PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dion Lewis echoing Bell

Status
Not open for further replies.

K. Dog

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Two of the most interesting plays against the Jets week 17 were Lewis' hesitation moves, where he just hangs back, waiting for an opening, like Le'Veon Bell or the mirror image of Ed Reed.

One play was on 1st and 10, Q3 5:20. The other particularly impressive move was at Q3 3:32 2nd and 5 (the two plays are at 3:03 and 3:28 in the video below):

These plays are potentially important if they reflect a new running strategy by Lewis. At least, I don't remember him hesitating as much in earlier games. Maybe watching Bell recently influenced him?

It's also important for the league if Bell's strategy is becoming popularized.

And, of course, if Harrison works out, and if the new running technique is a success, then the Patriots might have introduced two distinct game-changing tactics in this week 17 Jets game!

(For some other plays that Dion Lewis fans might be interested in, see my posts Intricate OL play on Lewis run in Bills game and Dion Lewis weaving his route against the Raiders )

Last edited:
Mirror image of Ed Reed? What are you trying to say? Dion has fumbilitis like Ed Reed did?o_O

Unlike Bell though, he seems to only do it situationally. Bell seems to do it almost all the time.

Unlike Bell though, he seems to only do it situationally. Bell seems to do it almost all the time.
He's experimenting. After analysis, he will do it more or less. Takes coordination with OL as well.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
It makes me really nervous to see a running back standing still amid the chaos of much larger bodies grappling to get at him. I have a lot more confidence when Dion is in motion, because he's amazing at evasive maneuvers and seems to pack a surprising punch with a low center of gravity - both of which are advantages. I just want him to stay healthy.

All credit goes to the OL for sustaining such long Blocks. That's what impresses me most about that Pitt OL they get the job done. Pats O-Line might be getting there as a whole. That said Shaq Mason should have been a Pro Bowler.

Because Dion is our Best Runner period no knock on Burkhead and James White best hands on Team. We can forget that The Cat can catch the Football too dual threat from the position. The Cat needs a extension.

"Hesitating"... Good
"Dancing"...Bad

We always justifiably complained about RB's that danced around behind the line of scrimmage. But I guess they were too busy with their dance moves to figure out where to go once the dance was over.

"Hesitating"... Good
"Dancing"...Bad

We always justifiably complained about RB's that danced around behind the line of scrimmage. But I guess they were too busy with their dance moves to figure out where to go once the dance was over.
Hilarious, the exact same thing people whine about when the blocking sucks becomes a great trait when the blocking is good.

Delayin’ Dion or Dancin Dion

Not a good idea to blow one's wad to early - patience is a key to success.

Cat like quickness

All-22 footage of those plays are now available.

tenor.gif

Hilarious, the exact same thing people whine about when the blocking sucks becomes a great trait when the blocking is good.

It's a funny point, but you really can tell the difference between guys like Dion and Maroney pretty easily.

It's a funny point, but you really can tell the difference between guys like Dion and Maroney pretty easily.
Not when Lewis hesitates. That’s just what maroney did when the hole wasn’t open.
People just want to believe otherwise.

I'll have to look into the actual stats, but I notice him getting burned off the same moves every so often as well and losing yards. Still a much better success rate than the guys who dance in the backfield for no reason.

Obviously he's not Barry Sanders, but...that's a Barry Sanders-like trait in both the good and the bad way.

All credit goes to the OL for sustaining such long Blocks. That's what impresses me most about that Pitt OL they get the job done. Pats O-Line might be getting there as a whole. That said Shaq Mason should have been a Pro Bowler.

A question for those that dissect video; does the blocking scheme change for this type of hesitation running? The blocking seems to be closer to pass blocking, with OL holding their blocks for an extended period before attempting to move to the next level. I seems this causes the next level (LB and safeties) to react and move closer to the line of scrimmage and get caught up around all those big bodies without those big bodies having to really move. Then the RB just makes a cut were a hole opens up and goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes