PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Debunking Brady being "carried" to Super Bowls by his defense

3 Point Joe couldn’t go 9-0 or 10-0 because he couldn’t win the games it took to get there.
I'm not going to crap on Montana because prior to Brady, he was unreal and he's still the 2nd best to ever do it. I get the fact he never lost a Super Bowl, but Brady has won nearly double the number of games and appeared in more than double compared to Montana...that's not exactly something an average person can dismiss.

I'm not going to crap on Montana because prior to Brady, he was unreal and he's still the 2nd best to ever do it. I get the fact he never lost a Super Bowl, but Brady has won nearly double the number of games and appeared in more than double compared to Montana...that's not exactly something an average person can dismiss.
When you are faced with someone crapping on the best, you need to show them the crap of the second best.

Honestly, @MAC10 I'd be on board your train for that discussion if Brady was 6-4 or 5-5, which is why I sort of always preferred to see them get bounced in the playoffs than to see him lose a Super Bowl. I didn't have a lot of confidence against Seattle and the way it was looking, I didn't think the defense would keep them off the board. I had the same feeling about the Rams. Yet, they won both games and he did enough to help them win. That's what the great ones do.

You can keep harping on the Giants - but we've covered it. On Philadelphia, we've talked about that one as well because Brady outplayed Foles, but the defense never recovered with Butler out. Foles played out of his mind that day, which has sort of been a theme when it comes to no name guys lighting up their defense (look at Davis Mills this past season)...it's strange and I don't quite get it. But I have more issues with their defensive philosophies over that span than I do anything else. But that's a story for another thread :cool:

Needless to say, I don't get what we're still doing. He's the best ever. I know you're trying to needle people, but the stats and the championships are what they are ;)

Ian, c'mon. You're the one who said QBs have an off game ever once in a while. I am merely stating the fact that Montana in the Super Bowl didn't have an off game...not even once. His quarterback rating in the super bowl is literally 30 points higher than Brady's. And he played in an era much less friendly to QBs. And he played exclusively under center and not in the shot gun (which has major advantages to getting rid of the ball quickly). For some reason some folks here get twisted about that...like they can't admit another QB was better in the super bowl than Tommy.

And I'm sure you realize Brady was one Malcolm Butler INT and Dee Ford offsides FROM being 5-4 in the super bowl. Are you really just going to dismiss things just because of two plays? And yes Tyree and Manningham made those miracle plays but as discussed Brady didn't even play well in those games/

It’s what happens when you face the greatest defensive coach of all time in two of those three years. Montana lost to quality opponents in the playoffs, not Eli or Foles.
And Brady lost to an unreal Giants defense that came together down the stretch with some guy named Michael Strahan, along with a future Hall of Fame coach in Coughlin. Not exactly a bunch of nobodies ;)

Ian, c'mon. You're the one who said QBs have an off game ever once in a while. I am merely stating the fact that Montana in the Super Bowl didn't have an off game...not even once. His quarterback rating in the super bowl is literally 30 points higher than Brady's. And he played in an era much less friendly to QBs. And he played exclusively under center and not in the shot gun (which has major advantages to getting rid of the ball quickly). For some reason some folks here get twisted about that...like they can't admit another QB was better in the super bowl than Tommy.

And I'm sure you realize Brady was one Malcolm Butler INT and Dee Ford offsides FROM being 5-4 in the super bowl. Are you really just going to dismiss things just because of two plays? And yes Tyree and Manningham made those miracle plays but as discussed Brady didn't even play well in those games/
Still have to win the games and do enough to win. I'm not arguing Super Bowl performances because you could pull out four Super Bowls out of the 10 where Brady played well. And most of Montana's success came with an unbelievable cast of characters prior to the salary cap era...although I'm guessing you probably don't want to talk about that? :cool:

I believe Brady was 3-0 in Super Bowls prior to the salary cap era as well...so....

3 Point Joe loses to Cincy twice if not for a goal line stand and a dropped Int.
You aren’t going to haggle over 4-0 bud 2-2 over 2 plays are you?

For some reason some folks here get twisted about that...like they can't admit another QB was better in the super bowl than Tommy.
And I'll give you that ... but at the same time, look at San Francisco's defense back then compared to New England's. It's a lot easier to run it up and have a big day when you've got guys like that getting you the ball back ;)

You're dreaming if you think Montana goes 9-0 (or 10-0). Highly unlikely.

Again, I see what you're doing but you're just digging for flaws that sure, are there, just like other players - but they're few and far between. However, Brady's overall body of work exceeds Montana's, as does the number of rings. Period. "It is what it is" ;)
Digging for flaws? Hes already got every mistake and flaw cataloged and tagged so precisely that it puts the Dewey Decimal system to shame. :)

• Ha Ha
Reactions: Ian
Still have to win the games and do enough to win. I'm not arguing Super Bowl performances because you could pull out four Super Bowls out of the 10 where Brady played well. And most of Montana's success came with an unbelievable cast of characters prior to the salary cap era...although I'm guessing you probably don't want to talk about that? :cool:

I believe Brady was 3-0 in Super Bowls prior to the salary cap era as well...so....

Salary cap started in 1994 in the NFL. Brady had to play in the salary cap era, but had the advantage of free agency, which Montana did not. Where would Brady be if it weren't for free agents like Rodney, amendola, revis, ninkovich, vrabel, or gilmore? So it call it a wash.

And I'll give you that ... but at the same time, look at San Francisco's defense back then compared to New England's. It's a lot easier to run it up and have a big day when you've got guys like that getting you the ball back ;)

They were good defenses, but Brady had some awesome defenses as well.

Brady didn't have a single super bowl win blowout until he joined the Bucs. Montana had 3 (including the first cincinatti super bowl which was a blowout until the Bengals scored a garbage time TD at the end).

We are basically arguing quality vs quantity here.

Reactions: Ian
Mac10 stealing inflatable doll to dress it up like Joe Cool.

incel.gif

Salary cap started in 1994 in the NFL.
Yeah, that was dumb. I looked to see what year it started and pulled up the hockey one. You would think I’d know that considering Miguel started his Patriots cap site around the same time I did. #fail

Mac10 enjoying eating ffs while trolling Patsfans.

LonelyFeistyBovine-size_restricted.gif

Mac10 enjoying eating ffs while trolling Patsfans.

View attachment 42375
Ok, enough ;)

the sandlot killing me smalls GIF

Mac10 making the argument Montana is co-GOAT w/ Tom Brady.

GettyImages_1040377.jpg

Do you really believe that Montana would have been perfect if he played in six more of them? Obviously, there’s no way to know, but either way, he never made it to that many. So given that Brady’s won almost twice as many and been to more than double the amount, I feel like that’s a wash, so the edge would still have to go to Brady overall :cool:

I actually watched that movie for the first time the other night (the Sandlot) - thought I had seen it years ago but apparently not, even though I knew the saying, like the rest of the world. Highly recommend it if you haven’t seen it. Great movie and obviously a classic. (It’s on Disney+)

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back