.

mgteich said:
Why does Cinci get a free pass because Palmer was hurt? Were they better than the pats or better than the team who took apart INDY and DEN? Maybe CIN was the best in the league with Palmer, and maybe not. Given how well PITT played against INDY and DEN, I would guess not. But, we'll never know.
Pittsburgh may have won but Palmer's 60 yard completion on his first play makes you wonder. It was also a borderline dirty play. All I'm saying is that, yes, Pittsburgh won. They are the champions. But we don't need a Steeler Congratulation thread here.

Triumph said:
No one can convince me that Palmers injury wasnt cheapshot. It was a dive straight to the knee while grabbing Palmers ankle.
From the consensus I've heard, most people think it looked like a cheap shot but are hesitant to really think it was as Kimo Van (whatever) is not considered a dirty player.

Congratulations Steelers. I actually (though slightly reluctantly) like the Pittsburgh organization.

To be the Champion, you must do better than everyone else. Pittsburgh did.

If we are completely honest, this whole championship was there for the taking for the Patriots. We fell, we shot ourselves down against Denver. The Steelers didn't. They were the best playoff team this year.

Sure, they played muck in XL. Ben was horrendous. The officiating was apalling. But lets remember, given that Seattle blew every opportunity they had to win the game (and they had many - despite the refs' performance) the Steelers are legit Champions.

The whole season was a bit rubbish to be honest, and won't be remembered outside of Indy (blew their best chance) and Pitt (took their best chance when everybody else showed just how incompetent they could be). But lets give out the credit, so that it comes back graciously when we win #4 next year.

Congrats Pittsburgh. Don't get too comfortable.

Last edited:
NE_Paddy said:
Congratulations Steelers. I actually (though slightly reluctantly) like the Pittsburgh organization.

To be the Champion, you must do better than everyone else. Pittsburgh did.

If we are completely honest, this whole championship was there for the taking for the Patriots. We fell, we shot ourselves down against Denver. The Steelers didn't. They were the best playoff team this year.

Sure, they played muck in XL. Ben was horrendous. The officiating was apalling. But lets remember, given that Seattle blew every opportunity they had to win the game (and they had many - despite the refs' performance) the Steelers are legit Champions.

The whole season was a bit rubbish to be honest, and won't be remembered outside of Indy (blew their best chance) and Pitt (took their best chance when everybody else showed just how incompetent they could be). But lets give out the credit, so that it comes back graciously when we win #4 next year.

Congrats Pittsburgh. Don't get too comfortable.

Thank you and thank you to mgteich for the supportive posts. To the rest who have posted in this thread, you misconstrued my point. I wasn't asking for you to even like the Steelers. I wasn't suggesting that you have all this newfound respect for the Steelers. I was just asking for sportsmanship. A congratultions request is nothing more than a handshake. Simple as that. And by the way, if you research my 10 last posts or so you will see that I gave nothing but huge props to the Patriots, organization, and fans. I overestimated the ability to accept a handshake for the new champion. Lots of excellent football talk on this board. Too bad it doesn't translate to sportsmanship on this subject absent a few.

Congrats to the Steelers. They proved me wrong 4 straight games;)

Seriously, congrats to the Steelers and most importantly their fans. I give major props to them since they do travel well.

Last edited:
mgteich said:
Patriot fans here have lost all rights to claim that they are any better than PITT fans of this year or past years, Raider fans every year, and other fans that refuse to recognize victories other than their own.

And please forget complaining about disrespect. If we can't respect what PITT did in this post season, then we deserve none ourselves.

I guess all fans whose team loses are whiners. I thought we had much more class. I guess we show class only when we win.

I guess someone handed you a gown and gavel this morning?

Personally I had a great deal of respect for what Pitt and Seattle accomplished in the post season, right up to the SB. BOTH Pitt and Seattle played the biggest game of the season, not to loose (a direct affect of post season officiating) IMO. Consequently, I felt cheated after watching that game. Where was the all out, b#lls to the wall, play that got the Steelers to the SB? Where was Troy? Where was Joey? Seattle seemed to have the answer for the Pitt's vaunted defense for the much of the game. Seattle just couldn't finish what they started, lousy time managment, etc, etc. I'm more inclined to start a sympathy thread to the Steelers, to win the biggest game of your life with this kind of controversy hanging over it must just stink! :(

PATSummerallofthe80s said:
Thank you and thank you to mgteich for the supportive posts. To the rest who have posted in this thread, you misconstrued my point. I wasn't asking for you to even like the Steelers. I wasn't suggesting that you have all this newfound respect for the Steelers. I was just asking for sportsmanship. A congratultions request is nothing more than a handshake. Simple as that. And by the way, if you research my 10 last posts or so you will see that I gave nothing but huge props to the Patriots, organization, and fans. I overestimated the ability to accept a handshake for the new champion. Lots of excellent football talk on this board. Too bad it doesn't translate to sportsmanship on this subject absent a few.
I weep for "sportsmanship". Boo ******* hoo.

mgteich said:
Patriot fans here have lost all rights to claim that they are any better than PITT fans of this year or past years, Raider fans every year, and other fans that refuse to recognize victories other than their own.

And please forget complaining about disrespect. If we can't respect what PITT did in this post season, then we deserve none ourselves.

I guess all fans whose team loses are whiners. I thought we had much more class. I guess we show class only when we win.

Speak for yourself, buddy.

It isn't whining to call a turd product a turd product. If you bought a Lexus and it drove like a Hyundai you'd be pissed too.

What fans of other teams did for years is nothing like what many of us are doing now. What we're doing now is demanding a better product than the watered down zebrafest we got from the playoffs and superbowl this season.

If you'd like to believe that it's the same as when the Raiders fans show up and say 2001* then knock yourself out. But I'm not going to be happy watching this new NFL if they keep this nonsense up. If you could watch the Denver game, the Pitt/Indy game, and especially the shammed SB and be happy then I guess I'll just say 'to each their own'. But I'm not into buying third rate products

The behavior of Steelers fans has no effect on my behavior. I'm a grown man, and I don't let other people dictate what my actions and attitude will be.

Congratulations to the Steelers. Considering how you got there, the Super Bowl win is well deserved. I look forward to seeing the Pats knock off the Steelers in the playoffs next year. But in the meantime, enjoy the victory.

I was just asking for sportsmanship. A congratultions request is nothing more than a handshake. Simple as that. Too bad it doesn't translate to sportsmanship on this subject absent a few.

Give me a freakin' break! Where was the SPORTSMANSHIP from Steelers fans when they booed Brady and Branch at the pre-game ceremony honoring Super Bowl MVPs? Where was the SPORTSMANSHIP in Franco Harris waving the T.T. during the MVP ceremony? Where was the SPORTSMANSHIP in Joey Porter's trash-talking? Where was the SPORTSMANSHIP from Steelers fans who booed Brady even louder during the coin toss? Where was the SPORTSMANSHIP from Steelers players who refused to give Brady a HANDSHAKE before and after the coin toss? I could go on and on about the lack of SPORTSMANSHIP exhibited by the Steelers and their fans, some of which I've experienced personally and undeservedly. To come here ASKING for congratulations seems a bit odd to begin with, other factors (itemized in my prior post) notwithstanding. Seems to me you're not feeling too good about the Steelers' championship (probably for good reason) and are looking elsewhere to get it legitimized.

Last edited:

I for one was very glad to see no one stepped down to congratulate them on an undeserved win. As far as I'm concerned the earned score in that game was Seattle 17 Pittsburgh 14. So Congrats Seattle.

Last edited:
Brownfan80 said:

It isn't whining to call a turd product a turd product. If you bought a Lexus and it drove like a Hyundai you'd be pissed too.

What fans of other teams did for years is nothing like what many of us are doing now. What we're doing now is demanding a better product than the watered down zebrafest we got from the playoffs and superbowl this season.

