PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Desean Jackson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with this. Cord has over 1000yds of total offense and 5 TDs. As a WR4/5 RB3 thats pretty good production.

Need more playmakers at WR.

Agreed.

If you look at all 3 WRs (jackson hogan dorsett) for 2019 deseans your best bet as a wr who can get open and stretch the field. The million dollar questions would be if he can pick up the offense and how well he and brady gel. (But that’s for any new wr coming in)

Stats-wise, he looks perfect. He payed under 2nd-round tender this season ($2.9M), which may indicate that he and the Bucs couldn't come to terms last April.

It seems likely that some team is going to make him a relatively wealthy little elf this coming spring. It seems unlikely to me that the team will be the Pats.

Why? Edelman is on the wrong side of 30, they never replaced Amendola, and Berrios will only be in his second year. Humphries seems tailor made for this offense and the team will more than likely be clearing a significant amount of cap room this offseason.

Yes, he's better. But as you pointed out, he's probably going to cost a pretty penny, something I'm not convinced the Pats want to spend when they may have a slightly lesser version for practically nothing already in the organization.

Berrios could also turn out to be nothing for practically nothing. He's never taken a regular-season NFL snap, so there's no way for us to know.

Meanwhile, Humphries has had 2495 NFL snaps on offense, and another 201 on ST.

Berrios could also turn out to be nothing for practically nothing. He's never taken a regular-season NFL snap, so there's no way for us to know.

Meanwhile, Humphries has had 2495 NFL snaps on offense, and another 201 on ST.

Oh of course he could be nothing. No doubt about that. I was just pointing out that they already have a short, quick, white slot guy who returns punts in the organization, and for much cheaper than what they'll spend on the free agent market.

Danny-DeVito-Nope.gif

The 33 year old thing makes him a no go as far as I am concerned. However, this guy would never fit the Pats and who they want as FAs or as WRs. When I hear BB talking about how he only wants to coach guys he wants to coach, this is the type of player that think of that they stay away from.

In 2014, Jason Whitlock wrote :
"Rather, sources close to Jackson and within the Eagles' organization say, it originally was Jackson's off-field behavior that concerned the front office. A bad attitude, an inconsistent work ethic, missed meetings and a lack of chemistry with head coach Chip Kelly were the original reasons for his fall from grace, sources told NJ.com."

For whatever reason, and I know I am painting with a very broad brush here, this position is an enigma for the folks down on Route 1. Perhaps it's the younger players are a little selfish, the WR position tends to be populated with "me first" players, or maybe they just suck at evaluating talent outside the numbers. I have no idea. But they have way more misses than hits during the Brady / Belichick Era, and I don't think that's gonna change and they will suddenly be able to hit on the draft.

Last edited:
Oh of course he could be nothing. No doubt about that. I was just pointing out that they already have a short, quick, white slot guy who returns punts in the organization, and for much cheaper than what they'll spend on the free agent market.

The Pats also still have McCarron on IR, as far as I know. Plus Darren Andrews on NFI.

So, there's three prospects/candidates/hypotheticals. No doubt there will be more on the 2019 90-man roster, possibly including a couple NFL free agents, possibly even a player acquired via trade, like Welker. I'm pretty sure that the Pats will hedge their bet in a couple-three different ways.

They were actually pretty lucky to come up with Edelman in the draft when Welker was still only 28 and had 4 more years left with the Pats. Edelman will be 33 in May, so the need for a replacement may be sufficiently immediate that paying an established free agent might be more prudent than waiting.

The Pats signed Amendola for 5 years/$28.5M, $10M guaranteed in 2013 (when Welker turned 32), when it became clear that Welker was leaving. A comparable contract in "2019 cap dollars" might be around $44M/$15M guaranteed... <$5M AAV, certainly affordable for the Pats, but I'm not sure it would be enough to snag Humphries.

Danny-DeVito-Nope.gif

The 33 year old thing makes him a no go as far as I am concerned. However, this guy would never fit the Pats and who they want as FAs or as WRs. When I hear BB talking about how he only wants to coach he wants to coach, this is the type of player that think of that they stay away from.

In 2014, Jason Whitlock wrote :

For whatever reason, and I know I am painting with a very broad brush here, this position is an enigma for the folks down on Route 1. Perhaps it's the younger players are a little selfish, the WR position tends to be populated with "me first" players, or maybe they just suck at evaluating talent outside the numbers. I have no idea. But they have way more misses than hits during the Brady / Belichick Era, and I don't think that's gonna change and they will suddenly be able to hit on the draft.

- the fact that Jackson is talking about wanting to play elsewhere while he still has a year (at $10M) left on his contract with Tampa (not to mention another game to play for them this season)
- he seems likely to still be looking for more than the Pats are likely to spend on a 33-year-old WR
- he's 33 years old

Yeah. Seems unlikely.

The biggest issue with us getting WRs will they be able to pick up our offensive scheme and understand it. Not sure what Desean Jackson Route tree is like. Is he still that Burner who can take the top off the defence, or does it look like he does at Tampa due to Mike Evans?

The main WRs I'm interested in are Devin Funchess, Donte Moncrief, and Tyrell Williams. Unfortunately, neither of those guys are WR1s, but could fill the WR2 role that Hogan filled in a few years ago. We'll probably have to draft a WR high with one of our top 3 picks (over a QB imo) or trade for one - but I don't like getting rental players that much. I don't see Belichick drafting LB/DE too high since our offensive talent at WR/TE is really a far cry from what we had last year, and since our defensive front actually has a lot of young players out there.

Should be available this offseason. I’m not saying he would be the new focal point of the offense in 2019 but he can still stretch the field. Averaging around 18 ypc. Could be a cheap option at wr too on a short term deal.

No thanks at 33 we should be able to find a Guy in the Draft that can do what Foster can do right now. Shows you how Dorsett sucks when you think about it he's not even good at that and he has Good Deep Speed.

Throwing this out there too:

Gronk isn't staying with that contract and could add $10 mill to our cap if cut - Dwayne Allen would also add $7 mill as well.

Then, looking at restructures for Hightower, Cannon, and Clayborn could see us with close to $50 mill in cap space.

We don't have a crazy amount of needs with this team - it's just that the needs we have are pretty glaring. Our OL is good for years. Same with RB. Secondary is really solid. Main needs are Edge (Trey Flowers re-sign I'm assuming) and another fast LB. A DT would likely be an early (Round 2-3) target.

We still look like we could have the space to nab a quality free agent WR.

Hydra: Adrian Clearout:rolleyes: is on one year deal thank goodness. But I like your savings we could add Dmac to that list too on a Restructure a lot of savings on our Cap. We should have enough $$$$$ to replace Gronk - Hightower and even Cannon.

The main WRs I'm interested in are Devin Funchess, Donte Moncrief, and Tyrell Williams. Unfortunately, neither of those guys are WR1s, but could fill the WR2 role that Hogan filled in a few years ago. We'll probably have to draft a WR high with one of our top 3 picks (over a QB imo) or trade for one - but I don't like getting rental players that much. I don't see Belichick drafting LB/DE too high since our offensive talent at WR/TE is really a far cry from what we had last year, and since our defensive front actually has a lot of young players out there.

IDK about LB not being on the card. Van Noy is a UFA at the end of 2019.

Unless there's a kid who's a proven blocker as well as being a proven receiver, I'm guessing the Pats would wait and take a couple good blockers who might have some promise as receivers.

Why? Edelman is on the wrong side of 30, they never replaced Amendola, and Berrios will only be in his second year. Humphries seems tailor made for this offense and the team will more than likely be clearing a significant amount of cap room this offseason.

Huge fan of Humphries myself I also think he would fit perfectly with the Pats.

Throwing this out there too:

Gronk isn't staying with that contract and could add $10 mill to our cap if cut - Dwayne Allen would also add $7 mill as well.

Then, looking at restructures for Hightower, Cannon, and Clayborn could see us with close to $50 mill in cap space.

We don't have a crazy amount of needs with this team - it's just that the needs we have are pretty glaring. Our OL is good for years. Same with RB. Secondary is really solid. Main needs are Edge (Trey Flowers re-sign I'm assuming) and another fast LB. A DT would likely be an early (Round 2-3) target.

We still look like we could have the space to nab a quality free agent WR.

I'm starting in on this from the other direction - projecting the potential costs of re-signing in-house free agents first, and then working out how much total space is likely needed for 2019 and how it might best be manufactured (without prematurely creating holes in the roster).

Hydra: Adrian Clearout:rolleyes: is on one year deal thank goodness. But I like your savings we could add Dmac to that list too on a Restructure a lot of savings on our Cap. We should have enough $$$$$ to replace Gronk - Hightower and even Cannon.
Clayborn unfortunately still counts 6 mill against next year's cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference