PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deshaun Watson? (UPDATED: Caserio Says Team Has "no interest" in trading him)

Watson can simply accept the fan fines, and Play Game 1, with no camp. HOU can what it wants.

why would houston care if he shows up week 1 after already fining him? He has zero leverage besides for some outrages reason the old GM giving him a no trade clause in his deal

#2 is definitely better than #15 but by how much and how much will NYJ offer? You have your pick of anyone not named Lawrence but now, you're at best, the same or worse? Like you still have to build a whole team and if NYJ or MIA isn't offering a haul besides a top 5 pick I don't see it getting done.

I'm looking at it this way. Houston is going to be bad so their future picks are top 10 worthy. NE might be bad next year with or without Watson so that could be two top 15 picks, plus w/e else we're offering.

What if we go 15, 2022 1st, 2023 1st & 3rd, Jackson & Harris?

Compared to say ...

#2, 23 & 2nd from NYJ

Who knows. I just think NE has a real shot with an offer like that. Three 1st, 3rd and even just Jackson is a viable offer imo. Let's not forget that while JC might in the Revis or Sherman tier he's been a legit top 10-15 CB for two years.
And Harris is a more than serviceable back on the cheap. It'll be interesting to see what they get of it carries that way.
If the jets trade all those draft picks for Watson then Watson will be surrounded by a much worse team than the one he just led to a 4-12 season while statistically having his career year

Watson can simply accept the fan fines, and Play Game 1, with no camp. HOU can what it wants.
Why would that make sense for him?

This isn't the NBA. If he doesn't play he loses a ton of money yes ? The Texans can sit tight and wreck his career. His agent using logic should explain the leverage is not in his favor. Also it's not like the NBA where football stars somehow have a say in personnel decisions.

Really?

AB and Levon Bell shot their way out of Pittsburgh. Jamal Adams forced the Jets to trade him. Watson has already made a ton of money. so its not like he is going to suffer financially by playing hardball with Houston and holding out.

The Texans are in trouble here trying to get off to a fresh new beginning marred by their franchise QB wanting out.

The fact that anyone would choose to be a Jete is remarkable. Almost unbelievable.
Just because a player has a destination that he prefers in a trade it doesn't mean that the team has to trade him.
If I'm in the position the Texans are in then I tell Watson to play.
If he sits out the entire season what happens to his salary cap hits?

The Jets are the perfect landing spot for Watson with 2 - 1st round picks in the next 2 drafts and lots of cap space. The Jets have the capital to send to Houston in a trade. Maybe send Darnold in a package deal.

What QB would want to go to the Jets? What QB would want to go to NE?

Jets top 3 WRs 1599 yards 12 TDs
Pats top 3 WRs 1642 yards 3 TDs

Mims is a promising young WR for the Jets and NE has Harry as he continues his young brilliant career.

I think watson is stuck with texans.. no way out.. the texans would want 3 firsts and one more impact player. Can the jets provide so much.

They could possibly get a rookie on his rookie contract and field a hyper competitive team with all their draft stockpile.

Only jets and find are suitors now.. tua wasn't that bad for fins. With the draft capital they can do wonders for this year.

Let him go to the JETS. Have the JETS mortgage the entire farm for the next 4 years...
They won't win the East anyways....

Really?

AB and Levon Bell shot their way out of Pittsburgh. Jamal Adams forced the Jets to trade him. Watson has already made a ton of money. so its not like he is going to suffer financially by playing hardball with Houston and holding out.

The Texans are in trouble here trying to get off to a fresh new beginning marred by their franchise QB wanting out.

He'll derail any chance at the HOF if loses a prime year of playing time plus massive fines.

The Jets are the perfect landing spot for Watson with 2 - 1st round picks in the next 2 drafts and lots of cap space. The Jets have the capital to send to Houston in a trade. Maybe send Darnold in a package deal.

Mims is a promising young WR for the Jets and NE has Harry as he continues his young brilliant career.
We’re not going into 21 with the same personnel. Plus you replace a Cam with Watson our qb rushing tds decrease but our wr tds will definitely be more than 3.

Jets will give 3 first round picks - 2021,2022,2023, Sam darnold and possibly a third rounder this year. Their second is itself worth 2 firsts.

Houston can trade the second pick for two firsts and a second with panthers and continue with Sam darnold for this year and then build into contention using 3 first rounds for 2022.

And i don't think anybody can beat that offer. This way , they can add playmakers for watson this year and next year. Jump into contention right away..

Jets and texans match made..

Sure, but both teams have tons of cap space and there could be a lot of receiver talent dumped on the market as teams struggle to get under the cap this offseason. Any team with a top 3-5 QB like Watson and a lot of cap space could rebuild to be a contender this year.

Now I have no faith in the Jets to rebound. So I would think Watson would likely flounder there because that is the Jets.

But I don't think Watson wants to come to the Pats. I think after Bill O'Brien and looking to get away from Caserio that odds are he wants nothing to do with Belichick or the Belichick tree. And I don't think any QB wants to be the guy to follow Brady. No matter how good Watson does here if he was traded here, he would be held to Brady standards which is nearly impossible to match. And since Watson can veto any trade, I expect him to stop any trade to the Patriots.

Part of the issue the Texans will also have is that Watson has a no trade so he can block a deal to a crap team like the Jets where he'll once again have no talent around him.

For me, and this is never going to happen, the team that's interesting is the Steelers. Throw in Rapestburger or cut him and send three 1's and something else to sweeten the pot and you're suddenly neck and neck with the Chiefs. The Steelers should remember the years between Bradshaw and Ben and realize even with their defenses they were never going to win a title. That trade would get them up for another 15 years of being at the top of the league.

Part of the issue the Texans will also have is that Watson has a no trade so he can block a deal to a crap team like the Jets where he'll once again have no talent around him.

For me, and this is never going to happen, the team that's interesting is the Steelers. Throw in Rapestburger or cut him and send three 1's and something else to sweeten the pot and you're suddenly neck and neck with the Chiefs. The Steelers should remember the years between Bradshaw and Ben and realize even with their defenses they were never going to win a title. That trade would get them up for another 15 years of being at the top of the league.
God I hope not

Really?

AB and Levon Bell shot their way out of Pittsburgh.
I would hardly look at those guys as success stories. In fact, looking at what happened to Bell would be a great example of why it is foolhardy to shoot your way out of your contract.

While this is true, he has to guard against overplaying his hand. If he restricts teams he is willing to go to too much, he may just force Houston to keep him.

Didn't he say he wanted to play for the Jets?

I would hardly look at those guys as success stories. In fact, looking at what happened to Bell would be a great example of why it is foolhardy to shoot your way out of your contract.
Ol AB and Bell sure have it rough playing next Sunday in the 2020 Super Bowl.

I would say that they both made a great decision.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back