PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deshaun Watson? (UPDATED: Caserio Says Team Has "no interest" in trading him)

Clearly with the coaching hire settled Watson has firmly decided he has played his last snap for the Texans.

My guess is that if Watson wants New York than the Jets will give up 4 first round picks. It's too much but as a moribund franchise they feel they have to do it to revive themselves.

But if I'm Watson you have to think that all the best young QBs are in the AFC - if you want to compete for a Super Bowl then you have to go through Mahomes/Trevor Lawrence/Joe Burrow/Lamar Jackson/Josh Allen/Justin Herbert/Baker Mayfield/Tua etc....
If you force a trade to the NFC then you have Brady/Brees/Aaron Rodgers - all of them in the final years of their career. Okay the younger QBs include Russel Wilson and Kyler Murray but Watson's probably better than them.

I think the teams which should give up multiple picks for Deshaun are the LA Rams, the WFT and maybe the 49ers - all play-off teams already and Watson could take all those teams up another level. All have their head coaches already in place and it makes sense for Watson who wouldn't be going to a bad team who are giving up many first rounders.

Another option would be if he managed to get himself to Atlanta Falcons (his home state is GA) but they need to start a rebuild too and would be in cap hell with Matty Ice for another year.
What’s really funny is the jets trade for Watson, he demands new up front money and a 3 year extension, they stink again in 2021 and he sees how great being a petulant child works and goes home, cuts off contact and demands a trade. There are enough desperate franchises in this league that he may be able to pull that one 4 times.

How much did the jete give up (in addition to tanking a season) to get Darnold only to tank another season and give up their next 3 drafts to replace him.
Comedy gold.
I’m beginning to think the jete could have drafted Tom Brady, or even signed him in his prime, and still never win anything.
Well, they’re the Jete. It should be noted, though, that I was talking about Sewell and not Watson. I think that’s who they want. They’ll build a wall in front of Darnold between he and Becton and try to salvage his career, IMO. I just don’t see them giving up that draft capital for Watson, but you never know. Too bad for them, though, that Darnold is likely already ruined.

Well, they’re the Jete. It should be noted, though, that I was talking about Sewell and not Watson. I think that’s who they want. They’ll build a wall in front of Darnold between he and Becton and try to salvage his career, IMO. I just don’t see them giving up that draft capital for Watson, but you never know. Too bad for them, though, that Darnold is likely already ruined.

I'm thrilled to stick with Sam and build around him.

Watson is just too good to pass up though.

I could live with four #1s to get Watson, but I'd prefer this...

View attachment 30024
Anyone who doesn't think Watson is going for three-four 1st is nuts. Adams garnered two 1st and a 3rd or 4th I believe. I mean we're talking about a QB in his prime that's never been consistently surrounded by a competent cast or staff. I'd give up three 1st and Jackson or Gilmore without blinking.

It’s a power play because the Texans could not trade him. Watson would obviously go into a hold out but in that case I read or heard somewhere that the Texans could fine Watson 50k a day if he is not playing. That’s 18M a year! Is Watson ready to lose all that money?

If I am an Owner that don’t want the players to gain power, that’s what I would do.

Edit: it’s 50k per training camp day missed, 100k if he miss minicamp, 620k per preseason game missed and I don’t how much for the regular season

Last edited:
It’s a power play because the Texans could not trade him. Watson would obviously go into a hold out but in that case I read or heard somewhere that the Texans could fine Watson 50k a day if he is not playing. That’s 18M a year! Is Watson ready to lose all that money?

If I am an Owner that don’t want the players to gain power, that’s what I would do.

Edit: it’s 50k per training camp day missed, 100k if he miss minicamp, 620k per preseason game missed and I don’t how much for the regular season

regular season would be 1/16th of his salary plus he has a $750,000 per game bonus so he would be losing (unlike the preseason where he would be fined, in the regular season they just lose their game checks), $1,246,875 per game missed.

This strategy worked out so will for Levon Bell, he will never recover the 14 million he left on the table in Pittsburgh. Watson can say anything he wants but he is not giving up that kind of money. The only caveat here is that he is not married, if he was, you could put it at 100% that he would not hold out in the regular season.

With the Pandemic, that's gonna end up chump change because training camp will be cut short, preseason and minicamps etc. skipped.

If Watson holds out he will have all the power. The Texans will be forced to trade him, the only question is who will pony up and how much capital will be given.

I wonder if a trade package featuring Gilmore and draft picks will be enough to entice the Texans. Also, would Watson give the nod to play for Belichick even if an offer was accepted?

With the Pandemic, that's gonna end up chump change because training camp will be cut short, preseason and minicamps etc. skipped.

If Watson holds out he will have all the power. The Texans will be forced to trade him, the only question is who will pony up and how much capital will be given.

I wonder if a trade package featuring Gilmore and draft picks will be enough to entice the Texans. Also, would Watson give the nod to play for Belichick even if an offer was accepted?
They can’t fine him in the regular season?

What about a Aaron Rodgers for Watson trade?

Agree and have the same questions myself.

Anyone who doesn't think Watson is going for three-four 1st is nuts. Adams garnered two 1st and a 3rd or 4th I believe. I mean we're talking about a QB in his prime that's never been consistently surrounded by a competent cast or staff. I'd give up three 1st and Jackson or Gilmore without blinking.

The real problem is that 3 1sts might not be much of a compensation in the end for Caserio.
The 1rd picks of the team you trade Watson to will all be at the bottom. Jetes 2nd overall alone is worth 4 bottom 1st round picks (25-28) f.e..
In that case you need ok form the owner to burn it down and tank for QB w your own pick next yr. Or Texfans will burn the place down.
The problem is that that could create a serious setback to establishing new culture.

This is a nightmare situation with only few trades making at least some “sense“.
With Jetes or Dolphins at least you get fresh start with similar QB talent to Watson and some picks and cap to work with.

So even if they do “agree“ on moving on - can they agree on destination/compensation?
My guess is Watson eyes SBs vs Mahomes. HOU would prefer NFC as well in principle. Could they agree on Atlanta?
And would Atlanta really be that much different - the perennial losers w 12 yrs of franchise QB?

Watson would probably like Rams or SF but i doubt sensible compensation is there to make it work partly due to cap as well..

The time is also not a friend of Caserio here, the waiting game will only make the nightmare grow.

PS
The Miami trade would make the insanity of Tunsil trade perfect: two franchise QBs & change for OT you can get in every draft :)

Last edited:
Atlanta can't absorb Watson's contract as they still have Matt Ryan, and cutting Ryan to make room for Watson would be prohibitively costly against the cap.

As for the Jets, yes their #2 pick represents the highest value available in the current draft, but that pick still doesn't get you Trevor Lawrence. And Watson would be moving to the WORST franchise in the NFL besides Jackonsonville. How does that make sense if he wants to win? He still has to OK any trade that would go through.

If you deem Minnesota a likely landing spot for Watson, their #14 pick is no better an offer than the Patriots #15 pick and the Patriots have a better winning tradition plus more draft capital this year to make a deal. 49ers again, they pick #12, it's only a marginally better pick than #15 and they first have to jettison Jimmy G if they make this move.

As for Miami, they do have a better pick to offer with #3 but it's hard to believe they will give up this soon on Tua after they tanked so hard to get him in the first place.

New England is as likely a destination as any of the above mentioned destinations. The real question is how serious is BB about fixing the QB position?

Does he still carry the delusion that he can make any broken down QB into a winner, see the experiment and failure with Cam Newton, see him ushering out Brady as he believed he could replicate the "Matt Cassell" effect but found out that he couldn't because the offensive weapons are far too deficient as a result of the past 5+ years of poor drafting and bad QBs are still bad.

Even genius head coaches need a franchise talent to get over the Superbowl hump, see Andy Reid's rise to the top after drafting Mahomes.

Last edited:

Which is GM Speak for that they're actively accepting calls for him...

Actually Dave there are two reasons you're in this position today: The first is obvious; and the second is that you're 65 years old and somebody for the first time asked if you want to be an NFL HC, and you were gonna say yes whether Deshawn Watson was or was not on the team...

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back