PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Debunking Brady being "carried" to Super Bowls by his defense

So now the injury excuses...Seattle had plenty of injury excuses when Cliff Avril (their best pass rusher) went down in SB 49 and Sherman playing on one arm. Not to mention Jeremy Lane got injured and they had some backup named Tharold Simon getting picked on by Brady.

He was healthy enough to lead two scoring drives in SB 42. No excuses.

Yup, and Brady's perfect. :rolleyes:If he loses a game, it was someone else's fault. How dare Belichick not do more so Tommy can win 10 super bowls?!!?
the sandlot killing me smalls GIF

Yup, and Brady's perfect. :rolleyes:If he loses a game, it was someone else's fault. How dare Belichick not do more so Tommy can win 10 super bowls?!!?
I don't recall anyone - other than the Butler game - blaming Bill for a SB loss. The closest you can come to that in terms of someone else getting blamed was when they caught Gisele cursing out Welker, but other than that, no one here blamed Bill for much of anything.

Reactions: sb1
I don't recall anyone - other than the Butler game - blaming Bill for a SB loss. The closest you can come to that in terms of someone else getting blamed was when they caught Gisele cursing out Welker, but other than that, no one here blamed Bill for much of anything.

@sb1 blames Bill for every super bowl loss. sB 52 is mainly the Bill’s fault I would agree.

• Ha Ha
@sb1 blames Bill for every super bowl loss. sB 52 is mainly the Bill’s fault I would agree.
I do?

It's not an opinion that Brady gave the defense the lead late in 42 and 46 and the defense failed to get a stop both times, it's a fact. It is what it is.

List of all the posters who think Brady is perfect every time:

I do?

It's not an opinion that Brady gave the defense the lead late in 42 and 46 and the defense failed to get a stop both times, it's a fact. It is what it is.

It's factually incorrect. Brady did not give the Pats the lead "late" in SB 46. He gave the pats the lead with like 11 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter. It's unreasonable to expect a defense to not allow any more points for most of the 3rd and 4th quarters. Brady didn't show up the rest of the game. That is a fact.

Also a fact is that Brady did squat until the end of SB 42...when the Giants defense was tired. He didn't do much for the rest of the game. You can't show up late to the party and expect to be the hero. BTW, this was the MOST IMPORTANT game in NFL HISTORY. If you're the GOAT, you need to show up.

It's factually incorrect. Brady did not give the Pats the lead "late" in SB 46. He gave the pats the lead with like 11 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter. It's unreasonable to expect a defense to not allow any more points for most of the 3rd and 4th quarters. Brady didn't show up the rest of the game. That is a fact.

Also a fact is that Brady did squat until the end of SB 42...when the Giants defense was tired. He didn't do much for the rest of the game. You can't show up late to the party and expect to be the hero. BTW, this was the MOST IMPORTANT game in NFL HISTORY. If you're the GOAT, you need to show up.
Re SB46 - I stand corrected but Welker's drop was with 4 minutes left in the game. Would have probably clinched the championship if he caught it. The team still had a lead though and the defense then allowed an 88 yard drive for the game winning TD. Brady and the offense still got them that lead and the defense let them down as they did in Super Bowl 42. That's a fact.

Brady played all right in Super Bowl 42 despite being under relentless pressure thanks to an OL that wasn't getting it done.

Re SB46 - I stand corrected but Welker's drop was with 4 minutes left in the game. Would have probably clinched the championship if he caught it. The team still had a lead though and the defense then allowed an 88 yard drive for the game winning TD. Brady and the offense still got them that lead and the defense let them down as they did in Super Bowl 42. That's a fact.

Brady played all right in Super Bowl 42 despite being under relentless pressure thanks to an OL that wasn't getting it done.

Again, a defense doesn't let a team down simply because it didn't shut them out for a large part of the game. If an offense only scores a TD on the opening drive and the D proceeds to give up 10 points for the remainder of the game, no sane person would blame the defense for a 10-7 loss.

Regarding SB42. Brady said himself in the Man in the Arena series he wasn't able to decipher the Giants blitzes...that's on the QB. Outside of the first drive and last drive, he was pretty bad. Even when he had time to throw he was missing receivers all over the place. 27 seconds left to go in the game the Pats get the ball back with three timeouts. All Brady had to do was move the ball 40 yards or so - that can be done on 3 passes (each followed by a timeout).

I do?

I've got to say @MAC10, I don't get the impression that @sb1 puts them on Bill and I don't either. I've simply just accepted that they needed to make a couple of plays they couldn't make after Brady gave them back the lead ... the defense simply couldn't hold it.

Coaches don't play, the players do and those players defensively just couldn't quite close the deal. It sucks, but "it is what it is" and I think @sb1 and most people feel the same way.

All Brady had to do was move the ball 40 yards or so - that can be done on 3 passes (each followed by a timeout).
But he didn't and it didn't help that the Giants defense beat up on the Pats O'Line the whole game and brought pressure up the middle. You can't get the ball out if you can't see and don't have time to throw. We lost. Again, "it is what it is".

Man ... why do you keep making us relive that game? LOL, I'll say it again:

comedy GIF

• Winner
Regarding SB42. Brady said himself in the Man in the Arena series he wasn't able to decipher the Giants blitzes...
That's funny you mention that because there are posters I was arguing with a few years ago in denial the Giants were blitzing Brady. Contrary to popular belief, their front 4 got lots of help from extra blitzers who hadn't blitzed all year like Kawika Mitchell. Spags said he did this on purpose to try to throw off the Pats. McDaniels admitted he had no answers for what they were doing on D.

It's as clear as day when re-watching the game.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
That's funny you mention that because there are posters I was arguing with a few years ago in denial the Giants were blitzing Brady. Contrary to popular belief, their front 4 got lots of help from extra blitzers who hadn't blitzed all year like Kawika Mitchell. Spags said he did this on purpose to try to throw off the Pats. McDaniels admitted he had no answers for what they were doing on D.

It's as clear as day when re-watching the game.
They said multiple times bringing guys up the middle and getting in his face and off his spot was the key to beating him. They killed New England's offensive line all game and Brady was even caught on video saying it was "like trying to throw through a forest". The killer was the fact they were bringing pressure most of the time without an extra man and it wasn't coming from the outside. By the time they adjusted when they started moving Brady around, it was too late. On that last drive, they knew what was coming and tee'd off on him. Brutal.

Again, special thanks to @MAC10 for making me think about that game. He loves bringing it up.

frustrated bang head on desk GIF

The only thing I agree with @MAC10 about is he keeps bringing up the 80s with Montana. The 80s were good times. :cool:

a-ha GIF

I feel like @MAC10 went through a full season drought without winning the picks contest at least once during all 18 weeks and that's why he's torturing us. Really pulling for him next season so maybe he'll ease up and stop making us talk about those games :cool:

But he didn't and it didn't help that the Giants defense beat up on the Pats O'Line the whole game and brought pressure up the middle. You can't get the ball out if you can't see and don't have time to throw. We lost. Again, "it is what it is".

Man ... why do you keep making us relive that game? LOL, I'll say it again:

comedy GIF
In our old age (let's face it, we're old) we dwell on the losses more than we celebrate the wins. It's natural. When we win, we simply say we did our job. Mission accomplished.

Our coaches messed up 42. They're not perfect and, even if we'd won, that team was NOT the best all time. We would have only tied Foola's '72 team for best record (not anybody's fault about the number of games).

I acknowledge that it was stupid for Fairbanks to have Russ Francis attempt that pass that was not surprisingly picked off in the first half in Oakland. The Smith 50-yard attempt was very risky, but that one wasn't so horrible a gamble.

But that game was stolen and given to the opponent. Not by one bad call, but a tsunami of wrong/biased calls(Unsportsmanlike Conduct!!!).

Like everything prior to 1993, what increases the necessity for debunking is the endless media propaganda that we sucked, which is only barely more than the Bledsoe-worship which makes the guy look like the GOAT, despite the fact he couldn't carry Grogan's, Parilli's, Plunkett's, Flutie's or Brady's jockstrap.

They said multiple times bringing guys up the middle and getting in his face and off his spot was the key to beating him. They killed New England's offensive line all game and Brady was even caught on video saying it was "like trying to throw through a forest". The killer was the fact they were bringing pressure most of the time without an extra man and it wasn't coming from the outside. By the time they adjusted when they started moving Brady around, it was too late. On that last drive, they knew what was coming and tee'd off on him. Brutal.

Again, special thanks to @MAC10 for making me think about that game. He loves bringing it up.

frustrated bang head on desk GIF
Josh (do not miss him) dropping Brady back to pass repeatedly was stupider than Perkins doing the same with Who Said So, and only giving Martin 11 carries.

Rushing the passer was the only, single, one(1) thing that Giants team did effectively that whole year.

I feel like @MAC10 went through a full season drought without winning the picks contest at least once during all 18 weeks and that's why he's torturing us. Really pulling for him next season so maybe he'll ease up and stop making us talk about those games :cool:
Now I'll be rooting for him every week!

• Agree
So much hatred for Brady brought on by Brady.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back