PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Definitely not an overreaction . . .

Like I stated, pre season is not a real QB barometer. In most games the opponent is not out to take off the QBs head.

Why didn't you post how many times Mac was sacked? How many times Mac held the ball far too long?

I'm not sold like all the Homer's on here that are pro Mac like they were with Stidham.

5 sacks, most of which came last night. He was with our 2s against their 1s, and he was moving around trying to find an open player. I don't mind it too much. I suspect in the regular season, he'd be instructed to throw away the ball or get it to a checkdown. Maybe he just didn't want to risk an interception and preferred to just eat the sack. Not the worst thing I've seen. He took care of the ball and still put up the most yards and most completions of any rookie quarterback this preseason.

There is no qb competition between Mac and Newton. Mac is just far above him. Is Mac durable like Tom? Can he mount a comeback? Is he clutch(especially in the playoff)? That remains to be seen but so far this is a fantastic start.

Let's not have the perfect be the enemy of the good. Mac has many things to learn, like all rookies, and one of them is holding the ball too long. The comparison to Bledsoe, who was extremely talented but severely limited by a "let's just chuck it up and see what happens" mentality is pretty darn silly.

If Mac = Cam right now, then with growth, Mac>>>>Cam 1 year from now, with a year as a starter.

5 sacks, most of which came last night. He was with our 2s against their 1s, and he was moving around trying to find an open player. I don't mind it too much. I suspect in the regular season, he'd be instructed to throw away the ball or get it to a checkdown. Maybe he just didn't want to risk an interception and preferred to just eat the sack. Not the worst thing I've seen. He took care of the ball and still put up the most yards and most completions of any rookie quarterback this preseason.
If people would objectively go back and re-watch last night's game, they'll see that 2 of the sacks were the results of Linemen backing into Jones. Karras was on skates last night and was continuously pushed backwards. One time he was pushed right back into Jones leading to a sack. Another sack came when Cajuste backed into Jones despite not being engaged with a defender. It was one of the most perplexing things I've seen.

People seem to forget just how many sacks Brady took his rookie year and in his first few years. From 2001- 2006, Brady never took less than 26 sacks and his 2001 season he took 41. Hell, despite the O-lines Brady has had, he's only taken less than 20 sacks in 2 seasons (not including 2008). They were 2009 and 2016.

Mac Jones is Drew Bledsoe without the cannon.

Slow and holds the ball too long as if posing for a statue.
First off, anyone that believes that the 3% tattoo is affiliated with Nazis is a drama queen moron.

Secondly Sowflake, Mac looks like a back up out there.
I watched last night for the first time.

Preseason isn't real football, but Mac isn't the answer if that game is the best he has.
Get the champagne ready.
Like I stated, pre season is not a real QB barometer. In most games the opponent is not out to take off the QBs head.

Why didn't you post how many times Mac was sacked? How many times Mac held the ball far too long?

I'm not sold like all the Homer's on here that are pro Mac like they were with Stidham.

neanderthals-exlarge-169 copy 3.jpg

I really liked a few throws Mac had. His seam TD to Zuber, a couple of his throws on the move to Asiasi. He wasn't just throwing screens, he shows he's not afraid. Of course the sacks weren't great, but our 3rd string OL doesn't help at all, and he didn't have 2TE sets, or top WR's to work with. What's the status of Andrews anyway?
I agree. Just as I predicted before the draft, Mac is the real the deal. The Patriots, so far as we know, got the steal of the draft. San Fran got robbed. IIRC I predicted that Kyle Wilson and Mac Jones would be excellent. Trevor Lawrence is looking better than I thought he would. Lance? Who knows...

Mac looks like he's going to be really good in this system. He's accurate, moves within the pocket well and seems to make good reads. I'd still prefer to go with Cam this year so that Mac can get a full year to learn the system before he plays meaningful minutes. Even with Cam as the starter, I'd be shocked if he played every game this year so Mac will get a couple starts.

This team is going to lean so heavy on the run game this year, so if the QB can hit on play action throws, read the defense and make short completions then I expect success. Mac Jones can do all those things.
It's pretty clear he already knows the system. Certainly a lot better than Cam does.

Mac Jones is Drew Bledsoe without the cannon.

Slow and holds the ball too long as if posing for a statue.
wait what GIF

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back