PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Demarcus Ware to sign with Denver? [Update: signs 3-yr, $30m deal w/$20m guaranteed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Demarcus Ware to sign with Denver? [Update: signs 3-yr, $30m deal w/$20m guarante

Truthfully CB isn't even enough now, I don't think. What if we get Revis? We've basically replaced Talib who we had last year. And that wasn't enough to get to the big game. So we need a CB and all the stuff we needed before Talib went to the Donkeys. If we lose Edelperson, now we need even more. We also need to replace Spikes who was the main reason teams couldn't run on us.

This is going to be a rough offseason/transition/year.

I was thinking the same thing. Great if we did sign him but what about a pass rusher and some weapons for Brady?

Re: Demarcus Ware to sign with Denver? [Update: signs 3-yr, $30m deal w/$20m guarante

I think the league needs to send a forensic cap investigator out to Denver...smells and looks an awful lot like 1997/1998 to me...:singing:

Better hope they can stay healthy. If they can, you're probably looking at a top five defense. If Talib's hip flares up and Ware's issues from the last two years flare up again, you've pissed away a bunch of guaranteed money for players that are a shadow of themselves. That said, the moves are solid ones. Before they signed with the Broncos, everyone wanted T.J. Ward and Talib back in New England. All in all, I think Ward is going to be your prize. SS's that are good in coverage and lay the lumber like he does are assets on a defense this day in age. Just ask Kam Chancellor and Demaryius Thomas.

Very true regarding staying healthy and I completely agree that the Ware/Talib signings could possibly prove to be huge or blow up in Denver's face. Risk/reward is steep on both. I agree with the Ward signing. Not being talked about much but imo the Broncos got a steal with his contract.

Truthfully CB isn't even enough now, I don't think. What if we get Revis? We've basically replaced Talib who we had last year. And that wasn't enough to get to the big game. So we need a CB and all the stuff we needed before Talib went to the Donkeys. If we lose Edelperson, now we need even more. We also need to replace Spikes who was the main reason teams couldn't run on us.

Revis would make the offseason an A- by himself. He is an upgrade over Talib even on Talib's best day, and stays healthy. He also can cover any type of #1 WR (steve smiths, ty hiltons) while Talib struggles with the smaller, shiftier types.

The same team from last year + players returning from injuries + Revis = can take on the Broncos IMO.

Very true regarding staying healthy and I completely agree that the Ware/Talib signings could possibly prove to be huge or blow up in Denver's face. Risk/reward is steep on both. I agree with the Ward signing. Not being talked about much but imo the Broncos got a steal with his contract.

Talib is a top five corner when healthy too. But, watch, you're going to cringe every time he hits the turf on that side of his body. When injured, he's not "useless", per se, but he's a shadow of what he is when he's healthy. When he's healthy, he can dominate the bigger and more physical receivers of the league.

Those numbers are not accurate. Kuper retired ($5million) and I fully expect Denver to cut some players to free up more $ (Tamme or Dreessen) amongst others.

You are correct, sir. Thank you for catching OL Kuper's retirement. That saves the Broncos $3.2, and leaves $1.8M of dead money on the cap.

As far as other cuts go, does cutting reliable Jacob Tamme help Manning? Dreesen's probably finished with his knee injury, anyway and would save them $1.9 million. That leaves Julius Thomas at TE at $741k (Julian Edelman money) entering his contract year.

It is impossible to predict how much it will take to add 25 players to the roster unless all of them get the veteran minimum. You can predict the rookies, but with the marquee level guys getting much more, so will the mid tier and lower tier guys. So you might have to pay $3 million for a back up rotational guy. Which means that those 25 players (excluding the marquee guys) could cost the Broncos $40-50 million.

Talking about a team's next year cap when they have so few people on the roster is a little misleading. Too many unknows.

Agreed and very much the case. Wait and see I guess.

Truthfully CB isn't even enough now, I don't think. What if we get Revis? We've basically replaced Talib who we had last year.

Strongly disagree. Revis > Talib, and I don't think it's that close. I like Talib and there are times he does show that elite level. Revis LIVES on that elite level.

And that wasn't enough to get to the big game. So we need a CB and all the stuff we needed before Talib went to the Donkeys. If we lose Edelperson, now we need even more. We also need to replace Spikes who was the main reason teams couldn't run on us.

If we get a guy like Woodyard, which seems eminently doable, I prefer Hightower/Collins/Mayo/Woodyard to Spikes/Mayo/hightower/rookie Collins/Fletcher. We need a rotational DE - there are several out there, including Shaughnessy. Get Revis, Woodyard, a DE and this defense is much better than last year.

On offense, we need Edelperson or a replacement (still prefer Sanders if not JE). We need interior OL still (one FA and a draft pick?), and a second TE (draft).

Revis is an Island Talib is not. Revis would shut down one side against any WR Big or a small TY Hilton schooled Taib so did Steve Smith and Josh Gordon. Revis would be more effective against all three.

The only thing Revis would be able to do against Hilton and Gordon is read their names as their jerseys fly by. This isn't the Revis of 2009-2010.

Two points:

1) Revis is better than Talib
2) Revis won't reliably be playing at 75%/gone entirely after week 8.

I don't think we'll get Revis, but if we do, pretending that it isn't a major upgrade over Talib is crazy.

You are correct, sir. Thank you for catching OL Kuper's retirement. That saves the Broncos $3.2, and leaves $1.8M of dead money on the cap.

As far as other cuts go, does cutting reliable Jacob Tamme help Manning? Dreesen's probably finished with his knee injury, anyway and would save them $1.9 million. That leaves Julius Thomas at TE at $741k (Julian Edelman money) entering his contract year.

Fair point regarding Tamme and I think Dreesen is probably the odd man out between those 2. They also have Virgil Green at TE but he is more of a blocker. I would be shocked if Denver didn't make some additional cuts to free up spots/money prior to the draft.

Talib is a top five corner when healthy too. But, watch, you're going to cringe every time he hits the turf on that side of his body. When injured, he's not "useless", per se, but he's a shadow of what he is when he's healthy. When he's healthy, he can dominate the bigger and more physical receivers of the league.

I'm already cringing just thinking about that!:eek:

I am loving this; all the pressure is on Manning now. I imagine he'll be sweating bullets at some point.

I am loving this; all the pressure is on Manning now. I imagine he'll be sweating bullets at some point.

Yeah, I know! If I were PM I would want the Denver front office to sit on their hands during free agency and not attempt to get better. That would certainly help to alleviate any pressure PM does/will feel going into next year which could possibly be his last...:cool:

Wow - that John Elway is one tough negotiator.

Yeah, I know! If I were PM I would want the Denver front office to sit on their hands during free agency and not attempt to get better. That would certainly help to alleviate any pressure PM does/will feel going into next year which could possibly be his last...:cool:

On one hand, I take some weird, grim satisfaction in the fact that the Broncos look to be yet another team blowing its wad to stay in the same elite AFC tier that the Pats are in year in and year out. All of the teams that have done that in the past have faded from relevance pretty quickly, some faster than others (Indy, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, the Jets).

OTOH, it's hard to look at the Broncos' current roster and not conclude that they're the Super Bowl favorites right now. You guys are stacked. I'm still holding out hope that, with almost all of their money spent, they pretty much are what they are, while the Pats still have a bunch of moves to make. I do know that if the Pats had signed Ware, Talib, and Ward to the exact contracts that they got with Denver, Ward's deal is the only one that I would be pumped about. The others would have me nervous as hell, but rolling the dice is necessary to assemble a SB-favorite roster. If you get lucky and they stay healthy, that's a time that probably should win it all, and 2016 can be 2016's problem.

So how does this work for Ware. does he get 10 million dollars from the broncos this season plus the cap hit the Cowboys took for cutting him?(7.5-8.5 million?)

Manning and the Broncos scored zero in the first half of the Super Bow. Manning scored seven FOR the Seahawks on 3rd and 13 from the Hawks 35 when he threw an INT.

The Broncos scored EIGHT points in the Super Bowl. They are losing Decker, Tammi and some O line. Elway decides to go sign three very expensive free agents for the defense.

Maybe I'm just stupid but after watching the NFL for over 5 decades, I think I see what I see and I saw Manning moved off his spot by the Hawks pressure and I saw "the greatest quarterback in history!!!!" put up 8 points for and 7 against . That is hardly the prescription to go out and splurge on defense.

Did I miss an announcement that Revis has joined the pats.Some people are speaking as if his signing is a done deal.People ,consider his asking price and the patriots free agency reticence and you can see he is not coming here.

The Broncos spending money the way they are makes me think that Manning was told he could go one more season when he had his neck checkup this offseason. Elway is pulling a Florida Marlins approach. His baseball career was a failure so he did not learn that MLB does not have a salary cap so you can get away with that type of crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back