PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeMarcus Covington new DC

Sounds like wishful thinking, how do you know coaching was never the problem?

The amount of blown assignments, terrible offensive line play, blocked punts, big returns that happened the last 2 years suggest coaching was a major problem.
That doesn't mean every coach sucked, weed out the one's that sucked and replace them with an upgrade and the one's that were good, keep them. I don't understand this thinking that if you get rid of Bill you have to get rid of every coach too and can't bring anyone whoever brushed up against BB because they have BB stink on them. Out with the bad, in with the good.

Because right now, the Krafts are saying, 'everything in the old regime was fine except for Bill Belichick'.

They went 4-13 last year - there was a lot more fundamentally wrong with the team than just the head coach.
Not really.

If the Bruins went 4-13 over a 17 game stretch, that would be bad. But if during those games, they lost 8 of them by a score of 5-4 with the goalie clearly letting up 3-4 soft goals a game, it would be safe to assume with a new goalie and maybe 1-2 upgrades on defense, the team would be a winning team.

While their losses still count as losses, the fact they lost 8 by a TD or less means there wasn’t a LOT wrong with the team.

Changes need to be made of course but this is just not a typical 4-13 team. A competent QB and talented WR could have had this a 10+ win team

My concern isn't for Covington, we'll see if he can do the job or not on the field - we know what the bar is from what they did last year with half their starters missing.

My concern is, the mentality of the organization seems to be that Belichick was the sole problem with the team - and if they just run it back, everything, coaches, players, front office, without him, they were actually Championship contenders that Belichick, and Belichick alone, held them back to 4-13.

I don't believe that, as someone who thought he deserved to be fired, and I doubt most people believe that. And yet, here we are.
He was a symptom of the problem, and the problem was poor roster management, and construction. In years past we would have been to basically overcome any FA or draft pick that didn't work out because we had the equalizer. Watching the post season NFL just makes me miss and even more appreciate what we had for 19 seasons. Honestly I believe the organization knew they had to adapt, and unfortunately with this version of what was happening the past few seasons it accelerated the process. We Know how great Bill was. But as for covington he some pieces to work with and familiarity with the staff.

Like I said, " by posters I consider very knowledgeable"

You realize that 98% of that is just your favored posters in an echo chamber? And that the only source of "information" is what's released by the team, or is conjecture from media that rather quickly starts to look like fact in this forum? No person with professional connections to the NEP is going to share actual insider information here because the team will find out who they are and eliminate that access.

If you were able to read between the lines, the Krafts are telling you...

We all want to know what's happening, and going to happen. That leads to massive use of cognitive bias here. The odds on any of us guessing correctly what "the Krafts" are actually thinking is pretty tiny.

Alot of in house hires going on here... not sure how I feel about that.
Well, the defense is pretty good, so...
So What GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

You realize that 98% of that is just your favored posters in an echo chamber? And that the only source of "information" is what's released by the team, or is conjecture from media that rather quickly starts to look like fact in this forum? No person with professional connections to the NEP is going to share actual insider information here because the team will find out who they are and eliminate that access.
Obviously

Don't think the Pats have actually formally announced Covington as the DC yet.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back