PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day 7 Patriots Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Nate will have a tough time sticking around.

They don't have a replacement for Harmon

I think Nate is a gonner

I think Harmon's replacement could be multiple players such as: Jones, Dawson, Obi...depending on game plan

Summary: Three of our DBs with the highest DB cap hit will be 32 years old in two weeks, the two McCourty's and Chung. I am reading much speculation in this thread about the Patriots trading Jones, Harmon, and others.

D. McCourty and Chung are two of my favorite Patriots, absolutely vital contributors. However, they probably won't be on the Patriots roster for too many more years, I don't think it would be very wise to trade one of our talented youngsters like Jones or Harmon. I guess we will see.

Jones will be gone next offseason. He will get a pretty big contract (10M+) on the open market like some of the other slot CBs in the last 1-2 years.

Players like him are goners.

Shelton, Guy, Pennel should lead to a much improved run defense.

To repeat/modify what I said about Shelton:

If Pennel can just be 2016 Branch....

Last edited:
I think Nate is a gonner

I think Harmon's replacement could be multiple players such as: Jones, Dawson, Obi

I don't see why would they cut Harmon. I see Obi replacing Ebner on the 53 roster projection. Don't see the need to cut Harmon. He is a pretty solid player.

I don't see why would they cut Harmon. I see Obi replacing Ebner on the 53 roster projection. Don't see the need to cut Harmon. He is a pretty solid player.

Yeah i don't think they will cut Harmon either. Trade? Maybe

I think Nate is a gonner

I think Harmon's replacement could be multiple players such as: Jones, Dawson, Obi...depending on game plan
Big fan of Nate's.

I'm not happy about it but its starting to look that way.

I'm starting to wonder if DMC isn't long for this world.

I'm starting to wonder if DMC isn't long for this world.
It's not like he's lost top end speed. We need him to deal with Tyreek Hill. You saw what happened when Harmon is back there.

And this as Luke Kuechly puts it.

Chung just got a revised deal. If cut its a $7.5 cap hit. Hes staying.

If they take out DMC they save $9.5m. Last year of his deal. I do find that situation curious.

I think Nate will have a tough time sticking around.

They don't have a replacement for Harmon

JJ is a steal at $3m. Could be trade bait. Who knows.

Thanks for the info on Chung's deal, it does look like he is staying.

Regarding whether or not J. Jones is trade bait, after my post I just noticed that he has received the kiss of death from BB, Training Camp praise:

Bill Belichick goes out of character, offers high praise for Jonathan Jones

the-godfather-part2.jpg

Oh well, he was fun to watch while he was here. :( ;)

It's not like he's lost top end speed. We need him to deal with Tyreek Hill. You saw what happened when Harmon is back there.

And this as Luke Kuechly puts it.

I am not advocating cutting DMC b/c he's "lost something".

Hes 32yrs old and has a ~$13m cap number. The team saves $9.5m if he goes away.

Stating facts.

Stating facts.

only way I could see this shocker if they can acquire Trent Williams that way and feel DMC lost a step. 32 years old is danger zone for DBs unfortunately.

only way I could see this shocker if they can acquire Trent Williams that way and feel DMC lost a step. 32 years old is danger zone for DBs unfortunately.

I was reading yesterday Curran was talking to Scott Pioli and they were discussing the Milloy cut. No one liked it but it happened. That got me to thinking. In that case, Milloy's play did drop off. DMC is still playing at a high level.

Cutting DMC would be on that level. Maybe worse.

The only thing that would soften the thud is if a TB12 extension was made public around the same time.

BB has gotten into the heads of everyone to the point where shocking moves are just expected.

Nothing will happen to DMC unless out of nowhere someone comes with an offer that can't be refused. But then they would be stuck with a 32 year old with a 13m cap hit as you put it. And he will most definitely not be cut. There is no reason for that as the defense doesn't need a wakeup call and there is no immediate need to clear money.

If that hit was too much they would have tried to do something about it in the offseason.

BB has gotten into the heads of everyone to the point where shocking moves are just expected.

Nothing will happen to DMC unless out of nowhere someone comes with an offer that can't be refused. But then they would be stuck with a 32 year old with a 13m cap hit as you put it.

If that hit was too much they would have tried to do something about it in the offseason.
Thats the thing. I DO think they have tried to do something to lower that number and keep him here (see Chung) longer than 2019 but both sides haven't figured it out yet.

No one takes DMC unless he signs an extension with them

Nobody can go on forever unless you have the number 12 on your back....teams have to get younger and free up cap space at the same time....obviously the skill is doing it and being a championship team at the same time......any volunteers

Harmon isn't being cut...If he is sent packing, it will be done via trade in an attempt to free up cap space needed to acquire Trent Williams or a similar player...don't know if the Skins need another Safety, however.

Thats the thing. I DO think they have tried to do something to lower that number and keep him here (see Chung) longer than 2019 but both sides haven't figured it out yet.

No one takes DMC unless he signs an extension with them

Which is exactly why he will either play out his final year on the current deal or might still sign a surprising extension to lower that hit before September.

There is not point in cutting him and in the process maybe screw over your entire backfield by taking away the backbone of the entire operation just to save 3-4m.

You can do the same with some creative accounting if it really is absolutely necessary. And right now it is not necessary at all. I guess folks just try to find ways to create space to get the "imaginary player of the week" onto the team. This week it is a 10M LT.

Stating facts.
Fair point. But who are you going to replace him with?

Or maybe it's just a fact of life that we notice and remember when the no-names flourish and the big-names wash out, and not the reverse? And that they sign maybe 10x as many no-names as big-names?

A ton of modest signings go nowhere every year and quickly vanish from memory. Meanwhile the 2 biggest names they ever signed were Moss and Revis, whom I recall as more than adequate. ;)
I’m referring more to the jag level players like was being discussed here. Inman is a name everyone knows and Harris was a name everyone didn’t. There is no question that fans call for the name they recognize but I think Belichick is more apt to sign the name you don’t recognize and be more successful with them.
In other words it seems that Belichick relies more on film than reputation and that seems to be the right approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes