PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day after 2018 cut downs - who returns punts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember when he threw an int and we lost?

LOL, it's the percentages man....

Fair catching a punt with an inexperienced guy is the better play than not most of the time. The first four weeks, we are playing quiet possibly the best pass rushing duo in the NFL, the best defense in the NFL, our former DC's new team, and the Cam Wake and Co..... field position will be huge in those games. I'd rather not give up a short field. Let Brady move the chains and punt it away if needed.

Now, if the gunners are blocked and there's real estate...sure...run it up the field a little, but FOCUS on catching it #1, IMO.

LOL, it's the percentages man....

Fair catching a punt with an inexperienced guy is the better play than not most of the time. The first four weeks, we are playing quiet possibly the best pass rushing duo in the NFL, the best defense in the NFL, our former DC's new team, and the Cam Wake and Co..... field position will be huge in those games. I'd rather not give up a short field. Let Brady move the chains and punt it away if needed.

Now, if the gunners are blocked and there's real estate...sure...run it up the field a little, but FOCUS on catching it #1, IMO.
You have never played football have you?

Until you muff a punt and create turnovers or poor field position for your offense.
Let me understand this.

You are suggesting that Bill Belichick tells his team they are the only team in nfl history who can figure out how to return a punt. They have no one capable of catching them running. So we are going to give up on punt returns and let the other team not have to stop us and just call a fair catch?

So,Cyrus Jones could be a nuclear physicist, but not a Patriot.
Doubt he could be either but there are plenty of people out there who are capable of running after catching a punt.

Certainly watched more of it from the couch.
That answers my question, I will drop this conversation, have a nice day.

Let me understand this.

You are suggesting that Bill Belichick tells his team they are the only team in nfl history who can figure out how to return a punt. They have no one capable of catching them running. So we are going to give up on punt returns and let the other team not have to stop us and just call a fair catch?
The question was posed with no true punt returner what could or should happen. I suggested IF the coaching staff wasn't comfortable with a more explosive person than the sure handed Chung, fair catches were a better alternative than possible turnovers and bad field position. Edelman who is sure handed and has a history of being an accomplished punt returner will be back in week 4.

The question was posed with no true punt returner what could or should happen. I suggested IF the coaching staff wasn't comfortable with a more explosive person than the sure handed Chung, fair catches were a better alternative than possible turnovers and bad field position. Edelman who is sure handed and has a history of being an accomplished punt returner will be back in week 4.
Why would we be at this point and the coaching staff has no confidence that an important job has no guy they think I’d capable of?
They would have kept other players if that were the case
I get we don’t know who it is, but it isn’t nobody or Chung.
I’m guessing hogan, Patterson or Burkhead.

Doubt he could be either but there are plenty of people out there who are capable of running after catching a punt.

I actually agree with you. They need to identify at least one punt returner for now and as a backup later. Pretty sure they can find one better than Chung.

Quick look shows zero punt return experience among young CBs Jones, Crossen and Jackson. J McCourty has some kick return experience, which doesn't equate to pr experience. Looks like Burkhead and pick up a wr/pr.

I actually agree with you. They need to identify at least one punt returner for now and as a backup later. Pretty sure they can find one better than Chung.

Quick look shows zero punt return experience among young CBs Jones, Crossen and Jackson. J McCourty has some kick return experience, which doesn't equate to pr experience. Looks like Burkhead and pick up a wr/pr.
Hogan, Patterson, Burkhead, Dorsett seem like the options.

Why would we be at this point and the coaching staff has no confidence that an important job has no guy they think I’d capable of?
They would have kept other players if that were the case
I get we don’t know who it is, but it isn’t nobody or Chung.
I’m guessing hogan, Patterson or Burkhead.
We'll find out next Sunday. My guess is deep in their own territory it'll be Chung from the their own 30 out I'm guessing Burkhead and if they are feeling comfortable and confident in the game situation (score, field position...) i wouldn't be surprised to see Patterson get an opportunity.

The Herald said Darboh returned punts for seattle, then later in the article said neither receiver had covered punts. That's called covering all your bases.

Hogan, Patterson, Burkhead, Dorsett seem like the options.

Dorsett has 2 pr for 1 yard, Patterson has one and Hogan has zero. Seems like we're whistling past the graveyard if we think we're going to throw one of them in at this point.

Someone else can look up their college stats but I think it's a fact that we have very few experienced punt returners.

Burkhead had 11 pr in college. All together that's subpar IMO if you think punt returns are important, which I do.

Dorsett has 2 pr for 1 yard, Patterson has one and Hogan has zero. Seems like we're whistling past the graveyard if we think we're going to throw one of them in at this point.
They have all returned punts to in camp.

Someone else can look up their college stats but I think it's a fact that we have very few experienced punt returners.

Burkhead had 11 pr in college. All together that's subpar IMO if you think punt returns are important, which I do.
You don’t have to have experience to do well.

I mean...assuming the Pats D even makes stops...we would get maybe 4-5 punts a game max...and the normal return rate on those returns is about 9-10 yards *if* returned at all..

We are talking about 40-50 yards of field position over the course of a game. I think Patterson alone can recover that...

When I was returning punts in practice in college, never in a real game, thank God, the biggest things was the coaches harped on was:

1.) never let the ball hit the ground in bounds.
2.) never lose yardage on a return. A fair catch is a better alternative.
3.) always make for the sideline and stretch the coverage team. Never take it up the middle where they can collapse on you and strip you of the ball.

Bottom line is if the ball hits the ground, it can roll a long way and cost you a ton of yardage. Those five opportunities a game can really hurt the team if not handled properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes