PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did we know how bad Brady's knee was back in 2008?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Tom Brady getting Better! (merged)

Great news glad to hear Brady's doin fine....

Please no more surgery for him this year. I can't take it.
Can't wait to see him play again next year.

ElAttrache wrote the textbook on sports injury surgery.

Surgical Techniques in Sports Medicine, Neal S. Elattrache, Book - Barnes & Noble

He's one of the top guys in the field.

Tiger Woods didn't go to James Andrews, either. He had his ACL reconstruction done by two other top guys in the field, Dr. Thomas D. Rosenberg and Dr. Vernon J. Cooley in Park City Utah. Rosenberg is a pioneer developer of some of the techniqus and surgical tools for knee reconstruction.

BTW, James Andrews is nearly 70 years old. While he's a very fine doctor, you generally look to the younger guys for the state of the art surgical chops at any given time. Reconstructive knee surgery has been evolving at a very rapid pace over the last five years or so.

This love-in for Andrews reminds me of the adoration for draft prospects for no reason beyond having heard the name.

If only Vernon Gholston had performed the surgery, Brady would be back playing this season. :D

ElAttrache wrote the textbook on sports injury surgery.

Surgical Techniques in Sports Medicine, Neal S. Elattrache, Book - Barnes & Noble

He's one of the top guys in the field.

Tiger Woods didn't go to James Andrews, either. He had his ACL reconstruction done by two other top guys in the field, Dr. Thomas D. Rosenberg and Dr. Vernon J. Cooley in Park City Utah. Rosenberg is a pioneer developer of some of the techniqus and surgical tools for knee reconstruction.

BTW, James Andrews is nearly 70 years old. While he's a very fine doctor, you generally look to the younger guys for the state of the art surgical chops at any given time. Reconstructive knee surgery has been evolving at a very rapid pace over the last five years or so.

This love-in for Andrews reminds me of the adoration for draft prospects for no reason beyond having heard the name.

I think Andrews is more like House, a genius diagnostician for sports injuries. I'm not sure how many actual procedures he performs.

I think Andrews is more like House, a genius diagnostician for sports injuries. I'm not sure how many actual procedures he performs.

Great.

"Has someone at least broken into his house to see what kind of candy the Patriots hand out? Cameron why are you staring at the underwear model that way?"

In that story about how Brady proposed to Gisele, she says that she told him not to kneel because he had had three surgeries on his leg because of staph infections.

Did we know that? I can't remember. I do remember Curran sounding alarm bells about the knee and being mocked (and mocked to this day) here over it.

I just remember the near-heart attack level stories about how he was possibly going to have to miss another season due to infections.

I do remember he had some infections from the surgery but us fans don't worry about it because we assume their doctors will make everything better.

In that story about how Brady proposed to Gisele, she says that she told him not to kneel because he had had three surgeries on his leg because of staph infections.

Did we know that? I can't remember. I do remember Curran sounding alarm bells about the knee and being mocked (and mocked to this day) here over it.

My panties were appropriately bunched, but I followed it more in the news than here.

Infection Complicates Knee Surgery Recovery for Patriots' QB Tom Brady
But the Boston Herald has reported that the infection is more serious than Brady's posting suggested. Citing an anonymous source, the Herald said Brady has actually undergone three washout procedures and that the infection stemmed from an unexpectedly complicated procedure.

In addition to the ACL tear, Brady's medial collateral ligament was also torn, the newspaper said. Dr. ElAttrache expected it to have healed in the four weeks after the initial injury, but discovered it was not when he attempted the ACL repair, according to the report. The Herald said he made a second incision to repair the MCL and the infection started there. Brady is now on a six-week course of intravenous antibiotics, according to the report.

Tom Brady and his knee infection
Update 10/24 –Boston Herald:
“According to the source, during the process of the reconstruction, while Brady was under anesthesia, ElAttrache realized the knee was still unstable after moving it around because the MCL hadn’t fully healed. It was decided at that point to also repair the MCL, and, according to the source, that’s the incision that ultimately became infected. To make the MCL more sound, ElAttrache had to make a separate incision from the portal hole used for the ACL repair, the source said.”

Famed sports orthopedist, Dr. James Andrews:
“Neal called me in confidence to run this problem by me to see what I thought . . . We went over that, one, he should be aggressive about going back in, don’t wait on it, don’t let [the infection] continue to declare itself. Get it washed out and scope it. And I said he’d probably have to re-scope it several more times to make sure he got it under control.”

Yeah, Curran pushed that panic button and the resultant mass hysteria was epic.
I remember someone on here e-mailed Curran about that and got a response that just said "FU".

The Neptune Society was contacted. (?)

I went looking in another direction, specifically Curran's story we all remember freaking everyone out. It's worth noting that NBC has purged all record of it. BSPN and other sites have links to Curran's 'inside scoop' at NBC but they and a site search turn up...nothing. A touch of revisionism covering Tom E's backside perhaps?

Ballbug: Brady behind schedule in recovery from surgery (Tom E. Curran/NBCSports.com: NFL)

Report: Infection ravaged Brady's knee

There were reports of Brady contracting an infection and having to have the knee "cleaned out" a couple of times, but the team was very hush hush about it and Brady himself downplayed any problems, so all us rose-colored glass folks decided he would be okay and we'd freak out only if he didn't come back the following season (which he did).

There wasn't anything about him having a staph infection or multiple staph infections that came out. This board would have melted down had there been.

This was a fun trip down memory lane

Bump .... merged these 2 from the date of the news Oct 23/Oct 24th 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill