PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Derek Carr needles Seahawks over SB49 loss... heh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the play. Lynch had a lot of speed going breaking to the left and Hightower I think would not have beat him to spot. You can disagree if you want. I am just telling you about that one play not the full game.

I tell you what, why don't you look at the play. And once you do, tell me exactly where Hightower is on the field. I promise you he's further away from a Seahawks player than any other Pats player on the field.

I tell you what, why don't you look at the play. And once you do, tell me exactly where Hightower is on the field. I promise you he's further away from a Seahawks player than any other Pats player on the field.

I see what you mean. I just kind of assumed it was Hightower on him. You can't exactly see the Jersey numbers particularly clear. Well whoever was on Lynch looks like they would have gotten beat to the sideline. That point still stands even if i got the player wrong.

BTW looking again and pausing a few times I can tell now it was actually Chandler Jones (after the playis over you canfinally see the jersey). He is certainly not known for his coverage.

I see what you mean. I just kind of assumed it was Hightower on him. You can't exactly see the Jersey numbers particularly clear. Well whoever was on Lynch looks like they would have gotten beat to the sideline. That point still stands even if i got the player wrong.

BTW looking again and pausing a few times I can tell now it was actually Chandler Jones (after the playis over you canfinally see the jersey). He is certainly not known for his coverage.

Yeah I agree Chandler Jones was coming open!;)

Biggest difference is, Seattle made it to the SB. Oakland may have to go through us and relive 2001 (post-season) all over again.

They have a pretty so;id team, though that 25 million is going to cost them a couple lunch-pail type guys. Guys BB can made good use of.

Do many people really believe the Raiders are suddenly contenders? I don't not think they will make the playoffs in 2017. Tough division, honeymoon period is over, high expectations, crappy and undisciplined organization. Vegas has them at 9.5 wins, or in other words, they are maybe 50/50 to make it.

You had to do a pass play in order to play 4 downs. You had to play 4 downs to maximize your chances to win the football game. If you had to do a pass play, you do it on second down, again to maximize your chance to score. On first down you try to pound the rock with Lynch because of course it was. You're on the half yard line and the other team has hardened its defense about as far as it can. If you pound the rock again on second down and don't get in, they just built their confidence for third down, which almost has to be the last play of the game with that little clock left. Suddenly the whole drive becomes a coin flip -- unacceptable.

Meanwhile, if you can catch your opponent by surprise with a well executed pass, you stop the clock if it doesn't work and score if it does. Then you have 2 plays to try to ride Lynch to score.

Two problems

1: The Patriots were not caught off guard
2: The execution of the pick was horrible in every possible way.

Carroll is at fault for two things. First, the Seahawks were disorganized and unfocused both in clock management and in execution. Clearly his team was not well briefed. Second, he probably should have exploited the suspected anticipation of a run with a play action pass, draw defenders to the left and open holes for Lockette and Kearse. Misdirection is key to a pass like that on the goal line. Instead Wilson was literally telegraphing the play from the moment the ball was snapped to him.

The play was not well executed, the team was not well briefed or focused, after playing a good 59 minutes they basically got eaten for lunch by the crunchtime butterflies. Give Pete Carroll all the stick you want for that. That's fair criticism of a head coach. That's the sort of thing he SHOULD be criticised for by knowledgeable fans. The play call was fine, at the very least there's good reason why to consider running that play. The problem is not the play, it's that the play was executed poorly, with little discipline and no thought for deception or misdirection, and that gave Butler room to make the defensive play of the decade. The team was not ready to make the play they needed to make, that's directly on the head coach. That's actually a far harsher criticism of Carroll than one ill timed bad play call.

Last edited:
In the moment, I think most of us fans didn't think it was stupid to run the ball. Carroll however obviously understood in the moment that it was stupid to run the ball, with him saying they're going goal-line or something if I remember correctly. The problem is people getting on Pete Carroll after the game is over. After they had(not that they bothered looking) time to look at the personnel on the field.

My own theory on why people continue to say this is because the hatred and jealousy people have for the Patriots organization. I think if it was just another team in the Superbowl people would have pointed out the personnel quicker. But accepting a Patriots victory was difficult for so many jealous and hateful people and they needed to grasp on to something to attack the Patriots so they could say the Seahawks gifted the Pats the win. The Pats didn't win it. The Seahawks lost it. One yard away from winning Super Bowl XLIX.

Obviously the NYJFL* hates the Patriots most of all so they have the media influence to peddle this notion. Quite a few Seahawks fans have hated Darrell Bevell so it was easy for them to buy into this belief as well. Now you got their fan base and the media peddling this idea in full force. This leads to the casual fans and fans of other teams to start to buy into this, not that they truly looked into this but it's being shoved down the peoples throats and they don't really care anyways, wasn't their team in the XLIX, so they just assume it's true.

This ends up being more damaging for the Seahawks fan base because it's a monumental f*ck up in their eyes and the corrupt media is backing up that idea so it makes letting go of this that much harder for them.

In fact I've never seen anyone on the Seahawks board even mention the Pats personnel used until over 2 years later. That member came to terms with calling a pass wasn't such a bad idea. But that was just one person.

But the Pats personnel was dictated by Seattle's offense. "Malcom Go" was because of the offensive package the Seahawks put on the field.

I do agree that they shouldn't have run the ball with the personnel package they had sent in but they could have went big just as well.

Pete Carroll opted for a passing play because he was concerned about the game clock. Personally I think they should have ran it.

Another note to add is Pete did not manage his timeouts or the clock well during the last minute or two. He was too busy being Pom Pom Pete. "Oh he caught it" "Hip Hip hurray" "What a catch" "Oh wait the clock's still running" "Why is BB staring at me?"

Do many people really believe the Raiders are suddenly contenders? I don't not think they will make the playoffs in 2017. Tough division, honeymoon period is over, high expectations, crappy and undisciplined organization. Vegas has them at 9.5 wins, or in other words, they are maybe 50/50 to make it.

I'm not sold yet either. I do like Carr but as of right now the Raiders seem like a good offensive team carrying a mediocre defense.

To people talking about how obvious it was that they shouldn't run...My friend turned to me, we were both depressed after the Kearse catch. I said..."F---. It's happening again!" He said "We can get an interception!" I looked at him like he was an idiot, "There is no way they would be stupid enough to throw the ball in this situation." I literally said that.

Thank God I was wrong. About two minutes later we are like all the other Pats fans in those crazy SB videos.

Maybe to the sharper football minds it was a good time to pass, but to us mere mortals, it was an obvious running situation.

That call by Seattle, and the lack of a timeout called by Bill after the 1st down run, were both examples of situations where the obvious wasn't that obvious to the coaches.

I put a 25 year curse on the Raiders after the Snow Bowl in 2001, 25 years after we were robbed in Oakland. They can't win until 2026 at the earliest.

Another note to add is Pete did not manage his timeouts or the clock well during the last minute or two. He was too busy being Pom Pom Pete. "Oh he caught it" "Hip Hip hurray" "What a catch" "Oh wait the clock's still running" "Why is BB staring at me?"

Everyone in the universe, including Pete, expected Belichick to call a time out. Belichick just sat there staring at the Seahawks sideline. In an interview, Belichick said "I thought about the timeout, and when I looked over there, I don't know, something just didn't look right." Decades of learning focused on that one moment, and his pattern recognition told him "something doesn't look right." Everyone else in the universe thought it was a no-brainer to call a time out. I'm sure Carrol thought Belichick was giving him a gift by letting him waste time like that, taking away precious seconds the Patriots would need after the Seahawks scored.

We have the greatest coach ever.

What exactly is tough about that division? Denver is done. KC turns back into a pumpkin when the playoffs roll around. The Chargers are toast. Carr is by far the best QB in the division and NE fans ought to know better than most the importance of that.

Yeah fair enough, but I think the division right now is theirs to lose. Denver doesn't have a QB and there have been some massive changes in coaching, Kansas City has a mediocre coach and QB and San Diego I'm not even going to waste words on that crap franchise.

So I think the Raiders make the playoffs, either by winning the division or through wild card, a team people is all over the hype I don't have any faith is the Titans and Mariota.

I thought I read that the play Seattle ran was one of their favorites in that situation and that they had been very successful with it in the past.

Hence the reason the Pats practiced against it and were ready for it. You can't fool BB & Co. by running an old stand-by (lucky for us).

I honestly think the miracle catch may have worked against them. The catch was exciting and the Seahawks were caught up in it. They were very slow to get their disciplined back every play after that catch, was executed very poorly.

I think Carol's cheerleader side really worked against him in that situation because the Seahawks were already so pumped up that they lost their ability to focus in the final minute after that excitement

I honestly think the miracle catch may have worked against them. The catch was exciting and the Seahawks were caught up in it. They were very slow to get their disciplined back every play after that catch, was executed very poorly.

I think Carol's cheerleader side really worked against him in that situation because the Seahawks were already so pumped up that they lost their ability to focus in the final minute after that excitement
Of course, a drop would have been better ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft