PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Desean Jackson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK about LB not being on the card. Van Noy is a UFA at the end of 2019.

Unless there's a kid who's a proven blocker as well as being a proven receiver, I'm guessing the Pats would wait and take a couple good blockers who might have some promise as receivers.
That would be a perfect way to replace Dwayne Allen's 7 mill hit.

In terms of WR, I really like the draft class that's gonna be coming up this year - more so in the late 1st Round area (compared to early Round 1) to Round 2-3 range. There's a lot of really nice players that could develop well for us, and it's considered one of the deepest classes in a while.

One of the Ole Miss WR's, Arcega-Whiteside, or Harry should confidently be available in our drafting range - and fit the big-bodied WR1 that we seemed to have for a bit this season (and it worked well). Other players like Deebo Samuel should also be there late 2nd and be worth a consideration.

But then again... Belichick probably doesn't like any of the players I suggested and won't select a WR until the 4th or 5th round

That would be a perfect way to replace Dwayne Allen's 7 mill hit.

In terms of WR, I really like the draft class that's gonna be coming up this year - more so in the late 1st Round area (compared to early Round 1) to Round 2-3 range. There's a lot of really nice players that could develop well for us, and it's considered one of the deepest classes in a while.

One of the Ole Miss WR's, Arcega-Whiteside, or Harry should confidently be available in our drafting range - and fit the big-bodied WR1 that we seemed to have for a bit this season (and it worked well). Other players like Deebo Samuel should also be there late 2nd and be worth a consideration.

But then again... Belichick probably doesn't like any of the players I suggested and won't select a WR until the 4th or 5th round

Allen will turn 29 at the end of February, and he has a ton of NFL experience in a variety of TE/FB roles. I wouldn't want to lose that, especially if Gronk retires at the end of the season. Develin in signed through the end of 2020 ($1.7M & $1.9M, respectively), but he turns 31 next July.

Allen has been very good for the Pats' ground game, especially for C-gap and outside runs. He regularly contributes on ST blocking units. He's also been good in pass-pro, so the ways they've been using him haven't created a run-pass "tell".

While it's certainly very disappointing that Allen hasn't been able to contribute as a receiver the way he did in Indy, for me the worst thing about him being on the roster is his 2019 cap hit ($7.4M that includes $1M in weekly roster bonuses). This would be the last year of the 4-year/$29M contract that he signed with Indy in 2016 (that the Pats inherited).

He accepted a haircut for 2018, reducing his salary from a scheduled $4.5M down to $3.0M, which is about the NFL average for an experienced "blocking TE". If he'd be willing to spread his scheduled $6.4M 2019 salary over 2 years (on an extension) in exchange for $2M-$3M in guarantees (which he doesn't have at the moment), I'd prefer that to trying to replace him with a rookie - especially with Gronk potentially retiring and Develin getting older.
--------------------------

Fair warning.

Anytime I publicly mention a specific college prospect who I think would be great for the Pats (e.g., Kittle, Dante Pettis), it virtually guarantees that BB WON'T draft him.

Belichick probably doesn't like any of the players I suggested and won't select a WR until the 4th or 5th round

The factors the draftniks here (and in the media) rarely quote are again absent: team captain, four-year starter, coach's son, from the BB coaching friends and tree, etc. The whole person concept isn't a catch phrase, it's part of a strategy.

Additionally look at the historical context - veteran receivers he can get cheap, rookies in lower rounds, UDFAs, last year of rookie deals (Cooks), injury history. Again there's a pattern discernible for those that look that speaks to a cap-conscious approach to skill positions given their likelihood to eat significant cap space if targeted toward names and numbers.

Gratis, having Brady's otherworldly skills to "cover up" the delta of not having the stud is no longer a given so maybe BB changes his approach (especially if the Gronk money does fall off the table)?

This offseason has the chance to be one of the most interesting in quite a few years.

The factors the draftniks here (and in the media) rarely quote are again absent: team captain, four-year starter, coach's son, from the BB coaching friends and tree, etc. The whole person concept isn't a catch phrase, it's part of a strategy.

Additionally look at the historical context - veteran receivers he can get cheap, rookies in lower rounds, UDFAs, last year of rookie deals (Cooks), injury history. Again there's a pattern discernible for those that look that speaks to a cap-conscious approach to skill positions given their likelihood to eat significant cap space if targeted toward names and numbers.

Gratis, having Brady's otherworldly skills to "cover up" the delta of not having the stud is no longer a given so maybe BB changes his approach (especially if the Gronk money does fall off the table)?

This offseason has the chance to be one of the most interesting in quite a few years.
It'll all start with addressing Tom's contract. One way or the other.

The Pats currently have 12 draft picks and Berrios shelved from last year. There is always a ton of talent, its just a crap shoot as to who to pick. What they should do is find out whoever makes the Steelers WR choices, because that guy is always spot on!
I count somewhere around 9 or 10 picks, including comp picks. Where did you get 12?

I count somewhere around 9 or 10 picks, including comp picks. Where did you get 12?

I haven't been able to find an up-to-date list, and I feel like I'm missing something, but this is what I have:

2 - from CHI (2018 draft trade)
3 - from DET (2018 draft trade)
3 (comp for SOLDER)
3 (comp for BUTLER)

5 (comp for DOLA)
7 - from CLE (Gordon trade)
7 - from PHL (2018 draft trade)
7 (comp for FLEMING)

I haven't been able to find an up-to-date list, and I feel like I'm missing something, but this is what I have:

3 (comp for SOLDER)
3 (comp for BUTLER)

5 (comp for DOLA)
7 (comp for FLEMING)

I want to say that 3 we own is Cleveland’s for the Shelton deal.

3 (comp for SOLDER)
3 (comp for BUTLER)

5 (comp for DOLA)
7 (comp for FLEMING)
6 picks in the 1st 3 rounds.....wow

What a great opportunity to reload

I want to say that 3 we own is Cleveland’s for the Shelton deal.

Could be. I thought (at that point) that the Pats were trading their own 3rd, and that the 3rd they got from DET was independent of that.

I wasn't tracking all the trades as closely as I would have liked to (April is busy for me).

Could be. I thought (at that point) that the Pats were trading their own 3rd, and that the 3rd they got from DET was independent of that.

I wasn't tracking all the trades as closely as I would have liked to (April is busy for me).

I think your right we still own DETs 3rd so we would have 3 next April with the comp picks giving us 6 total.

3 (comp for SOLDER)
3 (comp for BUTLER)

5 (comp for DOLA)
7 (comp for FLEMING)
Thanks for your breakdown.
I usually use gbnreport for "picks by team" but they don't have one yet for 2019 draft.
I figured we'd get about 3 comp picks. I don't think we get back a 7th rounder for Gordon as he was active for about 12 games. Nor do I see anything about a 7th from Philly.

I figured we'd get about 3 comp picks. I don't think we get back a 7th rounder for Gordon as he was active for about 12 games. Nor do I see anything about a 7th from Philly.

The 7 in the Gordon trade was non-conditional.

The Eagles were so eager to trade up to get Jordan Mailata that they offered their 7 last year plus their 7 this year.

Thanks for your breakdown.
I usually use gbnreport for "picks by team" but they don't have one yet for 2019 draft.

Overthecap has detailed comp-pick/free agent cancellation breakdowns for every team, and I used the list they have posted right now.

If you remember, the Gordon trade was a "done deal" for a couple-three days before the Pats officially announced it. BB was asked about the delayed announcement in his presser on two consecutive days, and his response was that it was still being negotiated/finalized. According to Reiss (I think), the Pat were insisting that CLE drop the "condition" on the 7th-round pick they were sending to the Pats with Gordon. From what I gathered at the time, CLE caved.

The 7th from Philly was a late (and convoluted) Day-3 trade in April's draft. Details are on the Wiki 2018 NFL Draft page.

After this weekend's games, the draft order for picks #1-#20 will be set, so at least some sites should be publishing a full list (not including comps). So, we should get a clearer picture over the next week-10 days.

Thing that sucks about these browns trades are that they’re middle of the pack this year. Most years we’d only be dropping a round, now it’s closer to 2 rounds.

Clayborn unfortunately still counts 6 mill against next year's cap

That translates to $2M in dead money and $4M gross cap savings ($3.5M NET) - regardless when they cut him. I don't think that will happen until after the Pats have the Flowers re-signing situation resolved, and/or a replacement under contract.

Overthecap has detailed comp-pick/free agent cancellation breakdowns for every team, and I used the list they have posted right now.

If you remember, the Gordon trade was a "done deal" for a couple-three days before the Pats officially announced it. BB was asked about the delayed announcement in his presser on two consecutive days, and his response was that it was still being negotiated/finalized. According to Reiss (I think), the Pat were insisting that CLE drop the "condition" on the 7th-round pick they were sending to the Pats with Gordon. From what I gathered at the time, CLE caved.

The 7th from Philly was a late (and convoluted) Day-3 trade in April's draft. Details are on the Wiki 2018 NFL Draft page.

After this weekend's games, the draft order for picks #1-#20 will be set, so at least some sites should be publishing a full list (not including comps). So, we should get a clearer picture over the next week-10 days.
Thanks to you and ctpatsfan for the clarification. That's 2 extra picks we get that I didn't know we had and maybe like you said an additional comp pick that I didn't think we'd have.
As mentioned, all these picks and return of "red-shirt" top round players (Wynn, Dawson & Bentley as well as Izzo, Berrios and Sam as well ) will boost our depth and hopefully have some impact on the field.

For whatever reason, DeSean Jackson seemed to have a very good rapport with Fitzpatrick - but Jameis Winston much preferred to throw to other targets in Tampa. This has been the case even prior to the 2018 season.

Dec 3: Buccaneers AfterMath: You guys, Tampa Bay broke the Panthers

After Godwin’s touchdown grab, the stadium cannon fired six times and then one additional time in remembrance of DeSean Jackson’s tenure in Tampa Bay. Jackson, the Bucs’ marquee free-agent signing before the 2017 season, missed the game because of a thumb injury.​

Dec 3: DeSean Jackson Likely Done with Buccaneers

Tampa Bay can cut Jackson after the season and completely clear his $10 million from their books for 2019.

Additionally, Jackson, who signed a three-year, $33.5 million deal with the Bucs in 2017, requested a trade back in October and has been upset with his role with team. Jackson has not been able to form chemistry with quarterback Jameis Winston, compounding the issue.

Jackson, 32, may not be the speedster that he once was, but he could be a viable free agent to hit the market this offseason.​

Oct 28: What We Know About The Report Of Jackson Requesting A Trade From Bucs

Dating back to last year, Jackson and Winston have struggled to connect on deep passes, although backup quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jackson connected several times on deep passes, including three touchdowns, through the first two weeks of the season, the longest of which was a 75-yard scoring strike on the first play of the Eagles game in Week 2.

Jackson started off the season hot, catching nine passes for 275 yards and three TDs in the first two weeks. After being held to three catches for 37 yards against Pittsburgh in Week 3, Jackson rebounded with five catches for 112 yards, including a 48-yarder from Fitzpatrick in a Week 4 loss at Chicago. In Winston’s first start at Atlanta in Week 6, Jackson was targeted nine times and caught four passes for 77 yards.

Last week, Jackson was targeted only four times, catching two passes for 25, including a key 14-yard reception in overtime to set up Chandler Catanzaro’s 59-yard game-winner.
More article on Jackson from Tampa's primary Bucs fan site here:
Desean Jackson

I'd rather have Golden Tate ahead of DeSean Jackson, but I believe that Jackson could work here too. We probably won't be able to afford either of them next year anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST