PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeAndre Hopkins is available

Nelson Agholor had a $14,882,345 cap hit this year
...they won't be making that mistake again.

At the time of the signing, the justification for Agholor was he was 27, coming off his best year as a pro, productive throughout his career and had played well in championship games.

So we could literally ditch Agholor and replace him with Hopkins for a $4 mill increase in 2023, and stay flat in 2024 (with option of extending him 2 years to spread it out even more)
OK what would that look like?

3y/$46m

$15m bonus
2022- Age 31.Dead money: $7m. Salary: $3m. Incentives: $10m
2023- Age 32.Dead money: $6m. Salary $3m. Incentives: $7m
2024: Age 33. Dead money: $2m. Salary :$3m. Incentives: $5m

Even still I don't like it. Too old and hasn't been healthy 2 years in a row.

Wouldn't we subtract bonuses and such? Arizona would pay some of it. Or are these the figures after taking all that into account?
The rest of his deal is all cash. Salary, workout bonuses etc.

Those are the #s

I love Hopkins and I would be all for this. He is the best contested ball catcher in the league IMO and relies more on route running and boxing out defenders than speed so he should age well. He had 64 catches for 717 yards in 9 games. That would be 1350 and 120 catches over a full season. He has not been healthy last couple seasons but was always durable before then.

His contract is pretty good for a WR1 - do we think he would want more money? That's what would worry me. I would be ok to part with a 1st for him (though not our current 1st).

Age and injuries are the major concerns.

A 26 year old Hopkins is a top 5 WR

A 31 y/o oft-injured Hopkins is not and to pay him $12m w/o conditions based on snaps and performance is irresponsible.
Is he better than Jakobi Meyers for the same money though, that's the only part I'm pushing back against.

I see a 2-3 year window, and to me it's a clear upgrade, even if Hopkins is a top-25 WR and not top-5.

Anyone saying no don't ever get to complain about the "#1 WR" thing again

Compensation- Hopkins has a huge say as he has a no-trade clause. Also Cardinals kind of boned themselves with the deal they got him for. 2nd & 4th is what they got him for. 2023 2nd and 2024 4th that conditionally that could become and a 3rd would be a fair deal.

Salary - We all know that can be easily worked around. It wouldn't be the 30m hit he has. It would only be the base salaries he carries over and is 2 years. Could easily re-do that and make it 3-4 years, giving him a good amount up-front with a low cap hit for 2023

Age- A lot of people would want Devante Adams if he was offered who is only 6 months younger.

Production- In 8 games this year he had 713 yards, projected out over 17 games that's a pace of 1,515 it would have put him behind only Jefferson, Hill and Adams.

We all saw the video of Bill and him from this year. Reportedly Bill has inquired about him before. and I know it's never been reported but Hopkins going off the board in 2013 2 picks before the Pats pick is the reason they traded back. Pats picked 2 WRs that draft. Hopkins was 100% probably on the board at WR for them.

Needs to be done. It would mean Meyers is gone but I would make that switch easily. Agholor was just a 14m cap hit so there is no reason other than Hopkins didn't want to come or some other team offered a better deal.

Is he better than Jakobi Meyers for the same money though, that's the only part I'm pushing back against.
I don't think Meyers is getting $15m AAV.
I see a 2-3 year window, and to me it's a clear upgrade, even if Hopkins is a top-25 WR and not top-5.
It's a talent upgrade no question but there are other factors.

oft-injured Hopkins

Where is that coming from? In 8 seasons with Houston he missed 2 games. In Arizona in '21 he missed 3 games because of a hamstring and then tore his MCL in week 14 and was put IR. He missed the last 2 games this season because he tweaked his knee and there was really no reason to play thru injury given the Cardinals had nothing to play for.

Hopkins has missed 15 games the last 2 seasons.

You cant help the club from the whirlpool tub.

In fairness, his games missed this year were mostly because of a PED suspension. But of course, it was a PED suspension. So that isn't exactly a positive.

He is a big fan of Belichick.

I think that clip shows Bill loves him more than anything. I have no doubt we'll be interested, but my guess is some contenders with more established QBs will be as well.

I think that clip shows Bill loves him more than anything. I have no doubt we'll be interested, but my guess is some contenders with more established QBs will be as well.

There is reportedly mutual love. The Pats at least explored the option of trading for him when he was still in Houston and Brady was still here. It just never happened.

I am not sure what other teams are going to be interested, but he still might want to play for Belichick and might like the idea of playing savior of the Patriots offense.

Did you miss this play?

View attachment 49014

That was as beautiful a deep ball as it gets and it bounced right off of Parker's facemask

I'd take 1 elite WR in Hopkins who's made a hall of fame career playing with garbage teams and QBs over 2 JAGs
Parker had to slow down and go back for an underthrown ball.

Pro QBs lay the ball out front of the WR.

Watch the play in real time.

Probably somewhere around Hill’s $120M/4yrs that’s really $75M/3 plus a fake inflated fourth year. Adams is older and got a little less ($67.5M/3yrs plus two inflated years at the end), but the cap is higher than a year ago and Adams claims he took less money to play in LV.

Too much depending on the guarantees.

He's played a lot of games.

No, thanks. I’d rather see what’s going on with Pittman or Aiyuk. Younger, more durable the last couple of years, and both players would fill a role that we absolutely need on O.

It's really all about the guaranteed money, though, isn't it?

People said the same when we got Moss, but the risk reward was ridiculous.

I doubt they could maneuver that in their favor, but if they could, this would be a coup.

It's possible they could get Hopkins, and keep Meyers.

Between Parker and Bourne they save about 13 million by cutting them with only a small 1.5 million loss. I don't know the specifics, but they look like very tradable contracts to me.

Hopkins/Meyers/Thornton and pick up some vet on the cheap is a real WR crew.

Hopkins has missed 15 games the last 2 seasons.

You cant help the club from the whirlpool tub.
Pats are good
We have Part-time Parker

The only time Hopkins was effective this season (after his six game PED suspension) was when Murray was available. Other than that he was of no use to the team due to the lack of QB play and their OL play. Given that the Pats QB and OL play is only slightly better than what Arizona had w/o Murray, what makes you think he will be effective here?

I don't think that AZ has Murray in their plans for the futire, He is another option QB disaster and AZ needs some stability at that position.

I smell Ocho Cinco 2.0.

This is where I am at too....

But another factors are the compensation we would need to give the Cardinals as well as whether he would want a raise...

Me? I offer the Cardinals one of our comp 4ths and tell Hops to play one year then we'll get back to the negotiating table about an extension...

Hops and Parker to go along with our 2 TE's in the red zone....I love it. And Thorton will be running one on one outside when the opposition puts two guys on Hops every play...

He seems cooked and is going on the same path of irrelevancy as AJ Green and Julio Jones.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back