If you'd like to believe that it's the same as when the Raiders fans show up and say 2001* then knock yourself out. But I'm not going to be happy watching this new NFL if they keep this nonsense up. If you could watch the Denver game, the Pitt/Indy game, and especially the shammed SB and be happy then I guess I'll just say 'to each their own'. But I'm not into buying third rate products

There's plenty to be pissed about. Plenty to keep us and the players hungry for next year. We're addicted to championships, and the absence of one this year means we will kill to get one next year.

The shift in officiating all season should, rightfully, draw ire.

I wasn't happy watching the Super Bowl, it was a bad game.

But sack it up dude, it's Pittsburgh's name on the Lombardi this year, not ours. None of the above can wipe that off. And for that reason I say Congrats Steelers.

Pats67 said:
I weep for "sportsmanship". Boo ******* hoo.

:rofl:

I too weep....

Doesn't it seem like there should be a bible verse for this one - and the little troll shall lead them all in the path of righteousness...oh wait, what about that part about reaping what you sow.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'd almost feel sorry for Steelers fans because it has to really bite to win a championship after 26 years only to have the entire sports world consumed with talking about how it was one of the worst played not to mention the worst officiated game in Superbowl history.

But then I remember they are Steeler fans. Check out other teams boards in the wake of their "win" (give Indy Star a try) and you will see plenty of examples of their arrogant, ignorant, delusional mentality. They can't even be gracious when handed one for the thumb, so mg and PATthetroll will have to excuse me if far as I'm concerned they can shove that one up their collective asses. :D

My inate desire to be fair is a little tied up at the moment in grave concern for the integrity of the entire league going forward. :eek:

Then I suggest that you don't watch. That's the American way. Whining is not.

Brownfan80 said:

stars not properly aligned

mgteich said:
well, summerall, i'd have chipped in if there had been a thread, but clearly the folks on this messageboard don't want to have one.
summerall, i've liked the steelers for a long time. fate has put these teams in positions where heads have butted a lot. i do truly enjoy wins over the steelers more than with other teams (dolts excluded).
i rooted for steelers super sunday. i thought either team was well capable of winning the game, but all the mistakes kept the contest much closer than it should have been.
the officiating was as bizarre as any i've EVER seen in 45 years of watching nfl (and afl) games. there were so many wrong calls & non-calls by the nfl's so-called "best officials"l. even had seattle somehow stumbled into winning the game, i'd question the legitimacy of their victory. of COURSE i've seen the refs directly affect the outcome of a game. but i don't think i've ever seen a game with so many outregeously bad calls that i wondered (hoped) the nfl supervisor of officials wouled replace the crew at halftime.
i still love/hate parker, bettis, porter, ward, randle el, rothelisberger, and so many other villians on the steelers.
but i'm glad to see your team holding the vince for the first in a long time.
but this is about the best i can do.
so congratulations!

Too funny. Steeler fans are still talking **** about us all over the internet, and you think you're "entitled" to some obligatory congrats thread HERE?
I'm sure there are plenty of handshakes over on the Steeler boards - where they belong. Who whines more - the fans or the players? I guess that's why they call them the Squealers.

"The best team did'nt win" wah, wah. Remember that one?
Short memories. Good luck next year, you're gonna need it.

mgteich said:

Actually that's not the issue for most - at least not me.

For me it would be like saying "Congratulations on winning the WORST Super Bowl of All Time"!

And while that's not what the Steelers fans really want to hear, everyone knows its true.

Last edited:
I have no interest in the officiating and all that. They won. Its about what's on the scoreboard at the end of the season. Talking about tainted championships and all that, and some kind of loss of faith/interest in the NFL, is just pointless, and pretty easy to say when there's no Pats game this Sunday.

But as far as being concilliatory towards the city of Pittsburgh and their football team, trying to win some sort of brownie points from the Internet Truth Squad, forget it. Again, somebody explain to me what I get for it. Does it make me a better anonymous person in the eyes of all the other anonymous people?

Screw Pittsburgh and the Steelers. That's about as concilliatory as I care to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes