PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deshaun Watson? (UPDATED: Caserio Says Team Has "no interest" in trading him)

Everything in me says he’s going Jets
But I would trade half the team for him.y
Franchise QBs don’t fall out of trees.
I’d trade for him sign Will Fuller and Kenny Golladay.

Over Watson?

sure......don't have to give up trade capital to get him and they're both equally capable of leading a productive offense....Watson is more dynamic, but it does not bear out in the overall result.

not sure it matters much unless the team can do something about skill positions WR and TE

sure......don't have to give up trade capital to get him and they're both equally capable of leading a productive offense....Watson is more dynamic, but it does not bear out in the overall result.

Dak is a very good young talent for sure.

Not on Watson's level though. The guy has it all. Legitimate MVP candidate every season for a decade to come (barring injury) imo.

I hope watson doesn’t fall flat on his face. I just want someone to challenge mahomes in the afc. Allen fell short. I don’t think we have the goods to get watson. If we had a top 3 pick maybe.

Not on Watson's level though. The guy has it all. Legitimate MVP candidate every season for a decade to come (barring injury) imo.

The guy’s good but still has a lot of prove as well. He could only muster a 4-12 season with the texans.

The guy’s good but still has a lot of prove as well. He could only muster a 4-12 season with the texans.

It was hard to watch those 12 losses and come away thinking they were because of the QB.

It would be a mistake for Houston to trade him. He’s unhappy, but they have a new GM and a new coach. Let them try to work things out with him. If it doesn’t work out, revisit it next year.

It would be a mistake for Houston to trade him. He’s unhappy, but they have a new GM and a new coach. Let them try to work things out with him. If it doesn’t work out, revisit it next year.

It's kind of hard to approach "working things out" when the new GM was hired specifically due to a personal relationship with the Texans executive who caused a lot of the old problems and is still with the team, except with more power than ever before.

It was hard to watch those 12 losses and come away thinking they were because of the QB.

Yeah but the roster he's going to is likely worse than the Texans.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Think of it this way: we went 7-9 starting Newton, while they went 4-12 starting Watson. That Texans roster is really, really bad. One of the reasons they have a new GM.

I’m a big believer that sacks are moreso a QB stat than a team stat, but certainly it’s more complex than that and there are exceptions.

Watson does take a ton of sacks. Any thoughts on that? He definitely makes up for it overall, but is he an elite QB or a very good one?

I like to use Points Scored as the first way to look at a QB’s performance because the offense is so dependent on the QB and this takes into consideration everything to give you the bottom line:

Texans, Points Scored, Ranks

2020 - 18th
2019 - 14th
2018 - 11th

Perhaps wishful thinking, but I'll call BS on that.

Don't forget the Jets have like 70mil in cap space.

Sounds stupid, but it is the world nowadays, Allen Robinson "liking" Watson/Jets tweets.

Thuney or one of the other two top FA olinemen.

That gives Watson a much better oline and WR corps (Allen Mims Crowder) than he had last year.

Jets D? Well #1 Mosely is back. They already have a legit run defense.

That still leaves 20mil or so in cap space, plus our whole remaining draft (likely adding a 2nd rounder from trading Sam) to address CB/LB/RB.

Super Bowl contender in 2021? Probably not.

But definitely a playoff contender.

And most importantly... OFF-SEASON CHAMPS BABY!

I’m a big believer that sacks are moreso a QB stat than a team stat, but certainly it’s more complex than that and there are exceptions.

Watson does take a ton of sacks. Any thoughts on that? He definitely makes up for it overall, but is he an elite QB or a very good one?

I like to use Points Scored as the first way to look at a QB’s performance because the offense is so dependent on the QB and this takes into consideration everything to give you the bottom line:

Texans, Points Scored, Ranks

2020 - 18th
2019 - 14th
2018 - 11th

I think this is a reasonable question to ask. We really don't know whether he's going to max out at very good. Of the veteran options who might be available, though, he's the only one I see with the potential to be elite.

he appears more dynamic but the overall result has not shown that

Clearly with the coaching hire settled Watson has firmly decided he has played his last snap for the Texans.

My guess is that if Watson wants New York than the Jets will give up 4 first round picks. It's too much but as a moribund franchise they feel they have to do it to revive themselves.

But if I'm Watson you have to think that all the best young QBs are in the AFC - if you want to compete for a Super Bowl then you have to go through Mahomes/Trevor Lawrence/Joe Burrow/Lamar Jackson/Josh Allen/Justin Herbert/Baker Mayfield/Tua etc....
If you force a trade to the NFC then you have Brady/Brees/Aaron Rodgers - all of them in the final years of their career. Okay the younger QBs include Russel Wilson and Kyler Murray but Watson's probably better than them.

I think the teams which should give up multiple picks for Deshaun are the LA Rams, the WFT and maybe the 49ers - all play-off teams already and Watson could take all those teams up another level. All have their head coaches already in place and it makes sense for Watson who wouldn't be going to a bad team who are giving up many first rounders.

Another option would be if he managed to get himself to Atlanta Falcons (his home state is GA) but they need to start a rebuild too and would be in cap hell with Matty Ice for another year.

My guess is that if Watson wants New York than the Jets will give up 4 first round picks. It's too much but as a moribund franchise they feel they have to do it to revive themselves.

I could live with four #1s to get Watson, but I'd prefer this...

image.thumb.png.4f8d76f6a32a933c72606442bfe702f9.png

I think he’s going to the Jete.
How much did the jete give up (in addition to tanking a season) to get Darnold only to tank another season and give up their next 3 drafts to replace him.
Comedy gold.
I’m beginning to think the jete could have drafted Tom Brady, or even signed him in his prime, and still never win anything.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back